Search Unity

Best way to learn unity/coding

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by phantomunboxing, Jan 12, 2016.

1. phantomunboxing

phantomunboxing

So far I have been learning unity by watching streams that are making unity games, and whenever I get stuck asking people on the forums. I feel bad because I post so much to the forums... -_-. I was wondering if there was a better way to learn unity, or a method you could reccomend.

2. tedthebug

tedthebug

start here
    http://unity3d.com/learn

& work your way through them from the beginning by actually doing them. When you finish start a new project & try to do it again on your own. This will help highlight the bits yuo need to review.

After that add something, or change something. This way you can learn how small changes can totally change the way the game works & this will help you with balancing but may also help you look at other games & say "I bet they did that bit to balance out this other bit" etc.

As you get ideas for games make notes. Start with the core mechanic & then add anything else in to help you remember. When you are ready to tackle it build a prototype of just the core mechanic to see if it is fun. You may find that playing it gives you a better idea for using it than you originally had.

Most of all, have fun (& save your ultimate favourite game idea til later)

JoeStrout and Ryiah like this.
  3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

You have 21 posts. When you get to 6000+ posts you should start worrying. ;)

The learn section is great. The other way I reccomend is to jump in and start helping other new users.

Welcome to the forums!

4. JrodDev

JrodDev

5. Farelle

Farelle

I don't know anymore where I was reading this, but I once found a very useful list of how to approach problem solving:
    1. try to solve it on your own (use ressources like documentation etc.) really! try it, give it atleast 30 - 60 minutes, because this also helps understanding better what exactly you need.
    2. google for your specific problem.
    3. still no luck? then try to find out which pieces your problem consists of, maybe you can piece together a solution from several similar problems.
    4. ask on forums

so far I always got my problems or things I wanted to solve done before I reached the forums part :)

Zaose and MurDocINC like this.