Search Unity

Best way to learn all the vocabulary - Advice?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by FoxyCornelius, Jan 7, 2021.

1. FoxyCornelius

FoxyCornelius

Hi, I've been trying to learn scripting for Unity for a while now, off and on, and it still overwhelms me. I have been doing tutorials and online courses, etc. and I'm currently doing the beginner scripting course on Learn.Unity. I don't have previous programming experience, except for a JavaScript course.

Because I don't have much devoted time/space in front of this it's been difficult to get anywhere with learning. There are so many possibilities of words that I could put in, to get any given statement. For example, I have to remember to use transform (lowercase "t") before I can use Translate, and then I get a nice code complete hint to remind me to put the coordinates, or a vector 3, but then if I want to be able to control the speed I need to use time.delta-something-or-other, inside the parenthesis for Translate, I think... etc.

There's just a lot to remember. Code complete is super helpful, but it doesn't do the full job unless you know how to start each statement. I know this will eventually come with practice and many, many tutorials, but I'm looking for advice about how you learned to code, and whether there's a better or faster way. Especially given my situation where it feels like I have to start over every time I pick this up after a week or month has passed.

I've been thinking of making some flashcards perhaps so that I can keep the terms and sequence fresh between tutorial sessions. Does anyone have some experience learning programming this way? There are hundreds or thousands of keywords and I'd need to memorize not only their definitions but their sequence in a statement, so I'm not really sure where to start.

2. Owen-Reynolds

Owen-Reynolds

Learning basic programming solves most of that. A C# book, or any book you like in any language. Then many of the things you thought you needed to memorize will turn into "well of course that has to be there".

After some practice with functions it will be obvious what goes in or outside of the parens. The things with dots are member functions. After a bit,
    Translate(x,y,,z)
    will just look wrong -- you're not calling your own Translate, you want Unity's which changes the transform. Clearly
    transform-dot
    goes in front. And so on. Some of your javascript should start coming back. It has functions and semi-colons and member functions (document.getElementById?)