Search Unity

Best way to implement ragdoll effect for main Character

Discussion in 'Physics' started by superluigi, Jan 11, 2015.

1. superluigi

superluigi

Hello world,
    I dont usually ever visit the forums but figured I'd keep this question away from Unity answers. So here's how I have my character set up. It has an animator, a capsule collider, and a rigidbody attached to main parent gameobject. There are a bunch of children which are all bones. The bones that are used for the ragdoll have a collider, a rigidbody, and the joint attached. I have all of these components turned off. Now for the fun part, when my character needs to go into ragdoll mode, I DISABLE the animator, collider, and gravity attached to the main Parent and Enable the collider and gravity on my ragdolled joints. So my question is: Is this a good way to implement a ragdoll effect on my character? I have read that some people have a separate ragdolled model and simply swap between models when they need to, but this seems like it might look a little glitchy. I'm asking for opinions here, so all answers welcome. Thanks in advance for any reply.

2. Nanako

Nanako

i don't have much knowledge of this personally, but i do know that when i do start getting into this topic, my first stop will be the unity asset store, to look at the existing packages for ragdoll functionality. At the very least to get an idea of how they do it.

And possibly to come to the realisation that it's too much effort to bother doing yourself, and buying a mature package to simplify it :p

3. superluigi

superluigi

no, it's not that difficult. At least I haven't been having any trouble. In fact, the way I explained it has been working for me so far.