Search Unity

Best way to handle transitions in a turn based game

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Flynn_Prime, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Flynn_Prime

Flynn_Prime

So I was just after some input for ways to handle transitions between battles in my game. Its a turn-based RPG and so I have a character that can run around a level, and when he runs into an enemy a battle will start. I have 2 scenes set-up for this but I'm wondering how to manage transitioning between the 2. I could load the battle as an additive, but then will I get issues with the original scene continuing to also play?

The other option is to load the new scene on its own, but then I have the issue of returning to the original scene post-battle.

What would you guys suggest?

2. dgoyette

dgoyette

It's a bit tricky depending on how complex your main level is. I think things become a lot easier for you to manage if you make them completely independent experiences, rather than loading things additively. Storing the state of the game before battle, and resuming it after battle, is a system I'd think you'd generally want/need anyway.

This gets to be a trickier question if you overworld / main map is resources heavy. It wouldn't be very enjoyable if there was a 10 second loading screen after every fight while you load the overworld again. So in those cases, I'd probably but the bullet and load things additively, and just deal with the complexity of having to make sure the overworld isn't effectively doing anything while the battle is going on.

That's my thought process. Keeping things independent helps you avoid subtle bugs, and it's just easier in general to develop. But it means having to save and reload the state of the game. But that's a pretty solvable issue.

3. Flynn_Prime

Flynn_Prime

Thank you for your input. I was thinking along the same lines. Some of my levels will be randomly generated so I may have to redo some of that to create a seed that I can store. Other than that I won't have a huge amount of data to store between scenes. Thanks again!