Search Unity

Best way to find Closest Target Entity?

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by CodeMonkeyYT, May 4, 2019.

1. CodeMonkeyYT

CodeMonkeyYT

Hey everyone,

I'm playing around with ECS trying to make a simple game with units fighting.
    So in order to do that I need the Entities to be able to find a target.

This is what I've come up with:
    I have Units and Targets and a UnitTargeting System to look for Targets
    Code (CSharp):
    2. // Target Tag
    3. public struct Target : IComponentData { public int dummy; }
    5. // Unit Tag
    6. public struct Unit : IComponentData { public int dummy; }
    8. // Added to Entity if has Target
    9. public struct UnitHasTarget : IComponentData {
    10.     public Entity target;
    11. }
    13. // System look for Targets
    14. public class UnitTargeting : ComponentSystem {
    16.     protected override void OnUpdate() {
    17.         Entities.WithNone<UnitHasTarget>().ForEach((Entity entity, ref Unit unit, ref Translation translation) => {
    18.             // Look for target with Entities that dont have a target yet
    19.             Entity foundEntityTarget = Entity.Null;
    20.             float3 unitPosition = translation.Value;
    21.             float3 targetPosition = float3.zero;
    23.             Entities.ForEach((Entity entityTarget, ref Target target, ref Translation targetTranslation) => {
    24.                 if (foundEntityTarget == Entity.Null) {
    25.                     // Has no target, set this one
    26.                     foundEntityTarget = entityTarget;
    27.                     targetPosition = targetTranslation.Value;
    28.                 } else {
    29.                     // Already has target, closest?
    30.                     if (math.distance(unitPosition, targetTranslation.Value) < math.distance(unitPosition, targetPosition)) {
    31.                         // New Target closer
    32.                         foundEntityTarget = entityTarget;
    33.                         targetPosition = targetTranslation.Value;
    34.                     }
    35.                 }
    36.             });
    39.             if (foundEntityTarget != Entity.Null) {
    40.                 // Found target
    41.                 PostUpdateCommands.AddComponent(entity, new UnitHasTarget { target = foundEntityTarget });
    42.             }
    43.         });
    44.     }
    46. }
    So there's two types of Entities: Units and Targets.

The UnitTargeting System does a ForEach on every Unit that does not have a Target and inside it does a ForEach cycling through all the Targets to find the closest.

Is this the best way to do it? Would this cause problems if it was jobified?
    The code works fine I'm just wondering if this is the best way.

Also I added the "dummy" fields since theres an error if the ComponentData is completely empty.
    ArgumentException: ArchetypeChunk.GetNativeArray<Unit> cannot be called on zero-sized IComponentData
    Is that intended?

Thanks!

Beerfootbandit likes this.
  2. tertle

tertle

You could use unity physics.

ArkadiuszR likes this.
  3. Shinyclef

Shinyclef

I achieved this scenario using Unity.Physics which provides a 'Closest Target' query.
    It's still in very early preview though (preview 2) and there are some quirks to figure out. It also doesn't support 2D colliders yet in case you were looking for those.

It can take up a lot of CPU if you have thousands of entities though.

4. sngdan

sngdan

If you had lots of targets to cycle through, you could use some spatial partitioning for them

5. CodeMonkeyYT

CodeMonkeyYT

How do you get the Closest with Physics? Doing a Raycast and Colliders? That sounds like it would be much slower.
    Is there another way? I haven't fully researched the new ECS Physics so not sure what "Closest Target" query you mean. Is there a function that gets the closest object without a collision?

Yeah I was thinking of implementing some sort of Quadrant System so I don't have to cycle through further away Entities.

6. Shinyclef

Shinyclef

Yes, one of the CollisionWorld.CalculateDistance overloads returns the closest hit within a maximum range. But you are right, it's not fast (or maybe it is depending on what you're comparing with), as physics is super early, it's stateless, and does not support 2D yet (which is my case). I'm going this route for the time being so I can work on other things while unity physics develops and 'hopefully' gets faster.

This is my 'NearestEnemy' system job which uses UnityPhysics. I use a min update interval of 0.2s to keep the cost manageable.

I have about 3k entities all looking for the closest enemy @ 60fps at the moment. The job takes something like 5ms. I'm considering ways to improve this. But for me, I'm happy with letting the unity physics team worry about things like bounding volumes on my behalf for the time being haha.

Code (CSharp):
    1.     [BurstCompile]
    2.     private struct NearestCastJob : IJobForEachWithEntity<Translation, Rotation, PhysicsCollider, NearestEnemy>
    3.     {
    4.         public float Time;
    5.         [ReadOnly] public CollisionWorld CollisionWorld;
    7.         public void Execute(Entity entity, int index, [ReadOnly] ref Translation tran, [ReadOnly] ref Rotation rot, [ReadOnly] ref PhysicsCollider col, ref NearestEnemy nearestEnemy)
    8.         {
    9.             if (Time - nearestEnemy.LastRefreshTime < MinUpdateInterval)
    10.             {
    11.                 return;
    12.             }
    14.             unsafe
    15.             {
    16.                 CollisionFilter filter = new CollisionFilter
    17.                 {
    18.                     CategoryBits = 1u << (int)PhysicsLayer.RayCast,
    19.                     MaskBits = 1u << (int)PhysicsLayer.Ships,
    20.                     GroupIndex = col.ColliderPtr->Filter.GroupIndex
    21.                 };
    23.                 PointDistanceInput pointInput = new PointDistanceInput
    24.                 {
    25.                     Position = tran.Value,
    26.                     MaxDistance = nearestEnemy.QueryRange,
    27.                     Filter = filter
    28.                 };
    30.                 DistanceHit hit;
    31.                 CollisionWorld.CalculateDistance(pointInput, out hit);
    33.                 Entity hitEntity = CollisionWorld.Bodies[hit.RigidBodyIndex].Entity;
    34.                 if (hitEntity == entity)
    35.                 {
    36.                     nearestEnemy.Entity = Entity.Null;
    37.                 }
    38.                 else
    39.                 {
    40.                     nearestEnemy.Entity = CollisionWorld.Bodies[hit.RigidBodyIndex].Entity;
    41.                 }
    43.                 nearestEnemy.LastRefreshTime = Time;
    44.                 //Logger.Log($"{entity} found {nearestEnemy.Entity}.");
    45.             }
    46.         }
    47.     }
    upload_2019-5-6_0-20-32.png
    upload_2019-5-6_0-19-5.png

I'm sure things could be better than this implementation though...

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    slushieboy99 likes this.
  7. cort_of_unity

cort_of_unity

Unity Technologies

The Boids ECS sample uses a NativeMultiHashMap for efficient spatial partitioning of a large number of entities to determine which boids should influence each other's flocking behavior. It's a relatively short hop from there to "give me the closest entity". Might be worth a look!

CodeSmile, mulova, WAYNGames and 2 others like this.
  8. JodyMagnopus

JodyMagnopus

Correct me if I am wrong but if entities are near cell borders, it will not detect them as neighbors. Does that sound right?

slushieboy99 likes this.
  9. Sarkahn

Sarkahn

In boids entities are represented by a single point in space so that's not a possibility in that case. If your entities are represented by a collision bounds then you need to adjust for that by inserting all entities into all regions they overlap and adjust your collision checks accordingly.

slushieboy99 likes this.
  10. Antypodish

Antypodish

Some spatial options are, Octree for 3D, quadtree for 2D can help with finding near entities.
    Mentioned Boids another alternative.

slushieboy99 likes this.
  11. JodyMagnopus

JodyMagnopus

I think it is a possibility as boids should be affected by nearby boids. In Unity's example, if 2 nearby boids are right next to each other in different cells (near the border) they will not affect each other. What about this is wrong?

slushieboy99 likes this.
  12. Antypodish

Antypodish

Providing I understand the problem, is that boid case, takes only nearby points, located in same cell, or overlapping cell.
    Bordered neighbor cell boid's points are ignored.
    But to be honest, I would need to look back, into boid's cell definition.

slushieboy99 likes this.
  13. slushieboy99

slushieboy99

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
  14. MostHated

MostHated

CodeSmile and charleshendry like this.
  15. Antypodish

Antypodish

It depends on the application.
    If you have static entities, then you can generate KDTree.
    However, if entities are dynamic and moving, KDTree probably is not really a best option. Not sure if it can be multithreaded.

In our project, where many thousands of units move, we use brute force hashing system, to generate possible targets.
    Then we search nearby cells.
    Multithreaded and bursted solution.

16. tertle

tertle

I have a very fast spatial hash map that I use to calculate the nearest neighbours of entities every frame in my implementation of the ORCA simulation.
    https://gitlab.com/tertle/com.bovinelabs.core/-/blob/0.9/BovineLabs.Core/Spatial/SpatialMap.cs

It's fast enough you can rebuild it every frame, taking just 0.56ms for 200,000 entities on a single thread utilizing a lot of custom extensions to hashmaps.

This demo finds the 10 nearest neighbours for each entity every frame to avoid colliding. It's not good for anything else other than nearest neighbors though.

-edit-

I should add it is a touch slower in 1.0 now over 0.51 due to it having to use MemCpySlice instead of MemCpy for the positions in the new transform system...

-edit2-

actually I forgot I significantly improved performance since i made this generic and re-usable compared to the previous screenshot (populatespatialhashmap is now the calculatemap part now)

upload_2022-12-9_17-46-45.png

At this level of density
    upload_2022-12-9_17-49-14.png
    upload_2022-12-9_17-52-4.png

Lookups are around 7.5ms to find up to 10 neighbours for 200,000 entities which while still really good imo, especially for a spatial container that can build every frame so quickly, I would like to improve somehow

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    CodeSmile, likk, mgear and 11 others like this.
  17. morphex

morphex

@tertle
    Just ouf of curiosity how are you finding the "10" closest entities in your example?

I was under the impression that you could only search on a specific radius with SpatialHash structures, are you just creating a massive radius around the entitiy - or are you somehow not using a radius at all?

Wouldn`t the calculation of buckets be really ëxpensive in that scenario?

With that in mind - how are you calculating the buckets to search in then in your example? :)

18. tertle

tertle

Sorry should have been clearer.
    It just finds the 10 closest neighbours within a radius, if there are less, less are returned.

As for buckets you can see how fast I calculate them
    upload_2023-6-25_16-43-26.png

The source codes all there but basically what I do is I write directly to the key/value buffers in the hashmap in parallel then in a single job afterwards I iterate all elements and calculate the bucket. It's extremely fast this way - linear memory access.

19. morphex

morphex

Oh I see, It makes sense, I was looking at your code, and the bit missing was the calculate in radius (or I couldnt find it). I thought you somehow had magically found a solution to get the nearest 10 without a radius.

Then its just normal spatial hash, you then calculate the buckets aggregate the results and sort by distance.

Thank you! really helpfull :)