Search Unity

best way to create race tracks?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by ShinigamiUzi, Jan 12, 2019.

1. ShinigamiUzi

ShinigamiUzi

Hi, recently been thinking on how I would be making racing track and what is the best way to do it?? so far what I came up with is following:

1- Create a whole track curve on blender and import to unity, simple and track would look nice/smooth but any changes I want to make if some parts don't fit the gameplay i'll have to keep recreating the whole thing

2- Create track pieces ex(Turn, Loops, Jumps, etc) seperatly and then on unity scene "glue" them together, if there's a way to do that? maybe if I just move their transform to look it's 2 pieces it wont look that good?? idk

any other ways/tips of doing this?

2. DaDonik

DaDonik

From a performance point of view, it's certainly best to model the track as seperate pieces. That way the engine can cull, as in not draw, pieces that are not visible. That would also make it easier if you decide to change your track layout at any point.

'Glueing' them together is a matter of modelling them on a grid and then place them in the scene, also adhering to that same grid.

I'm not sure if you need closed race tracks, but this recently added asset might be worth a look.

Edit: Fixed link

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    JoeStrout likes this.
  3. narlankaaditya

narlankaaditya

4. elj40

elj40

Ouroboros Track Engine is no longer available