Search Unity

Best way to create Idle game online

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Stayms, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Stayms

Stayms

Hello every body,

I am currently looking for the best way to create an idle game like: "idle Heroes, Idle Legend, RAID shadow legends" like this :

I have good knowledge of Unity, C#, language server, php and API integration.

For the management of the account, characters, experience, ect I can create a google cloud database and create an API. But I try to be able to create fights between 2 team of players.
    I thought of creating a function in the API to generate the fight and return the events to display them to the player but I don't know if it's a good way to do it.

I also looked to integrate a connection by Facebook and google. The tutorials sugets to use FireBase from google.
    Is it possible to combine FireBase and a Google cloud server database ? Or is it better if the database is only on 1 server?

If you have any ideas please share :)
    Thanks everyone!

Deniz-B likes this.
  2. Deniz-B

Deniz-B

I wish someone would help you bcs it would also help me lel .
    Do you want to do the game by ur own? Or with a small team ?

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Questions about what is the "best way" to do something are usually doomed to no responses. To answer the "best way" requires the person to have already tried every possible way in a project similar to your own. You're unlikely have have such a person click your thread.

Deniz-B likes this.
  4. Deniz-B

Deniz-B

Hi there :)
    Yes ur totally right. Makes sense.
    But I don't think Stayms meant it in that way.
    I'am pretty sure he would be fine with any good solution :)
    At least I would be fine with it .
    Ofc the more the better !
    Edit: Btw ur game looks good !
    What is the online solution on ur game?

5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

But it is in the thread title, so many helpful people are probably reading that and not clicking.

Thanks!

It currently uses an in house networking system, which itself uses the Socket class. I think that is a really good way to go, but it is a hard pill to swallow for most people. The advantage is the networking system can be tailored to your game, you understand how the entire system works, and there is nothing closed source you don't have control over or at risk of getting deprecated out from under you.

As far as a database, it is a Unity headless build I have act as a database but really isn't one. But it isolates everything database related to the single server so it would be fairly painless to rewrite it to talk to any other kind of database without affecting the other servers or the game client.

6. koirat

koirat

I have always thought that "idle game" is an oxymoron.

Still wish you a successful development.

7. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Hi @Joe-Censored I agree with koirat, your game looks very good.

I notice that it's going to be free to play, and I was wondering if you'd care to share your strategy for monetization to cover your server hosting (or indeed any other on-going out of pocket expenses).

8. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I don't want to derail this thread, but my plan is to offer optional DLC's. Increase skill training rate, allow use of ship skin items, and I'm debating still on limiting access to the highest tier ships. I want to avoid pay to win, while offering something worth paying for. My primary concern right now though is getting the game good enough so people will want to play it at all rather than how to monetize.

9. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

Thanks for taking the time to provide the information, I'm still trying to decide which direction to take my own game in and also wanted to avoid a pay to win situation whilst keeping the game viable, assuming people want to play it, so it's helpful to understand how others approach the problem.

For the same reason, I almost pm'd you the question, but I decided that it somewhat fitted in with the thread title anyway.

Thanks again and good luck with your game :)

Joe-Censored likes this.
  10. davidtungd003

davidtungd003