Search Unity

BEST WAY OF MAKING GRASS! looks a lot like speed tree grass, runs as fast and looks just as good!

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by JamesL98, Jul 10, 2015.

1. HermieW

HermieW

@Cactus_on_Fire OMG, would you share your sample scene to learn from it? It's really awesome.

petey likes this.
  2. JamesL98

JamesL98

This thread is pretty old and as such i don't have the original grass i was working on (it was a first prototype), since then ive worked on using unitys standard grass placement on terrains for open world maps and tweaking settings so its not so obvious that it is a bunch of planes. I have also learnt how to make some decent grass meshes and if i have the time i will make a sample scene and upload it here for you with a few different ways of making spectacular grass. Here is what ive done using unity's grass placement method:
    bandicam 2016-11-20 10-33-33-271.jpg bandicam 2016-10-11 02-30-45-171.jpg

Acissathar likes this.
  3. PatHasNoPot

PatHasNoPot

What settings did you use for the grass?

4. JamesL98

JamesL98

My grass texture is a 2468x1467 texture (wider than taller)
    bandicam 2016-12-06 11-05-34-755.jpg

5. PatHasNoPot

PatHasNoPot

Thank you for the reply. And any grass asset you'd recommend using? I've been struggling with grass lately and it's all I'd need to finish a first version of my scene. Also I have some grass that's pre-colored, is there a way to keep that color schema without Unity's grass editor editing that up?

Thank you in advance!

6. JamesL98

JamesL98

After searching and searching i never really found any good grass asset or even textures and ended up taking my own photo and doing some Photoshop magic. As for the colour im not too sure how to keep the original colour but there are three colour options in Unity in regards to grass, two in the "Edit grass texture" tab as shown up above in my screenshot and in the terrain settings. Fiddling with these long enough should get your result!

7. Stardog

Stardog

You can make the healthy/dry colour white, then adjust the terrain tint to white.

There's an issue with unity terrain where it shades the grass to simulate cloud shadows, and you can't disable that.

Vote here to fix it - https://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/terrain-system-touch-up

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  8. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Interesting, but it's hard for me to see much of grass. Do you have closeup pictures of the grass, in sunlight, without image effects or in shadow?

9. TheNoobieWaffle

TheNoobieWaffle

10. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Thanks man :)

After some time I figured out how to get rid of the skybox rendering between the opacity clippings so there are even less artifacts now. Here's another scene screenshot. These are straight from the editor view with no post-processing or any anti-aliasing applied, including the default forward camera anti-aliasing. I also decorated it with some amazing megascans stones to pretty it up =)

11. PenguinEmporium

PenguinEmporium

Ooooooh, so pretty.

TheoHeu likes this.
  12. jason-fisher

jason-fisher

@Cactus_on_Fire - that's amazing. Is this the same shader as you shared above?

13. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Yep

14. jason-fisher

jason-fisher

15. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

They're using a screen door transparency which uses opaque rendering. I'm not sure if it can work with a transparent edged shader.

16. tapawafo

tapawafo

@Cactus_on_Fire

Amazing results!

Can I ask how your grass is setup? Is your grass setup using the standard Unity terrain Detail texture method?

Sorry if this is a naive question - I've been trying to solve grass aliasing (kills VR) for the past 3 days and I'm desperate for a solution. I made my own shader but I couldn't get shadows working properly with Alpha Blending (A2C.)

I tried using your shader but I couldn't get it to work as a Detail Mesh grass or forcing it on a Detail Texture grass. If you do use Unity's terrain grass, how do you apply your shader?

17. SimoneDunzendorfer

SimoneDunzendorfer

@Cactus_on_Fire This is sooo amazing. Would you share you sample scene. I love it so much!!

TheoHeu and acaroppos like this.
  18. acaroppos

acaroppos

I would like to learn from it as well.
    Can you offer it on the Asset Store if you don't want to share it in private?

19. TheoHeu

TheoHeu

+1 For release! Love your work!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  20. Hormic

Hormic

i'm also curious about it. You never could have enough good gras. :)

21. TheoHeu

TheoHeu

Cactus_On_Fire 's approaches may be better than any of the available assets. Even if he sold them, and if they weren't good good enough, I would rate him 5 stars. I think nobody spent more hours with figuring all the cave-at's out and achieving the very best. Thank you, Cactus!

22. jason-fisher

jason-fisher

I still have his example screenshots set as my desktop background so I don't forget about this.

23. HermieW

HermieW

Cactus, could you share you setup?
    This would be a tremendous chance for others to learn from it.
    @jason-fisher Same here. :)

24. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Sorry for the late reply guys, I was busy as hell lately :)

I found the time to compile the assets and upload the project. So here's the scene from the screenshots with some neat foliage textures :)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/tkbj6ag8bmhp5q4/Grass_Smooth+Cut.rar

25. HermieW

HermieW

Wow, thank you so much!! The textures are just amazing!!
    Your project is so good, you're really talented!
    Thank you!

26. acaroppos

acaroppos

Mille grazie!!

Do you plan to sell your work on the AssetStore? I would immediately buy it.
    I would love to see more from you.

27. Flurgle

Flurgle

@Cactus_on_Fire Looked great on gamma + forward. Only issue was a bit of popping (which can be edited of course)

Really nice work!

marcipw likes this.
  28. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Thanks man, enjoy it :)

I don't have much assets to sell on asset store, I was just experimenting on a soft edge shader really.

Yeah thats the drawback from it. It's probably impossible to achieve both hard and soft edges in one pass but with little sacrifice it creates a nice effect.

Flurgle likes this.
  29. Nandith

Nandith

How would you add wind effects to this?
    I tried but it resulted in the grass "shaking" in a weird way.

30. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Make the color of the grass same as the texture for the ground.

31. EL_NINO_

EL_NINO_

Anyone possibly have the original "Grass" asset from the deprecated original TerrainAssets package that could possibly share it? As it's been said the current terrain assets only include the 2 grass textures. No more grass material. Nothing viable from any of the free assets I've found either. Not to discount any of the other grass solutions in this thread mind you, they look beautiful. And I just downloaded the Grass_Smooth+Cut project with intentions on checking it out, and thank you very much for sharing that Sir Cactus. But the OP had a very simple, lightweight, and good looking thing going as well and I would love to try that as well. Many thanks in advance to anyone willing to post a link.

32. JamesL98

JamesL98

have a look at @Cactus_on_Fire 's example scene he shared above, far better than using this method and has a few textures in there.

33. Polkatuba

Polkatuba

Cactus_on_Fire, thanks for the great looking foliage. It's one of the best I have seen for Unity this far. Unfortunately the shader does not work correctly with deferred rendering. Could it be anyhow possible to be fixed? It's a bummer, because otherwise this is really great stuff.

34. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

I'm not sure but there might be. I fiddled around until the edges of the foliage turned transparent on forward rendering, but with deferred it just shows the background. You might wanna change the render type and see what it does.

35. Polkatuba

Polkatuba

It's a bit strange but today all seems to be working ok with deferred. Not sure what has changed.

EDIT: It seems the issue is related to camera angle. Sometimes strange grey outlines are popping up to the edges of foliage when using deferred.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  36. JadsonAlmeida

JadsonAlmeida

You make my life better. <3 hahaha

JamesL98 likes this.
  37. MarkusKer

MarkusKer

First of all really cool stiff, but my problem is, that if i plant them as trees they cast shadows even if disable cast shadows in the shader? In standalone it works.

38. emreyeni999

emreyeni999

39. JamesL98

JamesL98

Sorry this is months in reply i haven't looked at this thread for ages, but if you haven't fixed the issue or someone else is having the issue, off the top of my head i believe there is the settings for shadows in the tree editor, you could turn those off or the object itself should have a renderer (again off the top of my head im on the go atm) and you can disable the shadows from there, something like None, double sided, single sided, shadows only. Hope that helps i can have another look when i get home, haven't used this method of grass in a while.

40. BrokenVector

BrokenVector

Bump on this. Can't seem to figure out a way to add wind bending.

41. JamesL98

JamesL98

Unity's built in the wind bending into the tree, have a play with the settings in the tree editor and make sure you have a 3D object > Wind Zone in your scene aswell

42. treyce

treyce

Cactus_on_Fire that's totally awesome! Can't wait to try practicing on making grass. Just need to finish the installation of new tires and forged wheels on buddy's truck before I get the cheque and finally complete my computer build.

43. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Go for it :)

44. arzezniczak

arzezniczak

I've just tried to make grass following first post, but I'm stuck at #5 point - I simply can't rotate leaf crossection, when I have selected leaf and rotation mode I don't see that "rotation spheres" (I don't know correct name of them) which you can drag by mouse to rotate objects.
    Anyone got that issue too? Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

45. BrokenVector

BrokenVector

I had that issue too. I think what I did was made a prefab and rotated it and eventually had the cross section vertical. But as soon as I reopened the project it went back to the sideways cross section, so it didn't really work. I eventually gave up and bought an asset.

arzezniczak likes this.
  46. asinghal084

asinghal084

I had that problem too. I ended up just rotating it manually through the Transform component. If you set the X-axis rotation to 270, it should be upright!

arzezniczak likes this.
  47. ThomasNK

ThomasNK

I had the same issue, so i upgraded to Unity 2018 and now it works.
    It seems like it only doesnt work in Unity 2017.

sharkapps, arzezniczak and Alverik like this.
  48. arzezniczak

arzezniczak

Ohhh, nice! In my case I must wait until 2018 goes out of beta, but still - great to hear it's fixed now.

49. ttmmiizz100

ttmmiizz100

My grass appears sideways for some reason when I do this! Please help!

50. MW_Industries

MW_Industries

I'm having the same issue. If anyone has a fix for this please place this soon. I really liked this technique. The first time I did it, it worked fine with no problems however, after I tried implementing this technique with other textures, it didn't work.

prof_jerz likes this.