Search Unity

Best way of creating a MP game

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by maikgode, Jan 14, 2020.

1. maikgode

maikgode

Hey guys,

I am really new to this topic, but yesterday I had the idea to make an game similar to an asymmetrical 4vs1 with different killers etc (yeah, i mean DbD, I hope it is okay to name it :D). Since i dont really know how to start developing a multiplayer game, I would like to ask you all whether you know some good tutorials (4free or for some bucks, i dont care) for getting starting with something like this.

For the network part I would need something like a P2P-Solution, so 1 player creates a lobby and the other 4 can join the host (because dedicated server would be too much at the current state). I searched a bit in the internet and found "Photon Bolt". Is it a good and easy one or would u suggest something else?

Thanks in advance and have a great day, guys (and maybe ladys)

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Hmm, Photon is decent but no multiplayer networking solution is "easy." If development projects were dungeon monsters, the game you've described would be at least a level 6 mid-boss. It kinda sounds like you're a level 1 adventurer armed with a rusty dagger and big dreams. :) You will need to level up your skills considerably before tackling this one.

Start with the "Learn" link at the top of this page, and set aside a couple months to work through tutorials. Don't worry about whether the tutorials appear at all similar to the game you want to make; skills is skills. Also don't worry about networking at first. In fact you might want to make a simple version of your game built for local co-op, i.e., hand several of your friends each a controlle, all plugged into or Bluetooth linked to the same computer which is plugged into a big screen TV. That is a fun way to play and dramatically easier than dealing with networking (it'd be maybe a level 3 or 4 monster rather than level 6).

And above all, don't get too laser-focused on your goal... enjoy the journey! It's a long one, so you should take time to stop and enjoy the flowers.

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Take a look at various network options. Here's a link below with some options. See which ones fit with your requirements and try one or more of them out. As already mentioned there is no such thing as "easy" networking. Even a relatively simple networking project is a big project, expect a networked multiplayer version of your game to take 3X as long to develop as a similar single player version of the same game.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/wha...of-available-network-solutions-assets.609088/

I haven't used Photon Bolt, but all the Photon products are generally well received.

maikgode, Bill_Martini and JoeStrout like this.