Search Unity

Best tools for terrain/level building (Polybrush, Gaia, Terrain Editor, others?)

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Hallur90, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Hallur90

Hallur90

Hey, I'm a CS graduate and a life long gamer that is finally making his dream game.
    So far I've been prototyping and working on components of the game.

I'm at the point where I want to delve into some level design. I've already used Pro Builder and Pro Grids which I very much like!

I wanted to do some research on the do's and don'ts of this topic and explore the available tools as my Google-ing and YouTube watching doesn't seem to highlight their differences and strengths ( in my exp ).

The game is in first person perspective and I'm going for a semi stylized look for the terrain, e.g. Firewatch, Subnautica or even World of Warcraft, realism is not the goal here.

Currently ( in my dreams ) I assume the map will end up being about 2000x2000m.

Questions I have
    - Should I split areas up in to tiles ( how big? ).
    - Which part of the terrain would you start with ( edges, inland, does it matter? )
    - What tool is most viable for this style.

Any general advice would also be great.

Thank you in advance! :)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  2. Hallur90

Hallur90

For those interested I found this video helpful.

3. tawdry

tawdry

rst_video likes this.
  4. Hallur90

Hallur90

Thanks for the reply Tawdry.
    Personally after trying a bunch of tools I think I'm going with Blender for the level- and terrain design.
    I feel like it's very hard to get accurate results if you have a specific design in mind.
    Most of the videos I've watched where people are showing off the terrain tools they tend to be all about getting a cool screenshot or a video rather than something you might have actual gameplay in.

Note this is coming from someone who hasn't spent a whole lot of time with Unity terrain or Gaia... so I might be wrong.

5. tawdry

tawdry

6. Hallur90

Hallur90

That's great! Didn't know that, thanks!