Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Build games and experiences that can load instantly and without install. Explore the Project Tiny Preview today!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Nominations have been announced for this years Unity Awards. Celebrate the wonderful projects made by your peers this year and get voting! Vote here!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Best tools for terrain/level building (Polybrush, Gaia, Terrain Editor, others?)

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Hallur90, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Hallur90

Hallur90

Hey, I'm a CS graduate and a life long gamer that is finally making his dream game.
    So far I've been prototyping and working on components of the game.

I'm at the point where I want to delve into some level design. I've already used Pro Builder and Pro Grids which I very much like!

I wanted to do some research on the do's and don'ts of this topic and explore the available tools as my Google-ing and YouTube watching doesn't seem to highlight their differences and strengths ( in my exp ).

The game is in first person perspective and I'm going for a semi stylized look for the terrain, e.g. Firewatch, Subnautica or even World of Warcraft, realism is not the goal here.

Currently ( in my dreams ) I assume the map will end up being about 2000x2000m.

Questions I have
    - Should I split areas up in to tiles ( how big? ).
    - Which part of the terrain would you start with ( edges, inland, does it matter? )
    - What tool is most viable for this style.

Any general advice would also be great.

Thank you in advance! :)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  2. Hallur90

Hallur90

For those interested I found this video helpful.

3. tawdry

tawdry

4. Hallur90

Hallur90

Thanks for the reply Tawdry.
    Personally after trying a bunch of tools I think I'm going with Blender for the level- and terrain design.
    I feel like it's very hard to get accurate results if you have a specific design in mind.
    Most of the videos I've watched where people are showing off the terrain tools they tend to be all about getting a cool screenshot or a video rather than something you might have actual gameplay in.

Note this is coming from someone who hasn't spent a whole lot of time with Unity terrain or Gaia... so I might be wrong.

5. tawdry

tawdry

6. Hallur90

Hallur90

That's great! Didn't know that, thanks!