Search Unity

Best tools for procedurally created terrain?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by jeffman1, Feb 11, 2019.

1. jeffman1

jeffman1

I was looking for some tools that can create procedurally created terrain. I want to have some assets such as tents to be recreated after they are destroyed and maybe make some grass. I wanted to make sure I was using the best assets out there. Also, I need a pre-created asset for the blowing of the wind unless some tools can do this too.
    I thought about gaia but want to know people opinions to this. I prefer tools that follow the simple to pickup and learn model versus easy to use (easy to use means their might be a higher learning curve involved).

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I like World Creator 2 for this purpose, as a standalone tool. I'm currently trying it out, and have had good results.

3. jeffman1

jeffman1

I wonder whats the difference between that and gaia which is an assest from the unity store?

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

World creator is standalone with a unity plugin, generates the actual gpu eroded fractal terrain etc, while Gaia imports brushes that you stamp down. Both do the splatting as well.

I wanted world creator because it can actually generate stamp brushes, or actual terrain from nothing, which is what I need, it's easy too. Still learning it though.

wyatttt likes this.
  5. Rowlan

Rowlan

I'm with hippocoder. Basically for Gaia you need to get stamps from somewhere. With World Creator 2 you can create the stamps yourself. Even from real world height maps. Plus you could create the stamps for the new Unity Terrain Tools. WC2 is very intuitive and easy to use. Has a sync tool for Unity which not only lets you import the terrain, but also split it during the import at the touch of a button. You can export all kinds of files (mesh, splatmap, height map, normal map, etc) which you can then again use in other applications eg to create backdrop mountains, create stamps, flow map, erosion map. You can even export objects and details (trees etc) into Unity, but personally I'm going with Vegetation Studio Pro automatic terrain texturing and vegetation planting here. The advantage of an external tool is also that you can use it for different engines, eg WC2 has in additon to the Unity sync module also a sync module for UE4.

Or let me put it this way: In case anyone of you guys need stamps for the new Unity terrain system, I'm gonna spam files away at the touch of the "Random" button in WC2 :D Just like that. Pictures are better than words. Original WC2 project file was just taken from discord for free by one of the awesome members of the WC2 community, all I did was hit "random".

stamps.gif

No need for micropayments for stamps, just create your own. All I did was only loading the WC2 project file and export the height map. Usable in Unity as a stamp:

stamp.jpg

Or just import the terrain and specify whatever tile size you'd like to have during the import:

tiles.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    wyatttt and hippocoder like this.
  6. jeffman1

jeffman1

I'm trying to go middle east desert scene here if that helps. If you have a seed to help me out in case I try that would be nice. I want mountains in the distance but a flat area where two armies can battle it out. Tell me more about: Vegetation Studio Pro also while were at it. I just checked the price and you paid $300 for that or the $150 version?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  7. jeffman1

jeffman1

8. Rowlan

Rowlan

I bought the Pro version. It's always a problem if you have a feature that's in a premium version while you only have the standard one. Since ZBrush it's always all or nothing for me ;) But in your case what you describe you need nothing at all other than the Unity standard terrain tools. Just paint your terrain with the brush, add some proper desert textures on it and put some background mesh mountains in the scene.

Vegetation Studio Pro is a quick and easy way to populate your terrain with vegetation. The Pro version supports biomes which are just areas of vegetation which you can drag around and blend together. Check out the Asset Store description and vidoes.

9. Rowlan

Rowlan

Yeah, it's derailing now. This turned out to be not such a good idea. I got lost, wanted to see how my speedtrees look in the desert I created for you and ended up substance painting a camel I downloaded from Sketchfab :D

desert 01.jpg
    desert 02.jpg
    Anyway, here's the desert height map I created quickly for you with WC2:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/34e73b36oft4l2e/desert-heightmap.raw?dl=0

View in WC2:

view.jpg

Height map:

desert_heightmap.jpg
    In the Unity terrain settings click "Import Raw" and import the raw file with settings 4096 x 4096 x 239

There's a nice sand texture from Quixel which you could use. It's free:

https://quixel.com/assets/sjzkfega

It's the one I used also in above screens.

ps: for the desert I followed this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCABMM8egWTLGHNo8Rs9Dzpg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    wyatttt and hippocoder like this.
  10. jeffman1

jeffman1

Thanks, I'll try it out and tell you what happens. I'm trying to do a David and Goliath scene.

11. jeffman1

jeffman1

@Rowlan I need an paid account with that website in order to download the texture. I got it to work after playing with it a little. Do you have an alterative website or a unity pack? (unless I can purchase the texture for cheap or the monthly fee is not that bad). I will play around and post screen shots. I still need to work on characters though.

12. Rowlan

Rowlan

It's in the Free library, all you need is a free account to accesss this:

https://quixel.com/megascans/library/free

13. jeffman1

jeffman1

sorry for late reply but I was reading that you need the paid account in order to use that material and plus it would not let me download it without logging in to a trial account. P.S. I would pay the monthly fee if they have a lot of materials to replace stuff with. I have a tent I would like to use different materials on (does unity have an add-on in the asset store to do this? I.e. edit materials and add them to models?).

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  14. Flurgle

Flurgle

@jeffman1 You are right, it's not really a free texture. It's part of the Quixel marketing. You do need a subscription (as mentioned in the pricing page).

15. wyatttt

wyatttt

Unity Technologies

my daily dilemma

Rowlan and hippocoder like this.