Search Unity

Best tool for a team of 4 to work on the same project

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by omegabytestudio, Feb 16, 2017.

1. omegabytestudio

omegabytestudio

So I'm so lost in that part of creating a game.

Our team used to do everything simple, like 1 programmer doing the works, the artist sending medias to the programmer, ect...

But Now we are working on a bigger project, we are 3 programmers and 1 artist. But I have no idea how to all work on the unity project.

My Artist now need access to the project for lighting and shading so we are 4 that can modify it at the same time.

How do you manage this? We did set up a sourcetree with bitbucket.

I understand how to handle script, but how do you handle game object and the project itself? If my artist did modification in the project setting, and I did some too like in the inputs, how do you merge it?

Thank you guys!

2. Jacob_Unity

Jacob_Unity

Administrator

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. TonyLi

TonyLi

Also Herman Tulleken's 50 Tips and Best Practices for Unity, 2016 Edition, especially his recommendations on prefabs. If everything is a prefab, you avoid a lot of scene merge issues since a lot of changes can involve prefabs instead of scene GameObjects themselves.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. omegabytestudio

omegabytestudio

@Jacob_unit

I was interrested in Collaborate, but I fear to be stuck without solution if there is a bug or if the bega ends and we don't have the money to buy the service.

I will read the link you provided, thank you!

@TonyLi

Thank you ! Will read that tonight, looks interresting!

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

If you set your serialisation to text, then merging of scenes and prefabs isn't that big of a deal. You can get by with regular version control.

Some general tips
    • Control who is working on a scene, where possible only have one person working on a scene at a time.
    • Prefab everything so it can be worked on without touching the scene.
    • Import every new asset into Unity before committing to version control.

theANMATOR2b likes this.