Search Unity

1. Calling all beginners! Join the FPS Beginners Mods Challenge until December 13.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Cyber Week at the Asset Store!
    Dismiss Notice

[Best Tool Asset Store Award] Amplify Shader Editor - Node-based Shader Creation Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Elfinnik159

Elfinnik159

Hello. Thanks for the answer, the shadows without tessellation were really corrected, but as soon as I turn on the tessellation, they break again. Here is an example of a modified shader:
    upload_2019-6-21_11-51-11.png
    addPass shader is the same as firstPass (tessellation).
    Texture Checkers from ASE examples.
    In both shaders, the Cast Shadows option is enabled.
    Forward rendering:
    upload_2019-6-21_11-48-50.png upload_2019-6-21_11-49-15.png
    Deferred rendering:
    upload_2019-6-21_11-48-20.png upload_2019-6-21_11-49-38.png
    It seems that forward rendering does not take into account terrain tessellation when shading, and deferred rendering does this with errors.

Also, the problem with cutting off polygons that are not visible without Vertex Offset, but with it they should be displayed, remains.

2. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there, you beat us to it.

There's indeed a way to modify the fragment color after all lighting calculations are done in a Template. It's an advanced feature as it requires some shader coding knowledge, but you can alternatively register a Final Color modifier through a Custom Expression node. We use it in our Simple Terrain sample.(SimpleTerrainAddPass)

Sample please ;)

Which samples are pink, the specific HD samples or the other included shaders?

3. jayatubi

jayatubi

Sorry but could you please check my issue on the top of these ones?

4. Amplify_RnD_Rick

Amplify_RnD_Rick

Thank you so much for reporting this issue. Yes, the solution is somewhat like you described.
    We do already have a list of all master nodes, so we don't need to go through all nodes and attempt a cast to master node.
    Also we need to set the OnRefreshLinkedPortsComplete on other places to take behaviors like hot code reload into account

Regarding changing the Port Name. On its current state this action is only available through setting a template option and not interaction with ports.
    For now the only actions you can place inside a Port: section are the SetDefine/SetUndefine as the actions set on in there are only executed when the user hits the Update button.
    But we can definitely extend the Port section functionalities.

This seems to be somewhat an internal bug on the standard shader itself. Let us dig a bit deeper into this to figure out if there's a solution to it.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  5. Amplify_RnD_Rick

Amplify_RnD_Rick

@jayatubi I forgot to mention, the bug you described will be already fixed on our next build. The SetPortName may take a bit longer.
    Also, it's super cool that you are using the template options over your templates. Please let us know if you are coming across into any more issues or have suggestions to make it better.

6. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

My bad there, I should have mentioned that @Amplify_RnD_Rick was going to get back to you directly ;)

7. jayatubi

jayatubi

That's cool. Look forward for the next release.

8. Amplify_RnD_Rick

Amplify_RnD_Rick

Hey guys,

We've uploaded a new build both to the Unity Asset Store ( should be available soon ) as for our website.
    This new one has some new quality of life features which we think you guys will like.
    Here are the release notes:

Release Notes v1.6.8 rev 00:
    • New features:
      • Added Share button that uploads select data to the cloud for easy sharing
      • Added Screenshot button that takes a screenshot of the whole graph and saves it to disk
        • For now this is a Windows only feature
    • Fixes:
      • Fixed issue on 'Toggle Switch' node registering a toggle drawer twice causing inspector warnings
      • Fixed issue on not always capturing the Fallback library on templates
      • Fixed both 'HSV to RBG' and 'RGB to HSV' node previews
      • Fixed issue on sometimes losing directives info on Shader Functions after being moved into a different path
      • Fixed issue on Shader Function being incorrectly loaded into a separate tab after being moved into a different path
      • Fixed issue on certain Pass Options only being applied to main pass Master Node
    • Improvements:
      • ASE now auto-imports SRP templates if they are installed via Package Manager
        • It will also import correct templates in case of user switches between versions
          • User still need to open the shaders and hit the Update button so they are compiled on the correct version
      • Improved canvas buttons to better represent their purpose
      • Improved PPS Template under Single Pass VR
      • Mosaic Effect PPS sample now fully works across VR
      • Set Port Name action can now be registered on Port options block(API)

Screenshot Button:

Instead of doing some crazy collage, you can now take a screenshot of your complete graph at full resolution. This was a long time requested feature, but only now we found a way to hack this into Unity.
    Unfortunately Unity doesn't allow to render any editor window at resolutions higher than your monitor and main window resolution so this hack changes Windows configuration, resizes the it outside of your monitor view and then takes the shot.
    Two things to note:
    • First, this is a work in progress feature and if something goes wrong, your Unity window setup might become weird and you may need to restart either Unity or your Layout, so be prepared. The reason to fail might be due to a bug or simply trying to take a screenshot of a graph so huge your GPU goes out of memory.
    • Second, in order to resize the window we need to undock it so you need to re-dock it later. Taking large screenshots may take a few seconds. Please report any crash you might experience using this button.
    The screenshot is saved in the root of the project folder next to your "Assets" folder with the name ScreenshotASE, we do intend to add options in the future for folder selection and filename edit without overriding.
    For now this is a Windows only feature since it uses Windows specific tools. We are still investigating a similar hack on other OSs.

Share Snippet Button:

Sometimes you just want to share some node configuration. While taking screenshots is fine, nothing beats simply copying and pasting a link.
    Just select the nodes you want to share and click the share button. Wait a fews second and it should return a link to your clipboard that you can share.
    On the receiving side you just have to copy the link and with the editor focused just paste it somewhere in your graph.
    These links are active for a week, as we test this feature we might change this time to longer times or even permanent.
    If you use our Discord server you'll see us use these links more and more.
    This is not a replacement to sharing the shader file itself. While we do have ideas to eventually be able to ease the pain of sharing shaders, for now, the master node is not "shareable" along side it's configurations, so selecting everything and sharing it will return everything except the Master Node.

Hope you guys have a great weekend and happy shader creations!

BOXOPHOBIC likes this.
  9. Elfinnik159

Elfinnik159

I tried some settings.
    It seems that changing the Blend Mode from Custom to Opaque solves the problem with lighting.
    upload_2019-6-22_0-47-34.png
    But there is a problem with cutting off polygons.
    Also, if you enable the Instanced function, when tessellation is enabled, the terrain stops being displayed, showing only some chunks at a certain angle.
    upload_2019-6-22_0-46-25.png

10. JohnnyFactor

JohnnyFactor

I am generating infinite terrain with MapMagic while using an Amplify Simple Terrain material. When I am out of range and a chunk is destroyed, I receive this message:

Destroying assets is not permitted to avoid data loss.
    If you really want to remove an asset use DestroyImmediate (theObject, true);
    UnityEngine.Object: DestroyImmediate(Object)
    MapMagic.Chunk:OnRemove() (at Assets/MapMagic/Main/Chunk.cs:155)
    MapMagic.ChunkGrid`1: Deploy(CoordRect[], CoordRect[], Object, Boolean) (at Assets/MapMagic/Main/ChunkGrid.cs:380)
    MapMagic.MapMagic:Update() (at Assets/MapMagic/Main/MapMagic.cs:246)

I can't determine where I should be looking for the issue. I see there is a SimpleTerrain.asset file but I don't know if it's relevant.

11. sergiusz308

sergiusz308

@Amplify_Ricardo I just updated package and re-imported and on import I got 52 errors:

ase_import_errors.png

However, HD SRP samples are working fine.

All other samples are pink through - how I can fix them?

12. DGordon

DGordon

Im sure this is answered somewhere already, but how do you use functions inside of a custom expression? I want to iterate over a function I wrote, changing a float I pass in each time.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  13. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Is the problem present without ASE shaders?
    Does MapMagic require custom shaders?

Thank you for the additional details.

The samples are not broken, so to speak, they were not made for HD SRP. My advice would be to not import them if you're not using them.

You can go into one of the existing samples and change its type to HD if you wish to use them as a starting point.

Hey there, it should be similar to regular shader code. Please do elaborate on how you're using it, or provide a sample, so that we can be sure we're on the same page.

Thanks!

14. DGordon

DGordon

Im chaining that function together, just changing a vector I pass in each time. I would rather just call a single custom expression that calls that function however many times with the different offsets. Do I have to create a custom expression with all the inputs I need, and then manually call the function in shader code? Im not familiar with writing shaders, so an example of the syntax to do something like this would be great.

Also, ignore any redundancy you see in that screenshot ... thats my "just get it to work" node graph ... I didnt care about copy/paste, since its not for real time anyway, and it was like 3am when I did that ;).

Attached Files:

15. JohnnyFactor

JohnnyFactor

Yes, I have discovered it is present with the default diffuse shader. False alarm, sorry for the trouble.

16. Recon03

Recon03

Hi how can we get the objects local bounds? Thanks

17. DuvE

DuvE

Is there a template for HDRP Custom Render Texture? I know the regular CRT template, but it's not working with HDRP.

18. themdubs

themdubs

Noticed a small issue with the Single Pass Instanced Grab Pass shader stuff. It seems that the line declaring
    UNITY_DECLARE_SCREENSPACE_TEXTURE(_GrabTexture);
    is missing its semi-colon in unlit shaders. Also I should note, that specific line is being used in surface shaders as well as unlit. According to this post, surface shaders should already include the relevant macros and don't need them added.

19. Amplify_RnD_Rick

Amplify_RnD_Rick

The way ASE sees the shader function when writing the final code is like a graph contained inside that node and does not build any type of function with its contents. It builds the individual code from each of its nodes as it would on the main graph.
    Because of this, there's no way to call the shader function from a custom expression because there's no function to call.

This information is not directly available on shader. It must be sent from a script to the shader via property nodes.

Regarding custom render textures, for now we only have templates for the standard pipeline.

Thanks for reporting this. When we switched to these macros, we noticed it didn't need the semi-colon as it was declared like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #define UNITY_DECLARE_SCREENSPACE_TEXTURE(tex) sampler2D tex;
    We incorrectly assumed that its VR counter-part wouldn't need. But it does as it is declared:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #define UNITY_DECLARE_TEX2DARRAY(tex) Texture2DArray tex; SamplerState sampler##tex
    2. (...)
    3. #define UNITY_DECLARE_SCREENSPACE_TEXTURE UNITY_DECLARE_TEX2DARRAY
    This will be fixed on our next build.

20. Amplify_RnD_Rick

Amplify_RnD_Rick

Hey guys,

New build uploaded into our website.

Here are the release notes.
    Release Notes v1.6.8 rev 01:
    • Fixes:
      • Fixed compilation issue with 'Grab Screen Color' node on VR
      • Fixed issue on Shadow Caster pass over HD Lit template v5.16.1
      • 'Grab Screen Color' node now takes VR into account on LWRP
    • Improvements:
      • Share links now have permanent lifetime
      • Added new Depth Offset option into HD Lit template v5.16.1
    Happy shader creations.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  21. VirtusH

VirtusH

I'm having an odd issue with transparency not working with depth write and an add pass.

If I disable the add pass, I can get the ocean to not draw over itself at oblique angles with depth write and transparency will work. If I use the transparency render type, I don't get depth write so it can draw over itself, but otherwise everything is fine..

A while back I had all three features working simultaneously so I'm assuming this is a bug.

This arrangement: https://gyazo.com/dd37774898eac0791379398cbe6c3ae2
    Produces this(transparent, draws over itself, has add pass): https://gyazo.com/0f28e40e2d6ec62fcb2ccd2d7a6c0079

This arrangement: https://gyazo.com/0eeb2894225bdc07dcbf43e62311d9d4
    Produces this(transparent, correct depth, no add pass): https://gyazo.com/23739daf8e19ff3be985d243427ae210

This arrangement: https://gyazo.com/3f678eb7ef677c67ff9f97b257418b33
    Produces this(bad transparency, correct depth, has add pass): https://gyazo.com/e020282dc4e6482d47c5b81a99068676

I'm on Windows 10, modern hardware, pretty recent drivers.
    The Unity Editor's graphics API is set to Vulkan, and I don't recall having these issues on DX11.
    I'll experiment on this front and see if I discover anything.

22. Recon03

Recon03

Doh... I made it in Unreal awhile back.. and it was in my shader, so I was remaking it with Amplify.. ya forgot I certainly did code that node for my shader for Unreal. I wasn't thinking.. . Thanks .

23. EwieElektro

EwieElektro

24. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there, is the problem present without Vulkan?
    We could really use an actual shader sample for additional examination, we're available via support@amplify.pt for private file sharing.

The easiest and most practical way is to create an Int node, set it to Global and its variable mode to Fetch, so that the declaration is not registered on the shader:

25. EwieElektro

EwieElektro

But it need at the frag function also "UNITY_SETUP_STEREO_EYE_INDEX_POST_VERTEX(IN);" , without it, it will not work.

26. Amplify_RnD_Rick

Amplify_RnD_Rick

Which Shader Type/Template are you using?
    On the Surface type this will be handled by Unity itself when generating the final code. If you are using p.e. the Unlit Shader Type we are already setting up the unity_StereoEyeIndex via the UNITY_SETUP_STEREO_EYE_INDEX_POST_VERTEX over the fragment function.

27. EwieElektro

EwieElektro

I use at the moment the LWRP Unlit Template.

28. Amplify_RnD_Rick

Amplify_RnD_Rick

We reviewed the LWRP Unlit template and noticed that the stereo config was missing on one of the passes. Since this was quite the fast fix, we already uploaded it into our website.

29. scihuman

scihuman

I'm getting some GLSL compilation errors, attaching console log.

Attached Files:

30. TrulyFinn

TrulyFinn

Hey there,

We recently picked up amplify shader editor, and I am really enjoying it! Trying to write some shaders for our UI, and I need to be able to do some motion graphics background shaders for UI objects that are 9-sliced, however, unfortunately the UVs translated from the 9-slice are impacting the final result for the shader. I was wondering how I would go about translating the UVs to basically ignore the UV of the vertices in the 9-slice sprite, or convert to screen space and then offset position and scale to match the object?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

31. nomand

nomand

Hi,
    I'm trying to achieve the same effect XRay example provides, but on a UI compatible shader. So far I've created a template duplicate of "Legacy/Default UI", giving it a second pass. From there, I'm not sure how to make the second pass only render the occluded part of the UI, any help appreciated.

32. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

What's your target platform and Unity version?

Please share a shader sample, we're available at support@amplify.pt for direct contact.

Hey there!

Thanks for reaching out to us, always happy to help.

I see that one of our users has already assisted you on our Discord. Please avoid double posting as it wont really speed up our response ;)

Thanks!

Perhaps one of our developers can assist, I'm not sure if it's possible. Can you provide an example screenshot?

Thanks!

33. J_P_

J_P_

Is it possible to have an if/else condition for whether a texture is in a texture sample slot? If texture exists, X -- else, Y.

34. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

While you cannot check it in that manner, you can define a default value for your texture sample node. I would recommend setting it to black and checking for anything different.

This type of comparisons are an easy way to detect simple differences, our UV Light Reveal sample does something along those lines where we compare the Light Color with the Color to be Filtered.

upload_2019-6-28_11-3-43.png

Let me know if it helps!

35. Amplify_RnD_Rick

Amplify_RnD_Rick

Hey guys,

There's a new build up on our website.

Here are the release notes:
    Release Notes v1.6.8 rev 03:
    • Fixes:
      • 'Grab Screen Color' now prevents Unity macro inconsistent declaration ending between VR and non-VR compilation
      • Preventing compilation errors related to GPU Instancing on SRP
    Hope you all have a great weekend and happy shader creations!

36. J_P_

J_P_

Yeah black/white won't work. Currently trying to jerry rig a check against the default "bump" color since that is less likely to occur naturally in a metallic/roughness map, but while it seems to work in the Amplify Shader editor, not getting same results in practice -- maybe float imprecision or something.

edit: also notice that when I remove a texture from a Texture Sample node, it automatically switches default from Bump to White.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  37. Poupi

Poupi

Hey,
    I'm working on a custom lighting shader (the base lighting is very similar to the CustomLightingToon shader in the Examples shader), and there's something that looks like a bug with point lights. There's a square where the attenuation of the light don't work and it's pretty noticeable when the light is very bright.
    I tested with the CustomLightingToon and there's the same issue, but only if I compile the shader with the latest version of ASE ( 1.6.8). The compiled shader in the examples is compiled with the version 1.0 of ASE and the bug isn't here.
    Is this a regression on a lighting function ?

ASEBug.png

The repro is simple, just put a point light near a plane with a short range (around 1) and a bright intensity (10) and no other light, apply the CustomLightingToon material. Once the shader is open and compiled, the issue should appear.

Unity version : 2019.1.0f2 if it helps.
    Thanks for the support !

38. J_P_

J_P_

Is it possible to create a modified copy of the Standard shader output template? Like if I wanted to change the glossiness model to roughness that I can then use with shaders.

39. DGordon

DGordon

Heya,

We're thinking of using Unity HDRP for renders of characters that go into 2d games. I'm creating a custom editor setup to control all of that. The recorder in Unity is nice, but I'd rather have full control over everything, so I'll probably just grab the pixels off the screen and create the textures myself.

Is there any way to achieve supersamplingantialiasing, or something like that, in order to get a much nicer output on my screenshots in 2019 hdrp? If so, anywhere you can point me for how to do something like that with ASE? I don't need it to work on the game camera, only for the final screenshot image.

This is a bit off topic, but if anyone knows how to create a screenshot with a transparent background in HDRP 2019, I'd love to know how. No matter what I try, the pixels I read from the camera come back as all opaque.

Thanks!

40. zwcloud

zwcloud

upload_2019-6-30_15-8-57.png

How to assign default texture to "red"?

Code (CSharp):
    1. _Tex ("Tex", 2D) = "red" {}
    From the doc:
    So I think "red" should be supported.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  41. nomand

nomand

I copied Legacy/UIDefault template and added a second pass to create an effect similar to xray shader, but for UI. I'm seeing very strange behavior where UI drawing order gets reversed in the second pass, I suspect due to Ztest always.

Is there a way to fix that, or do something simpler like just have one pass, but if ztest fails, draw anyway but *0.5 (as an example).
    Cheers!

Attached Files:

42. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

You can check for anything above black(0), and with individual channels; an empty texture should return 0 on all channels. Alternatively, I would recommend looking into Custom Inspectors and the Static Switch.

This is a bit beyond what ASE provides as it requires additional coding, be sure to check the link bellow.
    ShaderGUI: Custom Material Inspectors in Unity 5+

Can you replicate the Bump to White issue consistently?

Given the sheer amount of work involved, we would not recommend it. If you want to learn more, we recommend taking a deep dive into the official Unity built-in shaders and our Template System.

Sounds like an interesting use!

This is a bit beyond the scope of our editor as you will require additional scripts to achieve this functionality. It could be quicker and simpler to simply adapt one of the existing Media Capturing assets.

Not entirely sure how to capture something with a transparent background in HD.

It's not possible at the moment but we will keep it in mind, we only added defaults for commonly used values.

Can you elaborate on how you use Red as a default value?

Thanks for the additional details, one of our developers will examine it as soon as possible.
    Which Unity version were you using?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  43. zwcloud

zwcloud

It is the default texture of the Control texture property of the first pass in a terrain shader.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Amplify_Ricardo likes this.
  44. Little_Gorilla

Little_Gorilla

Hey I have a question about World Normals.
    On the left is the standard shader with metallic and smoothness at 0 and on the right is an Amplify shader with the World Normals Node input into the Normals slot.

They are different and I was curious as to how I can get a node that displays the same normals.

When I remove the world Normal node the normals are the same.

(Read the documentation and did a search!)

upload_2019-7-1_12-59-21.png

45. nomand

nomand

2019.1.3f1.
    I got close to what I needed by setting second pass stencil buffer to zero instead of "replace". The drawing order appears correct with that setting, but then all elements in the canvas stack get partial transparency (I suppose that's expected behavior because the shader modifies each element individually), but I gwanted to apply opacity modifier to the whole canvas rather than individual elements.

Attached Files:

46. Poupi

Poupi

Hey, I tested the same shader with Unity 2018 and the same version of ASE and it works as it should. There's probably something that changed in Unity 2019, is someone from the Amplify team can have a look at this ?
    Thanks !

47. ColtonK_VitruviusVR

ColtonK_VitruviusVR

Hey Amplify Team,

We are porting a game for VR from Windows to PS4 and are experiencing an issue with one of our shaders. Here is what the shader looks like in the Editor and on PC builds:
    InkedSnowShaderIssueEditor.jpg

However, here is what the shader looks like running on the PS4:
    InkedSnowShaderIssuePS4.jpg

As you can see that section of the wall cuts in and it appears the snow is filling in areas upside down, is there anyway to solve this, preferably without updating Amplify (we have many shaders using it and are hesitant to update)?

We are currently using Unity 2017.4.27 and Amplify 1.5.2 and I have attached the shader.

Cheers,
    Colton

Attached Files:

48. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thanks for the heads up!

I believe you'll have to transform it.

upload_2019-7-3_11-38-11.png

Thank you for the additional information, I passed it on to one of our developer who should be able to examine it soon. Apologies for the delay, we will get back to you as soon as possible.

We made a few tests using the same Unity version and everything seems to be working as expected. Do you see any console errors after saving?

Usually, this would be caused by not properly using attenuation but in this case I'm not entirely sure what could be causing the problem. You see the same issue on a clean project or using a more recent 2019.x distribution?

I would recommend updating if your not on the latest version yet. (v1.6.8.005)

Please update to the latest version and re-test your shader.

We could really use the textures and material for a more accurate test on our side.

Thanks!

49. ColtonK_VitruviusVR

ColtonK_VitruviusVR

50. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

No problem, we will run a few tests as soon as possible.

Are you on the latest PS4 SDK?

Thanks!