Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Best Tool Asset Store Award] Amplify Shader Editor - Node-based Shader Creation Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Sep 13, 2016.

1. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

It's basically adding functionality found in standalone HD Lit shader. Shader Graph did a separate template for this a long time ago, Amplify now brought in the support for it on ASE. Here is Unity blog post about HD Lit Master node:
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/12/19/unity-2018-3-shader-graph-update-lit-master-node/

2. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Wanting to get as much Deferred as possible. Is there any way to hack Deferred for refraction or translucency shaders, even if it is outside Amplify?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  3. cAyouMontreal

cAyouMontreal

Thanks for you clarification, but how does it differ from the one we have already on the HDRPtemplate package? I see quite the same amount of features, like coating, sss, etc...

4. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I guess Amplify should answer to the feature thing as there shouldn't even be coating on PBR template they based it upon (so it must be something they added) :) The split between two is really clear on Shader Graph.

cAyouMontreal likes this.
  5. cAyouMontreal

cAyouMontreal

oooooooh I didn't see things that way, it makes sense ! Thanks :)

6. Nirvan

Nirvan

Hi, I created post processing shader which is making corners of view distorted, now I wanted to experiment and create something like far distortion effect, but can't figure out if I can use depth textures with ASE and post processing.

I was searching for something like depth of field effect tutorial, found it but not for ASE, for beggining I wanted to get something like that https://catlikecoding.com/unity/tut...ng/depth-of-field/circle-of-confusion/coc.png

I using default 3D settings project (Unity 2017)

7. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

Hello,

@ASE_Team - I'm trying to create a shader with vertex animation and outline, but it seams that the outline doesn't the vertex offset into account. Is this a bug or the feature is not implemented?

Also I'm wondering if the Get Local Var could display the variables in alphabetical order. With tens of them is quite hard to find what you need.

Thanks you!

8. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, we do have a sample specific to this node which you can find in the following folder:

Assets \ AmplifyShaderEditor \ Examples \ Official\ OrientationBasedSprite

Apologies but I'm not what sure on what to suggest in regards to this, as it seems to be beyond the scope of ASE.

Hello, the new template is based on Unity's Lit Master node, which in short allows the use of new features and workflows. All our LW and HD templates are developed to try and match Unity's own, and the HD Lit is our latest addition in this regard.

The article that was shared has plenty of information regarding this, however, feel free to let us know if you have any questions specifically regarding our template, we'll be happy to answer.

Hello, we provide a template specific for creating post processing effects, and two samples which you can find in the 'Assets \ AmplifyShaderEditor \ Examples \ Official \ TemplateExamples \ PostProcess folder for FilmGrain and Sobel effects.

Both are using a script in the camera that implements post processing through the OnRenderImage Camera class function, which allows modifying the final image rendered by the camera by processing it with shader based filters, and the Graphics.Blit function, which will render the source texture using the material with the post-processing shader and save it to the destination texture by automatically copying the "source" texture to the material's main texture ( or _MainTex in the shader code ).

You can also find more information on Unity's own documentation here: Writing Post-Processing Effects

Hey there, assuming that you're using our Outline implementation, you'l need to set its Type parameter as Custom so that you're able to pass the correct vertex data to the node, and then use the Add node with both your Vertex sub-graph and the Outline output.

Here's an example for your convenience:

Regarding your feedback on ordering the Get Local Var list, this is definitely possible and I've just registered the suggestion for the developer to consider, thanks!

9. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

Awesome! Thank you!

Amplify_Borba likes this.
  10. Nirvan

Nirvan

Thanks for reply, but I know how to create post processing effects, like I said I made effect which is distorting corners, I know how to distort screen texture, but I want to use depth, not just 2D texture, for effects like depth of field etc.
    I will read some more about that, but not sure if I will find what i wanted.
    Some time ago I've found this tutorial: https://catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/advanced-rendering/depth-of-field/ but can't transfer to ASE yet.

11. manarito

manarito

Haven't really looked at catlikecoding example exhaustively, nor am I an expert in ASE (Although i purchased the package a few month ago, I'm only opening it today for the second time) but I think it might be doable by first having a Texture Sample node for CameraDepthTexture, connected to a Decode Depth Normal node, then connect the depth output in it to the depth input from a Linear Depth node.
    Flying over the tutorial that seemed to me the most difficult part to translate, but I'm not sure if that's the case for you.

12. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

No worries. Was just wondering if I can use Amplify to make optional foliage shaders that would perform well, Deferred being the only option. Will be able to use Amplify for everything else though.

13. Nirvan

Nirvan

Finally after some tries I get from this:
    upload_2019-1-22_17-28-3.png

Something like this:

upload_2019-1-22_17-29-17.png
    upload_2019-1-22_17-29-42.png

But seems to have too small precision, for sure I doing something wrong, I left it now, I had few minutes spare to experiment with this :D

14. fherbst

fherbst

Hey there, hitting a weird wall here. I'm trying to use the Unlit template and export for Android / GLES3;
    however, even a super simple shader is causing internal sshader compiler errors.

upload_2019-1-23_9-42-14.png

When pressing "Compile" button in ASE there is no error shown in the Inspector; however, when pressing "Compile and show code" the error appears. This error also pops up when trying to build for Android and prevents building.

upload_2019-1-23_9-43-38.png upload_2019-1-23_9-43-53.png

Full error message:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader error in 'pfc/Bugreport': Program 'vert', error X8000: D3D11 Internal Compiler Error: Invalid Bytecode: Named register components cannot appear to the left (xyzw order) of components that are not named in a given register. TessFactors are an exception. Affected register is output 2.  (on gles3)
    3. Compiling Vertex program with STEREO_INSTANCING_ON
    4. Platform defines: UNITY_NO_DXT5nm UNITY_NO_RGBM UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_FRAMEBUFFER_FETCH_AVAILABLE UNITY_NO_CUBEMAP_ARRAY UNITY_NO_SCREENSPACE_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF3 UNITY_NO_FULL_STANDARD_SHADER SHADER_API_MOBILE UNITY_LIGHTMAP_DLDR_ENCODING
    I'm on Unity 2018.3.0f2, with build target Android / Oculus VR.
    The "Standard" template works fine, same as default Unlit/Standard shaders from Unity.

EDIT: Upon further inspection, it seems the error is coming from STEREO_INSTANCING_ON, but I can't see where from.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader Disassembly:
    2. // All GLSL source is contained within the vertex program
    4. //////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    5. Keywords set in this variant: STEREO_INSTANCING_ON
    6. -- Hardware tier variant: Tier 1
    7. -- Vertex shader for "gles3":
    8. // Compile errors generating this shader.
    10. -- Hardware tier variant: Tier 1
    11. -- Fragment shader for "gles3":
    12. Shader Disassembly:
    13. // All GLSL source is contained within the vertex program
    15. }
    16. }

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  15. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, could you please send us a sample project with the issue present to support@amplify.pt, so that we can debug the issue using the same data and settings that you're using?

16. fherbst

fherbst

OK, sent you a repro project to that mail address. But the steps are exactly as outlined above, really easy to reproduce.

17. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

@Amplify_Borba

Hi, is there a way to get shadows working with HDRP? When I test your example scene, none of the money heads cast shadows.

Also when I enable shadows on my object, they get funky and aren't shown correctly.

Thanks.

18. Andrey_Graphics

Andrey_Graphics

Hello, depth fade is not working correctly in unity 2018.1.0f2, the same Shader works fine in unity 2018.3.0f2, could you tell me please, that I do not so, there is ideas as correct?

upload_2019-1-25_10-29-32.png

Attached Files:

19. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, which ASE and HDRP versions are you currently using on your project?

I've just tested this using ASE 1.6.2r3 with HDRP 4.8.0 in Unity 2018.3.2f1, Unity's HDRPLit to the left and ASE's HD Lit template to the right, and the results seem to match:

Regarding the HD Samples, you'll have to update the materials by switching templates, compiling, then back to their original one and compile again, in order for shadows to work within the sample's scope. We apologize for the inconvenience and are hoping to find a better workaround for this in the near future.

Hello, I can't seem to reproduce this one, even with the shared shader:

It might be related to your project or assets, can you replicate it in a new project with only ASE imported into it?

20. Andrey_Graphics

Andrey_Graphics

Thanks for the reply, I tried to do in the other scene, and it worked, I realized that the problem is in the source of light if shadows are disabled the Depth fade stops working
    upload_2019-1-25_15-40-4.png upload_2019-1-25_15-40-33.png

21. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Thank you for letting us know!

Please note that depth is written on the shadow pass, and objects that are not receiving or generating shadows disallow the generation of this pass. Should you want to use depth without shadows, you'll have to generate shadows within the shader, and then disable them through the object's mesh renderer.

Andrey_Graphics likes this.
  22. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

I'm running Unity 2018.3.2f1
    ASE 1.6.2r3
    HDRP 4.8.0

Unity's shader with shadows works fine in my scene, your example shaders with shadows do not. Can you walk me through on how to switch the templates?

So far all I have done was installed the SRP > CustomRTTemplates, then compiled the shaders in the SRP HD Material Types folder.

23. cAyouMontreal

cAyouMontreal

Wow that's a very interesting info to know. I had a similar issue on a different project, with the same unity version, I guess it was a matter of activating the shadows.
    Thanks !

24. Skyfly

Skyfly

Is it possible to create a shader, that can smooth out flat objects without smoothing groups? E.g. a cylinder that should have a smooth and round surface, but imports with facets?
    I know how you would normaly treat this, but reimporting or making changes in the 3d package are not possible.

25. Nirvan

Nirvan

I've made moss overlay shader and moss is placed in world space, for floor and ceilings thing is simple,
    just using nodes like this:
    upload_2019-1-27_12-41-32.png

Got this: https://imgur.com/a/L9iRJib

But I want the same effect for walls which never will be rotated in other axis than Y.
    To make it work I used Triplanar mapping but I think it is a bit overkill for performance, I don't need spherical mapping, just two dimensions. How could I make world position mapping work for two dimensions?

https://imgur.com/a/7i27Q5m

My current nodes:
    upload_2019-1-27_12-42-33.png

Probably smilar like triplanar mapping but ignoring one dimension? But I hunting for best performance solution.

Thanks.

26. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

The CustomRTTemplates are templates specific for our Render Texture sample, you need to unpack the HDSRPTemplates.unitypackage to ensure that you're using the latest templates for the HD SRP every time you update ASE.

After unpacking, you need to open the example shaders and switch the Shader Type to any other type, then back to the original and compile. Do note that you'll also need to re-connect the nodes and tweak the output node parameters to their previous values.

We're hoping to find a workaround for this as we understand that it's not practical and we apologize for the inconvenience.

Hello, it's definitely possible, I'd recommend looking into Tessellation for dealing with this type of situation.

Our triplanar node was created to be used as a general purpose triplanar effect, and it's not meant to replace all kinds of triplanar effects, so it would be best that you set up your own custom solution based on your needs.

You may also consider looking into our TriplanarProjection sample for some additional insight on how to set up this type of shader.

27. Amplify_RnD_Rick

Amplify_RnD_Rick

Hey guys,

We've uploaded a new build into our website.

Last week we also uploaded some new builds which I didn't manage to announce over here so I'm also posting their respective release notes.

Release Notes:

v1.6.2 rev 04:

• Fixes:
      • Fixed World To Object and Object To World operations on Lightweight SRP
    • Improvements:
      • Added support for Terrain instancing over Unity 2018.3
      • Correctly handling when user wants to disable main output node
      • Minor tweaks over SRP templates global tags to be able to properly inject code dependent on vertex data

v1.6.2 rev 03:
    • Fixes:
      • Fixed issue on HD Lit Motion Vector's pass
      • Fixed issue with Default UI template when used on Sprite Renderers
    • Improvements:
      • SRP templates no longer have CBuffer block pre-written
        • Instanced Properties now correctly declare CBlocks
      • Added new Receive Shadows option into Lightweight templates to correctly handle shadows

v1.6.2 rev 02:
    • New Node:
      • Instance Id
    • Fixes:
      • Fixed issue on not being able to have multiple property nodes fetching the same variable
      • Fixed version issue on both HD and LW samples
    • Improvements:
      • Removed hard cap on interpolator usage on templates
        • Message is thrown to the user if maximum allowed by shader model is reached

Happy shader creations!

hopeful likes this.
  28. FeastSC2

FeastSC2

I'm having a different result with my particles in my build compared to my game view.

Shader error in 'ScionScript/UberFX': maximum ps_5_0 sampler register index (16) exceeded at line 278 (on d3d11)

I realize now it's due to having too many textures in a single shader. I do however want to have more than 16 textures in that shader. How can I achieve that?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  29. benderete

benderete

I think you can try with Texture arrays:
    http://wiki.amplify.pt/index.php?title=Unity_Products:Amplify_Shader_Editor/Texture_Array

30. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hey there, the only only way go around this limitation without reducing the amount of samplers is using a higher shader model, as bumping to an higher shader model gives you access to more samplers.

Alternatively, you can also combine your samplers into texture arrays, effectively reducing the amount of samplers, as benderete has kindly pointed out.

31. TheTalkingBoot

TheTalkingBoot

Hello!

I would like to know some details:

- Is it possible, on a shader that blends between two textures, to assign a different point light depending on the texture channel?
    - What are the optimal settings for a transparent mobile shader?
    - Can creating your own template save performance for a custom light shader?

Thanks.

32. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, I don't think that the first point is possible, could you provide further insight on what type of effect you're creating?

Regarding the second and third questions, a shader's performance mainly depends on the shader features used, the shader's complexity and the target platform. Shader Templates are the ideal solution for creating high performance custom shaders that are stripped down to the bare essentials, since you have the flexibility to include only the necessary features.

You may also set the precision used for internal calculations, using lower types offers an added performance boost in exchange for some accuracy, and I would recommend that you look into the GPU Gems series for more in-depth information regarding shader optimization.

On a final note, since shader templates do require some advanced shader knowledge, you may also consider using Standard Surface shaders with Custom Lighting as a more user friendly alternative, which should perform adequately on mobile, depending on the shader's complexity.

33. TheTalkingBoot

TheTalkingBoot

Thank you for your reply.

The idea is to have a ground with grayscale grass and colored areas.
    The player point light influences only the colored zone and the enely's one only the grayscale zone.

The question about Alpha and template is because I have tried the following approach:
    Two mesh, one in alpha dissolve and the other in alpha reveal. Both in different layers for the point light exclusion.
    The problem is that we cumulate alpha and more polys.

So if I have to use this method, I would like to save the resources as much as possible.

34. FeastSC2

FeastSC2

16 textures seems to be the maximum.
    So I'd have to use texture arrays but it seems very tedious. Must I create a new texture array every time I want to use different textures?

35. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

I'm not entirely sure on what to suggest in regards to this, but I don't think it'll be possible to achieve exclusively through ASE. Although this is outside of the scope of our support, perhaps you could try to define a spherical radius through script that would correspond to the area of the point light and pass that data ( position in world space and radius ) to the shader as an alternative to the Point Light influence area, so you can calculate within the shader what's inside of that area.

Yes, and we do offer a Texture Array Tool that you can use to assist you with this, which you can access through Window > Amplify Shader Editor > Texture Array Creator:

Do note that multiple textures can be dropped over the tool, and dropping a folder will also include all its texture files, even nested ones.

FeastSC2 likes this.
  36. TheTalkingBoot

TheTalkingBoot

Ok, I will search a solution by coding.
    And I will try to create a custom template, as my custom light shader has the same performance as the standard shader of unity.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  37. jjobby

jjobby

Billboard node cannot be used in HDRP. The shader has compile error.
    |-value specifies const object

38. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, unfortunately not all of our nodes are SRP compatible as they need to be individually updated by our developer, so thank you for bringing this to our attention, we'll be sure to review this node as soon as possible!

39. HitsuSan

HitsuSan

If there's not a way that i don't know of can i suggest you making an attribute for the Texture Sample node that determines if the inspector draws a small or a big icon? Right now is coupled with "No Scale Offset" but i don't see a particular reason why the two things should go together. For me right now it's more annoying than useful cause i'm working with a custom particle fx shader and i need to switch masks constantly to iterate and try to achieve cool results but i'm stuck with either having double tiling and offset (cause i'm using texture coordinates to do scrolling) or a small icon that doesn't show me at a glance what textures are currently on the material.

I know i can make my own custom drawer but this should hopefully be a qol improvement for the whole product ^^

EDIT:
    Here's what i've been up to recently, i've updated all my shaders and tried other solutions for visual shader coding (just to stay updated on who's the best) and you guys are so ahead of everything else that's not even funny lol. Anyway all you see here is powered by Amplify Shader once again, thank you so much for such a great tool, it has helped me immensely with my job!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  40. Sibylline-Siren

Sibylline-Siren

Does anyone know if ASE allows you to track the speed of the camera? I'd like to change the offset of a texture based on how much the position of the camera has changed since the previous frame...
    If not, I guess setting up a Vector node as property and feeding it the camera speed from a script would work. Would it?

41. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hey there and thank you for your feedback and kind words, it should be possible for us to add a custom attribute for the texture sampler node in order to define the icon size, I'll be sure to register this for the developer to consider!

Hello, you'll have to get that data through scripting and feed it to the ASE shader through a property.

Our Smear and ForceShield samples provide practical examples for using scripts together with ASE, feel free to check them out and let us know if you stumble upon any issues.

HitsuSan likes this.
  42. jjobby

jjobby

megatonmedia likes this.
  43. shuncoro

shuncoro

Hello!

When converted to RGBtoHSVtoRGB
    Is it normal for the color to change?

Thanks.
    RGBtoHSVtoRGB.jpg

44. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hey there, unfortunately we have no estimates for when we'll be able to offer additional samples such as this one, as our limited resources are being pooled into bug fixes, optimization and Unity's SRP, apologies for the inconvenience.

Hello, thank you for bringing this to our attention, there seems to be an issue with the preview of the node which we're going to investigate, however, it should be passing the correct data if you plug it into the main output node.

45. Kriszo91

Kriszo91

Hello!

I would like to upgrade my shaders to HDRP, but i can't find any solution to replace GrabPasses and other not supported things,maybe there are any new technique to replace these things?

46. cAyouMontreal

cAyouMontreal

I don't think you have an alternative on grabpass for the HDRP. They made a quick and dirty workaround on shadergraph for the LWRP but didn't provide any easy solution yet for the HDRP. Wait&see?

47. ScaniX

ScaniX

Is there any way to change the background color or caret color of the text field in the custom expression? The caret is pretty much invisible. In addition with parts wrapping into invisibility (height of field stays 1 line, but text wraps to two lines) this makes it pretty hard to edit. Xd

48. jjobby

jjobby

Hi @Amplify_Borba This may not relate to Amplify but I'd like to ask about Shader Pass in HDRP. I tried to replicate fur effect from this example. https://github.com/PacktPublishing/Unity-2018-Shaders-and-Effects-Cookbook-Third-Edition/tree/master/Chapters 1-11/Unity Shaders and Effects/Assets/Chapter 11/Shaders

It's a normal PBR shader so it won't work in HDRP. So, I created HDRP shader in Amplify for fur pass and based shader. I edited the based shader code by copying a part of fur pass shader code (generated from Amplify) and add multiple shader pass into the based shader like in the example. The based shader can be compiled but the problem is that those shader pass didn't get executed. Unlike in normal PBR shader, the shader will automatically execute all those shader pass. Is this method possible in HDRP shader? I see that each shader pass in HDRP has its own name and tag. But can HDRP shader execute custom shader pass?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  49. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, there's no alternative that we know of, at least at this time.

Unity has officially stated that GrabPass no longer exists, and we've only recently added support for Refraction in our latest HD Lit Template, which is based on Unity's HD Lit master node. It might be best to wait for the SRP to mature and provide additional features before fully committing into it.

Hello, unfortunately this won't be possible, but thank you for the feedback.

Hello, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what kind of issue that you've stumbled into, could you please share your Amplify shader and template so that we may better understand what kind of trouble you're having with shader passes in the HDRP shader? What exactly did you create using our editor?

If you're trying to pass shader code generated from an Amplify shader to a Unity shader or vice-versa, this is not something that we'd recommend that you do and we can't offer any sort of support in that regard.

50. jjobby

jjobby

Hi, this is what I want to do. Adding multiple custom pass in subshader.
    I use normal PBR as an example because the code is shorter but the idea is the same. I did this in HDRP shader but those custom shader pass weren't executed. The shader doesn't have any compile error. HDRP shader has already had 10 or more shader pass by default. I just want to ask that can HDRP shader support additional custom pass like this in subshader? This is just an experimental. I'd like to know if it's possible in HDRP shader or not.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019