Search Unity

[Best Tool Asset Store Award] Amplify Shader Editor - Node-based Shader Creation Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hey there, it's being actively worked on, we'll be sure to announce it in an upcoming build so stay tuned!

2. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

They render fine but when I got to the shader list, there is a spot called Failed To Compile and most of my shaders are in there. My shaders are pretty much finished except for the hair which I am still struggling to properly set up passes for. I had a bright idea for setting up passes in the shader editor, such as have a button to add a pass and an optional combine of the parameters. Probably impossible to do, but it will save me time from hacking about in code

3. deadlycrow

deadlycrow

Thanks!, i've posted again in the amplify forum, the problem still exists :(

4. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

upload_2018-12-17_15-39-32.png

Tested the Kajiya-Kay function and it is working very nicely... however, I am trying to add passes to the hair and nothing has changed...

I added some additional passes (created a pass after the GBuffer pass) just to get some depth on the hair and I saw no changes. should I be creating the passes about the GBuffer pass or after all of passes?

5. Branxord

Branxord

Hey everybody, i got a question, i want to have this hologram shader slightly OVER the character, like for a shield over the skin, but as you can see i duplicated the model and gave it the hologram material, made it bigger, but it doesn't line up with the original character, and i'm thinking i have to use the same animation component inside the duplicate so it's not T posing and i don't think that's good, any ideas?

Attached Files:

6. MattyWS

MattyWS

You can't simply scale up the whole model, you'll have to push the verts on the model relative to their vertex normals.

Branxord and KRGraphics like this.
  7. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

If you want to write to depth in the fragment, you need to manually calculate the clipspace ndc, and I believe that it shoud be written in the GBuffer pass. Also, if you're using deferred hair with temporal dither, you don't need to change anything in the depth normal, however, if its forward / transparent hair, this might be necessary.

Hello! As MattyWS kindly replied, scaling the object will not be enough and you will likely have to resort to vertex manipulation, accounting for the vertex normals of the mesh.

8. Branxord

Branxord

Oh ok, how can i do that tho? (quite new with shaders sorry)

9. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I don't know how to do this, unfortunately. I'm using the HDSRP for this hair

10. Johny-Gull

Johny-Gull

Is it possible to somehow add additional passes to the Post-processing Template other than Screen? eg Depth Texture
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/SL-CameraDepthTexture.html
    I think it should be somewhere in the Pass, but I do not quite understand how this should work
    I have too many different shaders in the project and I don’t want to add a depth pass for the effect to each of them, especially since some are not built on Amplify

11. jjobby

jjobby

I updated both Amplify and HDRP template to latest version. How can I recompile shaders to fix the errors? I tried to re-import Amplify package but those HD SRP shaders still couldn't find correct paths.

12. dadude123

dadude123

Oh, that is surprising as the preview were perfect for tons of scenarios.
    I guess it can't be helped, not a big problem for me as long as I know that it's definitely the previews which are off (as opposed to something like the generated shader having an actual bug or something).

Is it known what functions can have glitched previews? Or is it a specific combination of nodes?

That's what I've been doing so far but it's a bit troublesome to use as you can't easily reorder colors or even add new ones. Thanks for forwarding the idea!

13. corjn

corjn

Hey, quick question :

Terrain looks broken when "draw instanced" is toggled in unity 2018.3 with an amplify terrain shader.

Is there a way to make it work already ? (like an additional surface option or an additional directive)

It's also looking broken with the standard unity surface shader, so...

Thanks in advance for you time,

Jonathan

14. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Here's a simple example for your convenience:

Do note that the results will always depend on how the object's mesh is set up.

Hello, do you mean to access the depth buffer?
    You can use the screen depth node in order to access it without having to add a depth pass.

You'll have to open each HD SRP sample shader in the ASE editor and compile them, so that their template updates correctly. Unfortunately there's no way we can force this on our side, it must be done manually whenever the templates are updated.

Nodes that end up showing blank or different results from what you'll see in the scene / game view are not exactly being affected by glitches, you can see it as a limitation that might occur depending on the data that they receive and how they're handling it internally.

The previews are definitely something that we hope to improve in the future in order to make them more user friendly.

Hello, support for Terrain Instancing is still being worked on, apologies for the inconvenience!

corjn likes this.
  15. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

Spoiler, a bit of self promotion! :D

My wind asset Advanced Dynamic Shaders, made with Amplify Shader Editor, has been nominated for Unity 2018 Award in Best Development Tools Category! :cool:

Vote your favorite here: https://awards.unity.com/#best-development-tool

Thanks everyone and thanks to Amplify for this awesome tool!!! :)
    ADS FInalist - opt.gif

@Amplify - I have a suggestion. It would be nice to be able to link different properties to tessellation parameters.
    upload_2018-12-19_15-27-16.png

Thanks!

16. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hey there, congratulations!
    The team wishes you the best of luck!

Regarding your suggestion, I'll register it for the developer to consider, but it should be possible to expose those parameters.

In the meantime, you may consider using the Tessellation nodes with properties connected to it, in order to be able to tweak it through the material inspector

17. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

Thank you! I really appreciate it!
    I didn't know about the tessellation node... In this case I'll just use them instead.

18. jjobby

jjobby

Thank you. It seems to work. But there is an error in the shader. How to fix it?

Attached Files:

19. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

We can't replicate that error on our side, can you confirm if you're using the latest 4.6.0 HDRP package?

And that you've extracted the HDSRPTemplates.unitypackage rather than the HDSRPTemplates (Legacy).unitypackage?

20. jjobby

jjobby

Yes. I've already checked that they are the latest version.

Attached Files:

21. Johny-Gull

Johny-Gull

Yeah! Thanks, Amplify Borba for Screen Depth :)
    I should have read the wiki carefully

UPD: as it turned out, the problem was in the scene in which I worked. Advice to everyone, just in case, create a shader in a clean scene :)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  22. cAyouMontreal

cAyouMontreal

Hey there ! Any ETA for GrabPass support for the HD SRP ? I've been looking into some forum threads about an official support from Unity (for their shadergraph) and so far I've only seen some sort of workaround for the LWRP (??), using an hack with _CameraOpaqueTexture. Nothing related to HDRP yet...How do they make their glass shader then?

The only thing I want right now is to get the pixel rendered behind, just to make a lerp with the result of my shader. I don't think I can achieve that with the different blend modes, so I ended up going with grabpass, but hey, no support yet :(

23. jjobby

jjobby

@Amplify_Borba I've created new project in 2018.3 and done the update again. Some shaders still show warning "floating point division by zero" but they don't have any error. I'm not sure what's the problem with previous project. It may be because the Amplify plugin wasn't updated properly when I updated it from Asset Store version to your website version.

24. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

In case you are packing your textures, here is a comparison for normal map packed in different channels.
    Of course this meters only if the texture is compressed.

Left image: Nx (Green channel) Ny (Alpha channel), this is how unity packs the normal map
    Right image: Nx (Red channel) Ny (Green channel)

upload_2018-12-20_17-1-5.png

25. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

No problem, thank you for letting us know you've sorted it out!

Hello, due to lack of grab pass support in the HD SRP, I'm afraid that we'll only be able to support Refraction in our upcoming HD Lit Template, which is based on Unity's HD Lit master node and will solve some issues that the HD PBR has.

We have no ETA for this, but it should be coming soon as we're actively working on it!

Glad to know you've managed to solve the issue you were having!

It's possible that if your previous project had errors present in the console, Unity's package manager could to fail to import ASE correctly. This is usually solvable by clearing the errors first and then reimporting ASE.

If there were no errors in your project, it might've been a compatibility issue with another tool or asset in your project.

Regarding the warning, you can disregard it as it's harmless, hopefully we can remove or hide it in a future build.

Thank you for sharing!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019 at 10:33 AM
    cAyouMontreal likes this.
  26. cAyouMontreal

cAyouMontreal

Thanks for giving me an answer, I'm stuck right now with an blend I want to achieve, and I think I can't do it without getting the pixel rendered behind and doing some quick math (like an average). I basically encode "wind" direction into red and green channel, with a zero vector set at 0.5/0.5. So if you have first a color of 1/0.5 and then on top of it a color of 0/0.5, the logical result should become 0.5/0.5. And this result can't be achieve using basic blend modes. I can't even find a way to set the BlendOp on the HDRP template, I don't know if it's supported or not, and if there is a reason why it's not.

27. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there,

I've been keeping an eye on this case and I would like to remind everyone that while we encourage you to distribute your custom content, we cannot allow anyone to freely distribute our editor; be it partially or any other form of source replication.

We've requested that you remove our editor from your repository, nothing more. Making it private is a viable choice, how you distribute your content will definitely depend on your requirements but allowing other users to access our source violates the Asset Store terms of service. This situation is not a direct result of your forum post, it's the result of distributing our assets for which we occasionally search GitHub for; you would be surprised with how many people accidentally include paid packages in their public projects.

I would appreciate it if you could explain why you need to include our source in your repository.

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  28. hopeful

hopeful

It's easy to believe that people accidentally post partial or entire assets online.

I know that in the Unity forum, every once in a while a developer new to Unity that's having a problem with a plugin will append their "problem project" to a public comment, thereby allowing anyone reading the thread to download the entire plugin for free. That's one of the reasons we have and need moderators. ;)

29. brisingre

brisingre

And like I said, fair enough. I've got no problem with being told not to share something copyrighted, and I complied with the request. I don't blame you. I appreciate that it's 100% my own fault. I don't want to give the impression that I blame Amplify for their decision, I may have posted somewhat rashly.

But it doesn't exactly make me feel good about giving back to the community with my own work, and for reasons I can't quite fully explain that has strongly affected me emotionally. I'm taking a step back from this forum, and a break from asenoise and actually from unity development in general, until I'm doing better myself.

I just didn't want to leave anybody who might be using it high and dry, that's all. I'm not actually going to be seeing PMs here for a couple months either, so if that's you email me I guess?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  30. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

It's a common issue, hence why the only action we usually take is letting users know they might need to make a few adjustments.

Thank you for clearing that up, we appreciate it.

I have to say that I also don't fully understand your reasoning but your contribution is always welcome here, let's just all play by the same rules in future.

Have a great holiday!

31. cAyouMontreal

cAyouMontreal

I finally found a way to do it. I didn't know you can write negative values to a rendertexture through a camera, and this solved by blending issue, as I have now values from -1 to 1, and blending them additively works perfectly.

32. anpd03

anpd03

Testing expanding the sample water shader, added world UI coordinates and now looking to add flow maps and waves. Any one have any examples for that?

33. deverolirc

deverolirc

Hi guys, I have a vertex wind shader, normally the wind is "masked" by vertex colors, for example any areas that are black will not have any wind effect. However, instead I want to define this by texture, for example areas that are black on the grayscale texture will not effect the nearby vertices, is this possible? This is the wind function I am using. Would appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction, with some sort of example, etc. I have been looking online forever.

upload_2018-12-24_5-0-34.png

hopeful likes this.
  34. cAyouMontreal

cAyouMontreal

I've been talking about masking on my tutorial about global wind/bend effect on grass, you check it on my twitter here
    but the idea is to create some UV based on vertex y position, and use a grayscale texture to get a multiplier of your bend effect.

Amplify_Ricardo likes this.
  35. deverolirc

deverolirc

Hey, thanks for the tutorial, only issue is the reason for not wanting to use vertex colors is because I have complex tree meshes with leaf cards facing every which way direction. I have a wind function working fine, but I want to exclude some vertices based on a grayscale texture using the same texture cords as my leaf card texture.

Let me know if you have any idea how to achieve this.

36. cAyouMontreal

cAyouMontreal

Why don't you just leave the UV on original settings and just multiply the R value from your grayscale texture to the wind force? Sorry I might get it wrong here.

37. Branxord

Branxord

38. cAyouMontreal

cAyouMontreal

Is it more like if(value < 0) output 0 else output value ?

39. Branxord

Branxord

i think so yeah!

40. deadlycrow

deadlycrow

Hey, i would appreciate if anyone could help me with this glitch:

It happens when you use custom lighting, outline and static meshes (not sure how many, because with just a few it doesnt happen). if anyone encountered this glitch at some point? is there a workaround?

41. sybere

sybere

Hello!

I have a distortion shader, i would like to apply this to a mesh with 2 material, but when i added as a third material only the first material get the effect, any idea what i need to do to cover all two material with the third material?

42. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

We don't have anything on the official package but we might be able to add something soon.

Check your PM.

I suppose it should be possible, have you run into any issues?

We used to but we removed it during development, we might need to add a node for that soon. I recommend using a Custom Expression node for that effect.

We just replied to your thread on our forum, the problem is caused by batching.

** ATTENTION **

Our response will be severely slower due the holiday season, we should be back to full speed in a couple of weeks.

Thank you for understanding.

43. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there, I think we will need to examine a sample to be sure. (support@amplify.pt)

44. adamz

adamz

@Amplify_Borba

Hi, so Im running 2018.3.0f2 and installed ASE 1.6.1r3. When I open your example SRP HD Material Types shaders, I get this error:
    Error!!! Invalid current template. Switching to Standard Surface.

Even my previous shaders that I created for the HD pipeline gives that worked before gives me the same error and conversion. Thoughts?

Thanks.

45. deverolirc

deverolirc

@Amplify_Ricardo Yes, I have tried, no luck :confused:, I can't seem to figure it out or where to even start, do you have any examples of a masking a vertex animation with a texture instead of vertex colors? Any help would be amazing, I have looked everywhere!

Cheers!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  46. sybere

sybere

Hello!

Any good way to make an outline shader with deffered rendering? as i see the outline option in the output node are only forward.

Thanks!

47. MattyWS

MattyWS

Is there still no possible way to display the wireframe in the shader? I really don't want to be rendering the wireframe of every model to texture to be used for the effect I want. :(

48. uboncukcu

uboncukcu

Hello ,

I am trying to do add a splash image on hit point , but my splash image is soo big how can I scale and set hit position?

Thanks!

s.PNG

49. RichardTVDM

RichardTVDM

Hi there,

when using the outline node in HDRP it generates a null reference

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AmplifyShaderEditor.OutlineNode.PropagateNodeData (AmplifyShaderEditor.NodeData nodeData, AmplifyShaderEditor.MasterNodeDataCollector& dataCollector) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Nodes/Vertex/OutlineNode.cs:85)
    AmplifyShaderEditor.MasterNode.SetupNodeCategories () (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Nodes/Master/MasterNode.cs:174)
    AmplifyShaderEditor.TemplateMultiPassMasterNode.CollectData () (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Templates/TemplateMultiPassMasterNode.cs:1301)
    AmplifyShaderEditor.TemplateMultiPassMasterNode.BuildShaderBody () (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Templates/TemplateMultiPassMasterNode.cs:1249)
    AmplifyShaderEditor.TemplateMultiPassMasterNode.Execute (System.String pathname, System.Boolean isFullPath) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Templates/TemplateMultiPassMasterNode.cs:1286)
    AmplifyShaderEditor.MasterNode.Execute (UnityEngine.Shader selectedShader) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Nodes/Master/MasterNode.cs:470)
    AmplifyShaderEditor.ParentGraph.FireMasterNode (UnityEngine.Shader selectedShader) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Graphs/ParentGraph.cs:2573)
    AmplifyShaderEditor.AmplifyShaderEditorWindow.SaveToDisk (System.Boolean checkTimestamp) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Menu/AmplifyShaderEditorWindow.cs:1421)
    AmplifyShaderEditor.AmplifyShaderEditorWindow.OnToolButtonPressed (AmplifyShaderEditor.ToolButtonType type) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Menu/AmplifyShaderEditorWindow.cs:1516)
    AmplifyShaderEditor.ToolsWindow.OnButtonPressedEvent (AmplifyShaderEditor.ToolButtonType type) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Menu/Tools/ToolsWindow.cs:206)
    AmplifyShaderEditor.ToolsMenuButton.Draw (System.Single x, System.Single y) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Menu/Tools/ToolsMenuButton.cs:172)
    AmplifyShaderEditor.ToolsWindow.Draw (UnityEngine.Rect parentPosition, UnityEngine.Vector2 mousePosition, System.Int32 mouseButtonId, System.Boolean hasKeyboadFocus) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Menu/Tools/ToolsWindow.cs:234)
    AmplifyShaderEditor.AmplifyShaderEditorWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Menu/AmplifyShaderEditorWindow.cs:4343)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <ac823e2bb42b41bda67924a45a0173c3>:0)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <ac823e2bb42b41bda67924a45a0173c3>:0)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <ac823e2bb42b41bda67924a45a0173c3>:0)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:342)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:336)
    UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect onGUIPosition, UnityEngine.Rect viewRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:310)
    UnityEditor.DockArea.DrawView (UnityEngine.Rect viewRect, UnityEngine.Rect dockAreaRect, System.Boolean customBorder, System.Boolean floatingWindow, System.Boolean isBottomTab) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:363)
    UnityEditor.DockArea.OldOnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:322)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 worldTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Boolean isComputingLayout) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:266)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 worldTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:438)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:421)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleEvent (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventBase evt) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:401)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventDispatcher.PropagateEvent (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventBase evt) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/EventDispatcher.cs:754)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventDispatcher.ProcessEvent (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IPanel panel) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/EventDispatcher.cs:599)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventDispatcher.Dispatch (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IPanel panel, UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.DispatchMode dispatchMode) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/EventDispatcher.cs:307)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel.SendEvent (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventBase e, UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.DispatchMode dispatchMode) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Panel.cs:176)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.DoDispatch (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel panel) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.cs:245)
    UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.cs:68)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:179)

50. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, apologies for the delay in our response. If you've created your shaders using an older version of the HD SRP you'll need to update them for use with the new template we've created for the 4.6.0 HDRP.

After updating to the latest ASE 1.6.1r3, you'll need to update your project's HDRP to 4.6.0 through Unity's Package Manager, then extract the HDSRPTemplates.unitypackage which contains the updated template for this version.
    Then you'll have to open each shader that has been authored with an older version of the HDRP template and compile it manually, including our HD Samples, so that they use the new template.

Unfortunately there's no automatic way of doing this process at this time, apologies for the inconvenience.

Hello, you should be able to do so by replacing the Vertex Color nodes with a Texture Sample, although it would be optimal to use vertex colors rather than a texture mask.

Hey there, you'll have to set up your own custom outline solution, since the one that we currently offer is limited to forward only.

I would suggest that you consider implementing a custom screen space solution, which might involve additional scripting, but it can be much more flexible.
    The following article might be a good reference for this: Unity Shaderlab Outline - Screen Space.

Could you please elaborate on your current implementation so that we can provide some further insight?

Hello, you should be able to scale your textures through the Texture Coordinates node, which will allow you to set different tiling values for the texture's UVs.

In order to pass coordinates to the shader, you'll have to resort to scripting in order to feed such values to it.
    Feel free to refer to our Smear sample, which makes use of global variables and sets them via script, as a working example.