Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Build games and experiences that can load instantly and without install. Explore the Project Tiny Preview today!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

[Best Tool Asset Store Award] Amplify Shader Editor - Node-based Shader Creation Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Elfinnik159

Elfinnik159

Hello
    I can't use tessellation with HDRP. Is it possible (if yes, please tell me where to activate it)?

2. namdo

namdo

I have a shader that works in gamma color space but when I change it to linear color space it stops working. How do I fix it?

3. Endi24

Endi24

Does anyone know how I would go about making reflective puddles?

4. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Hello,

can I use Amplify Shaders to improve shaders which I bought or found on the net (which are not created with Amplify shaders)?
    And automatically test them for Errors or Performance improvemtents?

Can I create a shader that works like the Standard shader but only Needs the Albedo and normal map (using light and fog and shadows the Standard way) or Looks better than the Standard shader (stronger 3D effect) but with same Performance?

Thanks a lot :)

5. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Does ASE have any other noise types available somehow (other than Simplex 2D/3D)? I noticed Unity's Shader Graph has Perlin, Value, and Voronoi noise.

> https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ShaderGraph/wiki/Voronoi-Node

Made a custom function node for Voronoi based off Unity's:

vn.jpg

I'm glad they have the source so I can use it in ASE, but I was hoping there might be some built-in nodes or functions?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    hopeful and AthrunVLokiz like this.
  6. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

Don't suppose there's any more help for my problem? I can't use it at all as is. T_T

7. castor76

castor76

I have given up on how I can modify my vertex tangent. There is input for local vertex offset and normal, but no tangent.

I want to do something like this : v.tangent = float4(0,1,0,-1); in my vertex shader.

Any idea?

8. cAyouMontreal

cAyouMontreal

For testing it's cool to have noise nodes, but it's always better to bake them into textures, because it's wayyyy faster.
    Personally I don't mind, as I always use textures for noise stuff.

9. castor76

castor76

It will be super cool to have the noise node to be able to bake its state so we can use it like a texture. :D

10. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello! You can find two template packages are located within the Assets > AmplifyShaderEditor > Plugins > EditorResources > Templates > SRP folder:

- HDSRPTemplates (Legacy).unitypackage for HD RP 3.0.0 and below
    - HDSRPTemplates.unitypackage for HD RP 4.0.0 and above

You must only extract the one that corresponds to the SRP version you have installed, which in this case would be the (Legacy) one.

Hello! Unfortunately, it's not yet possible to use Tessellation with HDRP, and we are currently unable to give you a proper ETA.

The HD pipeline has been in constant changes over these last weeks and, as such, we've decided to let it first stabilize and then expand our own templates with the new functionalities. Apologies for any inconvenience.

Hello, could you please share some additional information?
    What do you mean by "stops working"? Are there any errors in the console?

Hello, it would depend on how you'd approach it, but we do have two samples that might help - CubemapReflections and ReflectRefractSoapBubble.

Hello, ASE allows you to create shaders through visual node editing, and it will allow you to edit those shaders only.
    Any other shader that has not been authored through ASE will not be recognized or opened.

It's possible to author Standard shaders as well, but their performance will depend on the shader's complexity and features being used. Just to be clear, a specific Standard Surface shader written by hand that is recreated in ASE should have the same performance.

You can also create custom shaders with ASE through Shader Templates, defining which ports and features are available in order to maximize performance. This is an advanced feature that requires some shader knowledge, though, and you will have to manually edit the template's code in some extent as well.

Hey there! I've opened a request for this so that the developer can consider the possibility of adding those noise types in the future, thank you for the suggestion!

Hello! From the screenshots it appears that there's no transparency or alpha cut being applied, are you by any chance indicating an incorrect value in the Alpha Clip Threshold that might be causing the Alpha Test to not cut where it should?

MirzaBeig and KRGraphics like this.
  11. Amplify_RnD_Rick

Amplify_RnD_Rick

Hey guys,

We've uploaded a new build into our website.

Here are the release notes.

Release Notes v1.6.1 rev 01/02:
    • Fixes:
      • Fixed issue with reordering material properties for Translucency and Refraction port's properties
      • Fixed issue with 'Texture Sample' node when referencing an unconnected node
      • Fixed issue with late directives being injected on globals tag when functions area is available
        • Affected usage of 'World Space Light' nodes on HDRP templates
      • Fixed division by 0 issue on 'Triplanar Sample' node
      • Fixed incorrect directional light vector usage on HDRP templates
    • Improvements:
      • Updated HDRP templates to v4.3.0
      • 'Vertex Tangent' node now has Size option
      • Added access to all 8 UV sets on Surface shaders
      • Re-added 'Clip' node
        • First Input Port acts as a relay
        • Clip uses difference between Alpha and Threshold ( Alpha - Threshold )

Hope you all have a great weekend and happy shader creations!

hopeful and MirzaBeig like this.
  12. castor76

castor76

What about? :

I have given up on how I can modify my vertex tangent. There is input for local vertex offset and normal, but no tangent.

I want to do something like this : v.tangent = float4(0,1,0,-1); in my vertex shader.

Any idea?

13. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I have no idea. In the initial setup, I didn't define an Alpha Clip threshold, since I want the hair to look full...

I'll have to play with it again tonight, this time adding the threshold. The alpha texture has very smooth hair and increasing the threshold makes the hair look weird. Also turning on Zwrite helps a bit.

I'm basically doing 4 passes... two with cull off, and one front and one back... would love to try and emulate the hair shader from Ryse and Uncharted 4

14. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

LAST CALL!

Quick heads up for anyone interested in adding Amplify Shader Editor, Amplify Impostors, or any of our other products to their collection, the Unity Asset Store CYBER WEEK MADNESS SALE ends today!

Now is the best time to get our packages at half price!

MADNESS SALE - Amplify Products at 50% OFF

15. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

upload_2018-12-7_21-22-45.png upload_2018-12-7_21-22-53.png

@Amplify_Borba So here is my hair setup with AlphaTest... and with the Alpha Threshold... it looks horrible.

upload_2018-12-7_21-25-32.png upload_2018-12-7_21-25-43.png
    And here is my setup like it was originally... everything looks softer and natural... it's basically setting the Alpha Threshold to 0 to give the hair a very soft look... I am going to try doing the passes and try to get the depth of the hair...

16. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

upload_2018-12-7_23-25-55.png

Yay... my somewhat successful creation of hair passes... although it doesn't have the same softness that I desire :(

17. brisingre

brisingre

I'm working on noise library for ASE. I've got a whole bunch of stuff I want to do still, but I have most of the common noise types, more than enough to get you off to a good start.

PM me if you have any ideas about making this library better, I can add you to the discord and the github.

Attached Files:

sacb0y and KRGraphics like this.
  18. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

Look at their simple terrain sample. They are setting the tangents via custom expresion which is then plugged in the vertex normal port.

19. bitinn

bitinn

Hi, I am just wondering if it is possible to port a Surface shader using Custom Lighting to LWRP, and if it's not already possible out of the box, what could I have done to make this easier for myself?

20. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

To bump my recent post, I still can't get the hair to the proper softness even with the passes I created. What other steps could I have missed ?

And I have a shader function for Kajiya-kay that keeps breaking my shader.

21. KMarc

KMarc

@Amplify_Ricardo
    I'm attempting to update my project to use the Light Weight Rendering Pipeline. I've watched the youtube tutorial and have all the correct assets imported. The issue I'm having is that when I open existing ASE shader graphs, and I change the Shader Type to be "Lightweight PBR", the node links are broken (it appears this is normal behavior), but then after I hook them back up and attempt to save my shader, when I then reopen the shader graph, the node links again are not connected and my shader isn't displaying correctly.

Any tips? Using Unity 2018.2.3f1 and ASE 1.6.1

22. MadGoat

MadGoat

Hello,

Any idea why we only get shadowcasting to work in Fade and Transparent mode but not in Opaque and Cutout?
    We are trying to make a big single shader with multiple features and we have a dropdown to select blending mode directly on material inspector (like in standard shader)

These are the results we get:

We use code similar to the standard shader GUI to change the renderType and queue in material:
    https://pastebin.com/Qj9DgFtz

This is our base setup for the shader.

Thanks,
    Raul @ MadGoat Studio

23. jnbbender

jnbbender

Big time noob with, what could be a simple question. I'm looking to create something like the Dithering node but rather when the camera approaches, the subject starts to fade. Anyway, this is what I've got.

Any help would be great.

Attached Files:

24. namdo

namdo

This is gamma:

The way its supposed to work.

This is linear:

As you see it's not working.

IT's supposed to be a lavalamp shader.

Should i post the graph? I can't figure this out

25. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Apologies for the delay in our response! As BOXOPHOBIC has kindly suggested, you can refer to our SimpleTerrain sample as an example on how to modify the vertex tangent. You'll need to use the Vertex Tangent node in order to access its vector in object space and, after performing the desired operations, connect it to either the Vertex Offset or Vertex Normal.

I'm not entirely sure on what the issue with softness could be, as I'm not at all familiar with this type of shader, however, our developer is going to run some tests on the Kajiya-Kay function that you have previously shared with us in order to see if there are any issues with the SRP.

We'll let you know as soon as we have any findings to share!

Hello! Can you confirm that you've imported the Legacy package - LWSRPTemplates (Legacy).unitypackage?

The non-legacy one is meant for Unity 2018.3+ and SRP 4.3.0.

Hello! We've ran some simple tests on our side and the shadowcaster seems to be working as expected with both Opaque and Cutout types, so the issue might be elsewhere. Could you share a sample with us through support@amplify.pt with the issue present so that we can investigate this using the same data as you?

Hello! You'll likely need to have your shader set to Transparent, and use the Opacity for having the object fade.

Please let me know if the example below helps:

Hello, depending on how you have your textures and shaders are set up, its definitely possible that there will be different results when changing between Gamma and Linear workflows.

You can find more information regarding Linear and Gamma workflows here.

We also provide two nodes, the Gamma to Linear and Linear to Gamma, which can be used when its necessary to do either conversion within the shader.

MadGoat likes this.
  26. MadGoat

MadGoat

Thanks. I will make a package with the shader, shadergui and the test scene as soon as I can and will send it over to the email address.

27. TheNathanParable

TheNathanParable

@KRGraphics

As far as I know, perfect soft hair rendering is something that even AAA companies haven't managed yet.

I know of two potential workarounds for rendering soft hair with correct depth sorting:

1) Render the hair in two passes. The first pass would be the hair with soft transparency (and all the sorting issues that come with it), and the second pass would be the hair with cutout transparency (correct sorting, but hard edges). You'd then layer the second pass over the first one, so only the soft edges of the first pass are visible. I think this is more or less the technique the Blacksmith hair shader uses (it might use more passes though, like separate ones for front and back culling), though I was never able to get it working properly in newer versions of the Unity engine.

I think i've seen this method used in Rise of the Tomb Raider, among some other games. The problem with this technique is that as soon as the character stands in front of a background with DOF, the soft edges get blurred away (as they are ignored by the depth buffer), leaving behind the crisp cutout edges. As long as your game doesn't make heavy use of DOF, it'll look fine.

2) Render the hair in one pass using dithering. Basically you use cutout transparency, but feed the transparency map into a dither node. You then use Temporal Anti-Aliasing to smooth out the dithered hair, making it look soft. This is the technique used in Final Fantasy 13, Metal Gear Solid 5, and the Unreal 4 Photorealistic Character example.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/Resources/Showcases/PhotorealisticCharacter#hairandtransparency

The upside is that this works with DOF, as the hair only uses cutout transparency (so there's no z-depth issues). The downside is that the Temporal AA can only smooth out the dithering when barely anything is moving, otherwise the dithering can be seen (depending on the game though, it shouldn't be too noticeable. I never noticed this technique being used in either FF13 or MGS5 until I saw still screenshots).

Amplify_Borba and KRGraphics like this.
  28. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This shader has been my toughest to author... I was even wondering how to get the depth of the hair cards... I was looking at how Alloy did it's hair and it was all passes.

29. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I'm trying to go for option one, but it requires a lot of writing and saving... and I have A TON of hair cards that cover the head and it needs to look full. ( Haven't figured out Correct Depth softing) The characters I'm using aren't in extreme closeups, but when I set the hair to white with spec turned up, it looks full...

In my initial tests, I was just copying blocks of code and changing the render tags.

I want to try option two but don't know how to approach this in the editor. My hair textures are hand authored in Substance Painter and they look really soft...

I'll try this tonight but I don't know how far this will get me. I'm using Rendertype Transparent and Queue Transparent+1

30. jnbbender

jnbbender

Untitled.png @Amplify_Borba Thanks for looking at the simple Camera_Depth_Fade issue I was having but the enclosed picture shows why I originally was hoping to do this with some sort of Opaque shader. When the camera gets close to the player, the player does indeed fade away but there is always a hint of "see through" to the player. Most importantly when the camera moves away from the player, I get the following picture. The material has turned very dark. The shader is only applied to the head.

31. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

That's perfectly understandable, it is a very complex effect to tackle. We've ran some tests on the Kajiya-kay function, on both SRP 3.0.0 and the latest 4.6.0, and everything is working as expected, no errors are being generated on our side.

Also, we do provide a Dither node, which accepts Noise Textures and might help you achieve the second option that TheNathanParable kindly suggested.

You could try using a Custom Blend Mode and experiment with the different settings made available, and you will likely need to use a Saturate node to prevent the value range being passed into the Opacity port to be outside of the 0-1 scope it expects.

Please refer to the following example:

32. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Then why does it keep breaking on my end? And I am getting Unity 2018.3 now so I will have some time to play today... I am guessing I plug my hair alpha into this dither node and see where it takes me. Tempted to try the first option again. The first pass is my hair just straight rendered... I could make my own hair template..

EDIT: I may have to remove some options from my hair shader so the Kajiya Kay will work. Could it be that I am using HDSRP and will not work properly.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018 at 3:34 PM
  33. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

So I am trying out the dither node, and I got an error when I plugged in the Alpha Texture...

upload_2018-12-13_10-40-4.png

EDIT: Needed to be in 4x4 mode for it to work... and not liking in the dither pattern since I can't seem to get proper depth sorting... same thing happens to my grass shaders

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018 at 3:49 PM
  34. Player7

Player7

That shader looks like a good way of a having a 1st/3rd person camera where the head uses that as a shader when the camera goes first person, while it still draws the shadow of the geometry on the ground.

hopeful likes this.
  35. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I am going to try the other method of hair rendering that was done in the Blacksmith Demo... once I can look at the shader code, I should be able to emulate it

36. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

@TheNathanParable I might have to share my shader code with you so you can see what i am trying to do. The main pass does EXACTLY what I am looking for... just need to add the second one

37. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

So I have updated to Unity 2018.3 and I have installed the latest version of ASE 1.6.1. Unfortunately, when I load in my scenes, I am greeted with a nice pink dreamland, and several errors. Like this:

Has anyone dealt with this?

EDIT: Fixed... just had to recompute my shaders :), but now the hair is broken... again.

Here is the error that i am getting in my hair shader:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018 at 1:00 AM