Search Unity

[Best Tool Asset Store Award] Amplify Shader Editor - Node-based Shader Creation Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Sep 13, 2016.

1. FeastSC2

FeastSC2

How can I rotate a texture by a certain amount? I don't want that amount to increment itself like the "Rotate" node does. Is that not provided by default in Amplify?

2. marcatore

marcatore

Hi ASE users,
    I'm trying to convert a beautiful shader made for Unreal you can found here
    https://deepspacebanana.github.io/deepspacebanana.github.io/blog/shader/art/unreal engine/Rainy-Surface-Shader-Part-1

I'm stuck at few steps after the beginning just before the "Hiding the Time loop" title.
    I can't really understand where I'm wrong.
    The problem is that the ripples doesn't fade out smoothly like the tutorial and in particular what I can't understand is the reason for the out-of-sync of this part

My ASE shader is downloadable here (wetransfer free, so the link should be available for just one week)
    https://we.tl/dJmCZnVnlj

Thanks in advance for everyone will help me.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  3. OP3NGL

OP3NGL

ASEsample Shader for WaterSurface not working in single pass VR

4. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Greetings,

What do you require exactly?

Try the attached sample, it might be a good place to start.

Be sure to let me know if it works well for your requirements.

Which target platform?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  5. HD-MI

HD-MI

Hello! Thank you for the great asset. I wonder if it's possible yet to make a transparent material based on HD PBR? So far I've managed to turn on transparency by changing both the Blend Mode and Render Queue in the Output Node, but this breaks the reflections completely (which work properly for Opaque materials). The same issue is in Unity Shader Graph, but I wonder if there's a way with Amplify to get the reflections back?

6. OP3NGL

OP3NGL

PC, to give more info, im using unity 2018.2.3 if that helps

EDIT: further testing shows me that refraction is not working in singlepass VR

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  7. victorkin11

victorkin11

I have a problem!!
    I try to work on the old version v1.3.2 shader on new version v1.5.4amplify shader editor, I get some error,

AmplifyShaderEditor.SimpleMaxOp is not a valid ASE node
    AmplifyShaderEditor.TFHCRemap is not a valid ASE node
    Node [Old]Append is deprecated and was replaced by Append

I know when software update, some api will change, but for the node editor, if the node is outdate, as last we should have some dummy node to replace it, so the user can fix the problem, but my graph is broke everywhere, the outdate node just disappear, how can I fix it? all the connection was broke, there is no way I can remember where is the missing node!

8. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, thank you for your kind words and support!

Upon running some tests on my side, I can confirm the issue with reflections on transparent materials to be present in the latest ASE version, although it seems to be Unity related since it also breaks in the Shader Graph, like you've noted.

Unfortunately, since we make use of Unity's implementation, it's likely that we'll have to wait for a fix on their side, either way, I'll have to pass this matter to the developer for further investigation in order to confirm the above, I'll be sure to get back in touch once we know more!

Thank you for the additional information, could you also share your current ASE version with us?

Hello! Our editor does try to convert older version ASE shaders to up-to-date versions, however, since you're using a shader that's so many versions behind, it's likely that you came across an issue with this process, and we apologize for that.

Could you send us your original shader to support@amplify.pt so that we can look into this issue, as it could also help us improve our conversion method?

9. Amplify_RnD_Rick

Amplify_RnD_Rick

Hey guys,

We've uploaded a new build into our website.
    Here are the release notes.

Release Notes v1.5.5 rev 00
    • New Node:
      • Diffuse And Specular From Metallic
    • Fixes:
      • Fixed issues on graph not being updated with material changes on inspector if tab is opened but not selected
      • Preventing Culture difference issues on material copy-paste
      • Fixed issue on all modules template tag conflict with existing shader model definition
      • Fixed HD issue on 'World Position' node
      • Fixed issue on losing name when copy-pasting property nodes between shaders
      • Fixed issue on resetting custom inspector to ASE default when loading or hot code reloading shader with its textfield empty
      • Fixed issue on not setting importer correctly on 'Texture Sample' node when setting a normal map type texture from inspector
    • Improvements:
      • Properties on invisible passes can now be synced with main pass over templates
    We've also uploaded this build into the Unity Asset Store, so it should also be available over there shortly.

Happy shader creations!

10. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

Hi everyone,

Great to hear the that the cascaded shadow issue over Lightweight RP is fixed. Also this one: Fixed issue on losing name when copy-pasting property nodes between shaders. It was quite annoying :D

I also have an update to share. Advanced Dynamic Shaders 2.0, GPU wind shaders comes with more features, improved wind and new shader functions for one click integration with any shader made with Amplify Shader Editor. Coming soon to the Asset Store. Watch the new feature below.

Thanks!

11. HD-MI

HD-MI

Thanks, looking forward to future updates regarding HD!

12. marcatore

marcatore

Actually it seems a good start.
    I'm quite sure I'll come back on this. :)
    Thank you.

13. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Aw, man. Been waiting for subsurface scattering... but I haven't migrated to Unity 2018 yet... will SSS be added to ASE as a shading model? Like preintegrated or Screen Space SSS

14. OP3NGL

OP3NGL

154v007

15. victorkin11

victorkin11

Problem fixed, since my shader use a lot of shader function, old project open in new version ASE, I need to recompile all the shader function before open the shader, that fix the problem, thank!

Conclusion: ASE will replace the outdated node in shader, but if the outdated node is inside the Shader Function, it will break the shader, We need to recompile all the Shader Fuction before open the shader.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  16. bitinn

bitinn

Hi, a quick question:

If I want to control the strength of blend operation (for example, the strength of screen), is multiply node follow by a screen node the right approach? It looked alright to me.

(I am trying to emulate the mix node in blender)

Screen Shot 2018-08-17 at 16.13.04.png

17. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

It truly looks amazing, thank you for sharing!

Thank you for understanding!

Please let us know if you have any further questions, we'll be happy to help!

At this time we only provide SSS support in the HD pipeline as one of the options of the Material Type, however, we might consider a specific template that won't require 2018 in the future, as we're still working on the Hair sample.
    Do note that this could still take a while and, as such, we can't offer any estimates for its availability.

I see that you are a couple of versions behind, could you please try creating a new project, doing a clean import of the latest ASE version from our website, and checking if the issue is still present, as I can't seem to replicate it on my side?

Thank you for letting us know that you've managed to sort this out, and also for providing additional details!

We're hoping to simplify the process of updating shaders after altering a shader function, which should also allow ASE to be able to handle situations like this, hopefully we'll be able to come up with a practical solution for it in the future!

Hey there! If you're trying to emulate the Mix node in Blender, I believe that the node that you're looking for in ASE is the Lerp node. Please let me know if this is not the case, thanks!

18. bitinn

bitinn

The mix node has several blend modes in Blender, what I really meant was its "screen" mode, not "mix" mode.

I know screen is 1 - (1 - a) * (1 - b), but Blender offers an extra input to control the strength of "screen" effect, I am not sure how they did it internally, and so far I have been using this in ASE:

Screen Shot 2018-08-17 at 20.27.01.png

Is this how you would control the intensity of screen effect?

19. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Hi, maybe someone could point me in the right direction? :)

I need to make a candle flame and I'm not sure which path is better:
    a) a flipbook on a billboard
    b) an animated shader that offsets the surface of a 3D flame mesh

the second choice is what I want to try (pretty sure I can figure out a flipbook), but at the risk of re-inventing an unnecessary wheel, maybe there are tutorials or a near-example…? or maybe this is not a good idea?

I've an idea that it is moving (time) 3D noise, multiplied by a gradient… and then offset-per-pixel… ?

These are static candles so they don't need to react to movement or environment, just look lively.

20. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

In that situation, I believe that the use of the Multiply node for controlling the intensity is adequate.

Hello! I would recommend using the flipbook if you have the necessary assets for it, otherwise, you could resort to deforming a mesh, in which case I'd recommend checking out our SimplePotionLiquid sample as a reference on how to achieve this.

You could use a grayscale texture to perform the offset of the vertices, in order to avoid using the Noise Generator node since it's quite expensive.

wetcircuit likes this.
  21. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

That's cool. I already have a hair shader, which just needs multipass rendering. @Amplify_Paulo was very helpful in getting some of the shading models to work using shader functions (Marshner is currently missing) and I have to use the Standard Specular model since Custom Lighting only works in forward rendering.

I'm tempted to just update to Unity 2018 and get on board (Alloy Skin and Hair will probably break in the HD Pipeline)... I have ideas for the diffuse bump

22. LegendarySushi

LegendarySushi

Hi,

I have a super simple skybox shader i made with Amplify in Unity 2018 (not lightweight pipeline). When I build asset bundles and hit play it shows the material as black (Android Platform since I have to test for Android/iOS).

When I go to the shader option at the top under the material name and select the exact same shader 'Skybox' everything suddenly works until I stop playmode and hit it again. The material outside play mode looks fine with the shader working (below is the simple shader as well).

Do you know why this shader is refusing to work on the material? Do I need to do something special to make it work for 2018? I thought any shaders made with amplify simply work in 2018 atm.

Also, it simply shows as black when built to an Android device as well.

Thank you!

upload_2018-8-17_14-39-33.png upload_2018-8-17_14-39-52.png

upload_2018-8-17_14-40-34.png

Attached Files:

23. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Thank you for the help!

Here's a very impractical 9100 procedurally generated candles. :p

Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 4.15.57 PM.png

Flipbook worked great! Thank you!

hopeful likes this.
  24. petersx

petersx

Hi, I can't find a SRP HD Material Types samples ? Nevermind, found :)

25. DGordon

DGordon

I'm using the POM effect as shown on the wiki. Is there any way to stop the "sliding" effect when moving the camera? For example, when I have an object on the floor with POM at a specific location, the floor texture directly under the object shifts a tiny bit as I move the camera's position.

This is noticeable in every POM solution I've purchased so far ... just curious if there is any way around it?

26. petersx

petersx

Hi,
    Is it possible to make tesselation shader in SRP HD ?

27. bitinn

bitinn

Hi Amplify team,

I just realize Vertex Normal node is breaking shadow caster/depth texture batching during GPU instancing (using ASE 1.5.4 with Unity 2018.2.3). Is this a fixable issue?

An example below (don't be mislead by the text saying "dynamic batching disabled", I intentionally do so as my model has more than 300 vert and I am using GPU instancing exclusively due to a dynamic scene).

Also note that GPU instancing is still working for objects, it's only breaking shadow caster and depth texture.

Using Vertex Normal node

Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 16.45.16.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 16.37.00.png

Remove Vertex Normal node

Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 16.45.38.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 16.37.22.png
    Thx!

28. petersx

petersx

Hi,

@Amplify - btw - congrats with SSS shader :)

1. Why new SRP HD Shaders are blurred after press play ?

before play in game window:

after play:

this is not fault of textures (mipmap etc.) - standard LitShader is working ok.

2. I was trying to make SSS shader from scratch - but not working diffuse profile - what is the trick ?

KRGraphics likes this.
  29. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Thanks, do let us know if you end up testing Unity 2018 and if you come across any issues!

Hello! ASE should work fine in Unity 2018, even if you're not using LW or HD pipelines, so it's possible that you might have stumbled upon an issue.

Which specific Unity version are you on?
    Are you getting any warnings or errors in the console?
    Is the issue reproducible in a new project with only ASE imported?

Could you share a simple sample with the issue present via support@amplify.pt, so that we can further debug it on our side? Thanks!

No problem, thank you for getting back to us!

Unfortunately, the only way that we can think of that might mitigate this sliding effect would require depth writting, which is not supported by Surface Shaders, so the POM technique would have to be re-written in order to work with templates that can access depth.

Hey there, it's not currently possible to use Tessellation in the HD Template, however, it's in our plans to add support to it in the near future, so stay tuned!

Hello! Could you share your shader with us via support@amplify.pt, so that we can debug it on our side?

The Vertex Normal shouldn't break the GPU Instancing by itself, so we'll need to take a look at the whole setup in order to figure out what could be causing this.

Thanks! This could be related to your HDRender Pipeline Asset and Diffusion Profile settings, are these using custom or default values?

Regarding your second point, we use the HD Pipeline's internal functions, we simply fill their structures and send them to said functions.

We recommend that you look into how we're filling the SurfaceData structure, more specifically the 'diffusionProfile' field. This is a uint that contains the identifier for the Diffusion Profile to be used.
    That structure is then used by the 'ConvertSurfaceDataToBSDFData'(...) that will take care of all the rest internally.

You may check the functions that are specific for the SSS calculation in greater detail by going into the Material\SubsurfaceScattering folder of the HD SRP.

30. bitinn

bitinn

@Amplify_Borba email sent, hopefully this can be fixed in userland, otherwise I guess a unity bug report needs to be opened...

31. petersx

petersx

I found the cause of blurred material after press play - this is by texture Streaming Mip Map (in texture inspector) - when is not checked - with ASE shader is ok, but with checked - a standard LIt shader is also ok - interesting ?

hopeful likes this.
  32. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

@Amplify_RnD_Rick I don't see the HD Material Type in 155. or did i missed something? how to use ASE with HDRP?
    Yeah i think 155 HDRP are broken, the HD sample are all gray, and when i open the shadergraph it give me this error
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AmplifyShaderEditor.TemplateMultiPassMasterNode.OnRefreshLinkedPortsComplete () (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Templates/TemplateMultiPassMasterNode.cs:355)
    AmplifyShaderEditor.AmplifyShaderEditorWindow.LoadFromDisk (System.String pathname, .AmplifyShaderFunction shaderFunction) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Menu/AmplifyShaderEditorWindow.cs:3879)
    AmplifyShaderEditor.AmplifyShaderEditorWindow.LoadDroppedObject (Boolean value, UnityEngine.Shader shader, UnityEngine.Material material, .AmplifyShaderFunction shaderFunction) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Menu/AmplifyShaderEditorWindow.cs:2553)
    AmplifyShaderEditor.AmplifyShaderEditorWindow.LoadObject (UnityEngine.Object objToLoad) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Menu/AmplifyShaderEditorWindow.cs:1221)
    AmplifyShaderEditor.AmplifyShaderEditorWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Menu/AmplifyShaderEditorWindow.cs:4098)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:295)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:288)
    UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (Rect onGUIPosition) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:255)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    Unity 2018.2.3f1 HDRP 3.0.0

Additional info, trying to reimport ASE and i'm getting this error

Code (csharp):
    2. Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _GrabTexture_ST (type 1 count 1)
    3. UnityEditor.AssetPreviewUpdater:CreatePreviewForAsset(Object, Object[], String)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  33. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Thanks, we're going to investigate this as soon as possible!

Thank you for letting us know, seems that this might be related to the Game View, as the mips are taking action as soon as you press Play.

Hey there, please confirm that you've performed the following steps in order to use the HD SRP with ASE:

1 - Import the HD SRP package through Unity's Package Manager
    2 - Import the latest ASE version
    3 - Extract the 'HDSRPTemplates' package located in the Assets\AmplifyShaderEditor\Plugins\EditorResources\Templates\SRP folder
    4 - ( Optional ) Extract the 'HD SRP Samples' package located in the Assets\AmplifyShaderEditor\Examples folder in order to access HD Samples

Create a new shader, and you should now have both HD Templates available in the Shader Type list.

Note: Don't forget to create a HDRenderPipelineAsset, to set it in the Project Settings > Graphics, and also to create a Diffusion profile and setting it in the HDRenderPipelineAsset by selecting it and using Unity's Inspector.

34. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

I did all of them already, and the project that i've used is already using HDRP

35. LegendarySushi

LegendarySushi

Thank you! I was able to get it to work but I have another question now please and thank you~

For mobile I saw you reference looking at the templates and it's nice you have one for particle and UI etc, but what about for actual 3D models and the such? Or, better yet, do you have any reference for what nodes are heavier on processing in the editor than others for mobile so I know which should likely be avoided when making a shader?

Thank you!

36. OP3NGL

OP3NGL

somehow updating to v155 fixes all my refraction problems in singlepass vr, thanks!

37. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

@Amplify_Borba just find out what causing the problem, my HDRP setting Enable Forward Rendering Only was active. this causing the ASEHD shader to breaks

38. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

No problem, I'm glad you've managed to sort it out!

Regarding your question, although we have no reference for which nodes are more or less performance intensive, it usually boils down to the complexity of the shader itself and the shader features being used.

For mobile assets, it would be ideal to create a custom shader type via our Shader Templates, which would be built according to your shader pipeline requirements, using only the required shader features. Do note that this feature requires some shader knowledge, but it will provide a considerable performance difference from the Standard Shaders since you can develop high performance shaders that are stripped down to the bare essentials.

You may also consider using Surface Shaders with Custom Lighting for mobile, which should perform rather well, depending of course on the shader's complexity.

We also provide some optimization settings such as the precision used for calculations, using lower types offers an added performance boost in exchange for some accuracy, which is great for mobile shaders.

Thank you for getting back to us on this, we're happy to know the issue was fixed by updating to the latest version!

Thank you for letting us know what caused the issue, I've just passed this information along to the developer and we'll investigate it as soon as possible!

39. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

I'm having a transparency issue on my Rim-Light Glass shader...

On my Mac in the editor I see lovely glass with edge highlight, derived from the rim light sample:

Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 10.30.17 PM.png

Here are my shader's transparency settings which were achieved by trial/error...:

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 7.45.18 AM.png

In the final environment (an MMO) I see a nearly opaque glass:

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 7.52.17 AM.png

Uploading a different glass material created with Standard shader set to "Fade" works in the environment
    (I thought "Fade" is for hair, and "Transparent" is for glass, but this is clearly working):

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 7.36.29 AM.png

What settings should I try on my Rim-Light Glass shader to get the transparency to behave like "Fade"?

40. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

It seems like an unexpected behavior, does it show without transparency in the build only or also in the game view before and after setting play?

Could you share a simple sample with the issue present so that we can debug it on our side, as we're not quite sure of what can be causing this? Thanks!

41. LegendarySushi

LegendarySushi

I appreciate the information but I'm at a bit of a loss on how to proceed with Shader Templates which I really want to learn. There is only Frag Color/Local Vertex and I'm not certain how to use Dependencies/SubShaderTags if I need to. Are there any tutorials? I couldn't find any online or on your youtube.

By "some shader knowledge" do you mean coding wise? I've created a decent amount of shaders in shader forge/shader graph but I've never seen a two plug master node before so I'm uncertain how to approach it without any tutorials helping to explain it. Thank you for any insight!

42. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Where can I find the needed diffusion profile?

43. petersx

petersx

This is a default sss profile - just set id - 0,1 etc.

44. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I just installed 2018.2 and it broke alloy... so I need to test it.

45. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey, guys. So I have updated to Unity 2018.2 and also ASE and right now I can access my shaders but I can't open the shader graph... I haven't enabled the pipelines and I want to migrate my scenes carefully. Has anyone run into this issue?

46. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

No problem! I'd advise to follow our Shader Template tutorials that is in the wiki page shared in the last reply, where we walk you through analyzing a single pass template's code and creating a multi pass template.

You can also check the included template samples in the Assets\AmplifyShaderEditor\Examples\Official\TemplateExamples folder, which provide several different effects achieved through different templates.

By shader knowledge I did mean code wise, since to create your own templates you need to be comfortable with shader code, so that you understand where you can and should add the ASE tags, which allow our editor to know that the shader needs to be analysed as a Template.

Any feedback regarding our samples and documentation is welcome as it will help us improve upon what we currently offer, so please let us know if you have any further questions, thanks!

Hey there, could you provide more information regarding the issues you've come across after updating?
    Are you unable to open the editor canvas?

Also, don't forget to back up your shaders before opening them in a new ASE version!

47. Utopien

Utopien

Greetings i just both your asset witch look great by the way but it seem to have no ramp fonction what i need to is to cut of betewen two texture base on uv coordonate but not with masking texture but with some sort of ramp ? that make sence ?

for exemple a wet pant so i want to in botom half on pant us wet texture a lot of specular .

and on top half of the pant to put a dry texture no specular .

but i want to use ramp because it wont be always the half =50% it could be 40% or any thing else

thanks for any help ! .

48. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, thank you for your support!

I believe that the node you're looking for is the Lerp node, which will blend between two values according to a third one.

We also provide a sample that will likely prove useful to the effect you want to achieve, which is the PositionCutoff, that can be found in the Assets\AmplifyShaderEditor\Examples\Official\PositionCutoff folder.

Please let me know if this helps, I'll be happy to elaborate if necessary, thanks!

Utopien likes this.
  49. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Basically, I have no canvas to open. :-(

EDIT: Fixed... had to delete an older asset to get it to work. And now I can keep playing.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  50. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Do you have the option available through the Window menu?

What happens when you double-click on an ASE shader?

I suspect it might be related to importing it to your current project, in case it had any sort of errors present that might've cause ASE to import incorrectly. Did you try to do a "Reimport All" by right clicking in a project folder and choosing that option?