Search Unity

[Best Tool Asset Store Award] Amplify Shader Editor - Node-based Shader Creation Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Sep 13, 2016.

1. cajphrase

cajphrase

Hi, I'm hoping someone can clarify something for me. I'm using HDRP 14.0.8 in Unity 2022.3, and when creating new Amplify shaders I can't name any color by the property name "Emission Color". Doing so results in the following message:
    Property name '_EmissionColor' is already in use. Reverting to last valid name '_Color0' 

Looking at the template for the HDRP Lit & Unlit templates I can see the issue - there is already a hidden property named "_EmissionColor" on Line 55:
    [HideInInspector] _EmissionColor("Color", Color) = (1, 1, 1)

Given this is marked HideInInspector in the template I can't use it myself. The obvious workaround is to use a different name for my version of the property, which is what I am currently doing. But I just really want to use that name
    Is there a reason why this property exists in the template?

2. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

Please keep it to one forum discord or Unity in future

Triplanar Mapping is a perhaps a bit heavy for what you're asking and i would suspect you can use something cheaper.
    also, any procedural noise is a bit heavy with variants. i will reach out to you in discord for a more detail discussion.

Cheers

3. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Is there a way to recalculate vertex tangents using the "local vertex tangents input"? I can't find any information on this input. I would appreciate any information on how it works.

vertex tang.jpg

I tried adding vertex tangent node in but the tangents stay stuck and don't follow the light direction, they also seem to be lacking something so I'm guessing there's more to it? I'm using custom local vertex normals but I don't want that to be the driving force behind the vertex tangents. I just saw this exists and was wondering.

4. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

a good case use is with terrain shaders.
    Note local vertex tangent input is a vect4 = tangentOS

for your study, in terrain we can make like this.
    http://paste.amplify.pt/view/raw/00f15d2d

upload_2024-1-8_9-6-43.png

florianalexandru05 likes this.
  5. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks for the explanation, that's interesting. It's not really what I expected but I might have some use for it. I think I could use it to fix backface tangents.

6. DabittoLucky

DabittoLucky

Will Amplify Shader Editor support Apple Vision Pro for rendering in the Shared Space? Been checking out some info and it seems like all handwritten shaders will not be supported (wtf?). Apparently Shader Graph shaders will work right out of the box after an automatic conversion. Couldn't find any info about Amplify though.

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2023/10088/

7. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

the vid saying it does not support handwritten shaders?
    He says it supports Unity lit/unlit/complex Lit
    however, all unity shaders are technically handwritten

why would they not support a handwritten shader that uses all the same tags and properties needed?

A shader made with amplify can be made to add any define or tag needed however i do not know any details what they are doing under the hood in apple.

if it supports the unity shader why would it not work?
    amplify has all the same tags as unity Lit and others, they do support so more info would be needed why they say custom shaders will not be supported.

8. DabittoLucky

DabittoLucky

Do you know if anyone on the Amplify team will be looking into this? Seems like their statement in the video will scare anyone from using Amplify for an Apple Vision Pro project.

9. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

Please reach out to me in discord for a chat
    yes, we will have a closer look

10. BenMora

BenMora

Hello there!
    I am stumped with a problem. How do I do custom reflections? I have the exact reflections I want in some nodes within my amplify graph, and can plug it into the albedo or emission and see them, but then the actual Unity reflections get put on top (so really my custom reflection is just the color of the surface, not actually a reflection.) But if I use Custom Lighting then there doesn't seem to be any way to achieve the roughness effect of a standard surface.

11. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

Hello best you perhaps reach out in the discord for continued discussion.
    this is not an easy topic to cover in just a few forum comments.

12. BenMora

BenMora

Can you give me a link? The links on your website result in "unable to accept invite."

Stringwizard5 likes this.
  13. Stringwizard5

Stringwizard5

I’m currently trying to check out some of the latest amplify shader pack samples in the URP but every single sample is showing up pink… it’s a little frustrating. Can’t ask for help on discord because everytime I try to accept invite I get an error and can’t join server… is amplify even working/being supported anymore?

14. Stringwizard5

Stringwizard5

same exact problem here… it’s got me wondering if they are even still supporting amplify anymore… the only option for support is a discord server that nobody can join? I’m half tempted to contact Unity about my purchase and switch over to shaderforge or something :/

15. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

Official Discord
    Join us here!

16. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

We are live every day.
    no idea why discord had an issue today but just tested and its fully working.
    almost 7,000 members in the discord now

17. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Hi, what is the way to create 'Fullscreen' shaders like in Shader Graph for URP?
    I don't see a template in Amplify for URP like Shader Graph has.

For post-processing.

upload_2024-1-21_8-32-0.png

18. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

Sadly, it is not added yet to ASE
    it's still tracking as an action in Git for this year.

19. MirzaBeig

MirzaBeig

Is there an ETA? Feels like a very important component missing, and I prefer Amplify over SG :)

20. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

We have a number of optimizations to get in place just before adding this but should come faster as we will be adding more staff very soon to help get over the high wave of workflow that came around the end of last year.

Currently this is tracking in milestone v1.9.4.1 but may get pulled up sooner due to the large demand.
    some of the millstones are large but will go fast as they are not so difficult.

see
    Issues · AmplifyCreations/AmplifyShaderEditor-Feedback (github.com)

MirzaBeig likes this.
  21. Stringwizard5

Stringwizard5

Still not working for me... it still says unable to join when I click join after getting the invite... I also still cannot use 99% of the shaders that come with the sample pack... Id like to dive in and play around with things, but the support is abysmal here... I can't get to your discord server, you don't offer any solutions for that problem... you don't respond to support emails sent on your website last week... at this point, I'm about to give up and leave a one star review... maybe this software is working for everyone else... but there is obviously a problem somewhere... and I am obviously not the only person encountering these issues... and you guys don't seem to be interested in helping us figure out how to navigate around these issues.

Only reason I even wanted to join the discord was to find help on why none of the amplify resources are working.

see attached photos... When I go into a folder in the amplify shader pack samples... the shader is always pink and I get the following error messages and warnings in the console when I open a specific samples folder... (error in picture 2)
    Picture 2.png

Picture 1.png
    and yes, I am using URP, I have it properly configured, I am using latest version of ASE, I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times, I have removed and reimported URP many times, nothing works...

Then, when I try to join your discord server, I get this (picture 3)
    Picture 3.png

and when I click join, I get this... (picture 4)
    Picture 4.png

Nobody responds to the support tickets submitted through your website... I submitted one several days ago with no acknowledgement whatsoever... and you're charging $80+ for this? That is unbelievable. I get that everything works for you. That's great. I'm happy the discord server is working for you... but clearly, it's not working for everyone... saying "it works for me" is not a solution... so far I have not received anything but a headache for $80 and I'm about to leave a one star review and let everyone know why. I'm super disappointed in how poor the support for this product is.

22. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

Hello sorry you are finding so much trouble.
    I also have not received any emails for this also, so something yes is not going well.
    as far as i know you are the only one reporting now any issues for connecting to discord and or email issues.

Can you please advise what unity version your having issues in as shown in your post?

23. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

i checked discord and found yes, your account has been ban from the servers for some reason i do not know.
    Please can you direct message me in unity so i can get you sorted out and or perhaps find out why you were in a ban Log. has your account been hacked before perhaps? you must have been a member in the servers before at some point to even receive a ban.

24. Stringwizard5

Stringwizard5

Happy to say with the help of David, I was able to get everything working beautifully. Also learned a few things in the process and got some good information tidbits. Now I can finally get under the hood and start working with this tool!

Amplify_David likes this.
  25. TheGamery

TheGamery

Is there a way via API to compile a shader with ASE?

I have a large project with a lot of amplify shaders and when upgrading the unity editor (hdrp version) I have to manually resave each of them, I'd like to automate this with an editor script.

zackblack likes this.
  26. zackblack

zackblack

I am just discovering this as well. For several days I thought I had a Unity bug because my lightmaps were not working in builds (only Editor). After a LOT of trial-and-error I traced it down to being an issue with my ASE shaders. Had to go through entire project one by one and recompile them all.

27. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

@TheGamery @zackblack

you can find an extra tool in amplify under the window tab / Amplify Shader Editor called Batch Save and Pack
    this may help you search and batch compile thru every shader made with amplify in your project with just a few clicks.

--- Open and make an Asset preset
    --- Select browse and select the folder.
    --- Press Fetch and i will build a list of every shader
    --- Press update all and sit back and have coffee break

upload_2024-1-31_16-11-24.png

28. BenMora

BenMora

Still unable to join when I click that link.
    upload_2024-2-2_13-13-40.png

29. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

Please feel free to contact me i private unity chat so i can get your discord ID
    it's likely you must be in some Ban list if you received that.

30. Dimlos

Dimlos

Hello, I took a long break on a project and came back, so I was looking at random stuff to remmember what was there.
    I remmember at some point shaders breaking after an update of amplify shader, it would automatically change the shader model and break. I somehow managed to fix the problems in these shaders.
    Now I see that the option to automatically change the model is still on, so that means that it was not the problem.

Which leads me to my problem, I encountered kind of the same thing:
    if I change something like the name of a texture node, it breaks and changes the look of the material completly.

I have a few shaders that I made and I'm a bit scared to open them and take the risk to break them by doing anything.
    Here is what happens when I rename a texture node and compile on a particle system:
    Unity_YXWXymoaqo.gif

31. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

If you change a name on a node, it is also changing the property name also so yes, any connected texture to it would get dropped off by design.

if you wish to change the name and not change the property name you can uncheck the lock gizmo and have a different name from the property name. for particle system you may wish to use the property name _MainTex

Cheers
    for any detail chat feel free to reach out to me or the community in the Amplify Discord.

32. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

33. eduardobonatelli

eduardobonatelli

I'm considering purchasing this asset for a project.
    Could I use it to convert a HDRP/standart shader to URP and vice and versa?

34. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

Correct a shader made with amplify editor can be made in standard, HDRP or URP
    When you purchase amplify editor, you also get a free download for the amplify shader pack useful for examples and learning.

35. McWild

McWild

Coming from Unreal and this is the best eighty bucks I've ever spent.

Is there an equivalent to Unreal's Sphere Mask that works in 3D space? Unreal lets you plug UV coordinates into the position OR XYZ coordinates (for setting the center of the sphere mask at the camera position, etc). Is there a way to do this in ASE?

36. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

Thank you for your kind words.
    In ASE we do have a function called Sphere Mask
    This is made inside a amplify shader function so you can double click on it and open to see the graph / math under the hood.

http://paste.amplify.pt/view/raw/f0bc010c
    upload_2024-2-20_7-32-5.png

Some other useful ways to deal with mask can be found by modifying nodes such as use world space camera Pos dot world position for camera's game object position and distance between the cam and the current Pos.

Feel free to stop in the discord community for a more detail chat.

Cheers
    David

37. Colin_MacLeod

Colin_MacLeod

Hi everyone! I am trying to create a "screen" or "blinds" sprite transition to fade-in sprites with diagonal transparent lines that grow until the sprite is shown.

The Shader Pack "World Position Slice" sample got me very nearly there. Here's what I have:
    upload_2024-2-22_14-10-31.png

(I would share the image of the nodes - but unsure whether that violates your copyright.)

The last step - how can I rotate the blinds by 45 degrees, so be more like this:
    upload_2024-2-22_14-13-2.png

This early demo video shows the kind of effect as the sprites come in:

Do you have any pointers how I might achieve this?

Attached Files:

38. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

see Rotator Node
    for the setup you're working from (World Position Slice) it uses world position so you can use append and split nodes before and after like this.
    upload_2024-2-22_16-1-12.png

Colin_MacLeod likes this.
  39. Colin_MacLeod

Colin_MacLeod

Wow! That was incredibly generous of you to mock it up like that. Thank you!

Unfortunately, I'm not quite seeing the effect yet. Increasing the value of Rotation appears to only increase the number of lines.

Here's the shader graph in full:
    upload_2024-2-22_15-27-39.png

Did I miss something?

40. Colin_MacLeod

Colin_MacLeod

Ah - feeding X/Y into the rotator works. TYVM!

Amplify_David likes this.
  41. Colin_MacLeod

Colin_MacLeod

Here's the changed graph, in case it ever helps someone else:

upload_2024-2-22_15-37-53.png

42. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

I need a very very simple water foam example...?
    I just want to use a transparent texture as foam in the corners of the objects.Like the below image:

photo_2024-02-24_21-20-52.jpg

43. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

For examples I suggest have a look in the amplify shader pack.
    This extra pack is free to download if you already own copy of amplify editor.

44. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Creating my shaders has been going great but one other thing I'm struggling with right now is GPU instancing in built-in rp. I made extensive tests of all types but it seems they are unreliable since it works differently for someone else testing the same thing as if instancing is broken for me and only works with terrain trees. For the other person not having it on makes performance worse while for me it's the reverse. I'm very confused about this. Could it be there's something wrong with my hardware or my Unity version? Having GPU instancing on makes performance worse and I have a slightly better video card than the other guy. I tried other shaders and the results are the same, I think the issue might not be coming from Amplify.

If anyone is experiencing a similar issue please let me know.
    Edit: It was a video card issue, updating drivers fixed it.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
  45. Polygonmaker

Polygonmaker

Hi,
    I tried this long ago, and it never worked:
    I want to extract the W channel from UVW, but the Texture Coordinates node only gives me U and V.

Is there a way of doing that?

46. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

In settings on Texture Coordinates node you can set it as float 3 ;)

Polygonmaker and hopeful like this.
  47. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

Hello
    The shaders made with ASM (URP) have problems with the terrain's billboard system. I tried a simple shader with an albedo texture in ASM for URP but billboards are invisible

But everything works well in the built-in pipeline and ASM shaders

This problem does not exist in unity's own shaders for URP. Also shader graph shaders works well

1.jpg
    2.jpg

Latest ASM update
    Tested in the unity 2021 and 2023

48. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

Hi there,

Are there any plans to add motion vector support in Amplify Shader Editor for URP? URP supports this since v16.

All the best.

49. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

hello sorry for the delayed reply
    can you contact me in private to share a small repo then i can see more detail to what settings and layers your working in

UnityLighting likes this.
  50. Amplify_David

Amplify_David

yes, have this action to add it tracking in Git item #35
    Add custom motion vector output · Issue #35 · AmplifyCreations/AmplifyShaderEditor-Feedback (github.com)

you can track the progress in this git action and read notes collected as we lead up to this.
    other actions / millstones in front of this have some of the backend work to update other nodes to bring in this with a smooth transition.

SunnySunshine likes this.