Search Unity

[Best Tool Asset Store Award] Amplify Shader Editor - Node-based Shader Creation Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hi,

Thanks for the details; terrain support seems to be working based on our tests.

-Is this an older shader you're trying to update? If so, you'd need to open each shader and save to update it to the this specific URP version.
    -How are you using it on your end? A shader sample would be really helpful.

Thanks!

2. DanijelM

DanijelM

I haven't actually gotten to the point of doing any changes on the shader. This is the SRP Universal Terrain First Pass as-is unpacked from the Examples\URP Samples package. Haven't even created a material from it, but just used the supplied SRP Universal Terrain First Pass material in the Examples\URP\Terrain folder. I just set the my new terrain to use that material. Not much else I could do exactly.

Resaving the Add Pass, Base Pass and First Pass results in the same compile errors.

3. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

This is very odd, I can't seem to replicate the issue on our end using the same versions. Do you see any other errors or warnings on the console?

Can you replicate this on a new empty project using only ASE and our samples? If so, we'd be happy to test that project via support@amplify.pt.

What's your target platform and current OS?

4. DanijelM

DanijelM

Target platform: PC, Mac & Linux standalone

I've created a new project, plugged in only ASE, freshly downloaded from your website and unpacked the URP package from the Examples folder.

Then I created a new scene, added a terrain, set the material to what I mentioned before and proceeded to add a new layer. Immediately as I placed the base layer, the error appeared. I'll pack up the project entirely and upload it. I'll send the download link to the support email you provided.

Thanks!

5. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thank you for taking the time to prepare the package, we will test it right away.

6. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Could you turn on the Use Sampling Macros over your Output node properties, and re-save all terrain shaders? That should resolve the issue when adding the mask map on the Terrain Layer.

upload_2021-2-15_16-6-0.png

7. DanijelM

DanijelM

That was it! No errors anymore. Everything works.

Thank you very much!

hopeful and Amplify_Ricardo like this.
  8. whidzee

whidzee

I am looking to create an ocean shader. I've seen a tutorial that uses amplify shader and it seems pretty good. However I am wanting to have on shore waves all around my islands.

I am wondering if the amplify shader editor has the ability to scroll a noise texture along a gradient. I am thinking I can give it an image of the area around my islands that I want waves being a gradient out from the island shape fading from white to black as it gets further away from the island.

I imagine I'd be able to then later these waves in top of the regular ocean waves to give me the on shore waves I am hoping for.

Is this possible?

9. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there,

Technically possible, however that's not something you're going to have out of the box; the calculations involved need to be constructed on your end.

Perhaps this ASE tutorial can give you a good idea of what you need.

Also handy for basic stuff is the Depth Fade node: http://wiki.amplify.pt/index.php?title=Unity_Products:Amplify_Shader_Editor/Depth_Fade

10. whidzee

whidzee

Yeah. This is the ocean tutorial I have found. What do you mean the calculations would need to be done on my end?

I figure, if i can get a texture scrolling in the direction of a gradient then I think i'd be able to work out how to get this to work as to me this is the key to the puzzle

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  11. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

It's a great channel for tutorials, definitely give it a follow!

I meant that the editor gives you the basic operations that you can work with, the effect itself has to be built from scratch. e.g. The depth fade node is useful but by itself it wont do much, it's up to you to decide which operation you want to use as demonstrated in video for example.

12. Crsurtual

Crsurtual

Hello.
    I am new to ASE.
    How can I customize the inspector to look like this image? I would appreciate it if someone could tell me.
    Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

13. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

14. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Very noob question but I couldn't find anything on refraction in URP. I was trying to convert my standard water to URP.

15. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Be sure that you're on the latest version, otherwise it wont show up.

upload_2021-2-22_14-49-38.png

florianalexandru05 likes this.
  16. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Hello.

Probably a very nooby question but all ASE materials including the example ones that come with the package show pink in HDRP. The HDRP Version is 7.3.1 and the ASE Version is 1.8.8.000 (current). Also is there a setting I have to change to make ASE shaders work with raytracing?

17. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Not at all; we created our samples with a more recent HDRP version, you will have to open them and save to update them to your HDRP version.

As for raytracing, it's not fully supported yet; best to wait for an official announcement.

Cactus_on_Fire likes this.
  18. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Thanks for the help with HDRP conversion, worked like a charm.
    Another question I got is about the parallax occlusion mapping. The parallax HDRP materials don't skew with non-uniform scaled meshes but with ASE if I use a quad with a non-uniform scale it warps the texture depending on where you look. Is there a fix for that?

19. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Good to hear it.

Not sure we've seen that, can you show us an example and how you use it in ASE?

Thanks!

20. mattmrtnvllt

mattmrtnvllt

Hey guys,

So I have this issue with my shaders since I dowloaded Amplify Shader in my HDRP project. It worked when it was a built-in render pipeline but when we went HDRP the shader went all pink. So I decided to switch the shader's type to HD/Lit and now I can see my shader working in the preview window but when I use it on a game object it gets grey and it doesn't work. Do you guys have any idea why?

Thank you!

21. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there!

You're correct on your first step, HDRP needs HDRP shaders, any other shader types will render pink. You have to manually change it on any previously created Surface Shaders.

As of the grey rendering, we'll need to see what you have set up in order to best assist you.

22. mattmrtnvllt

mattmrtnvllt

Thank you very much for your quick answer; I'm not sure what you exactly want to see but here are 2 screenshots from the scene & the output node in Amplify. As you can see the game object is grey but the shader "Burn02" on it is working on the preview. If you need to see anything else let me know :)

Thanks

23. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Here's how the parallax error looks. The quads scale is (X=4, Y=1, Z=1)

And here is the shader setup:

upload_2021-3-1_17-14-43.png

24. KenanTheFab

KenanTheFab

Is it possible to create "shells"? I've been searching all around but couldn't find much information. I am attempting to do what many fur shaders do, duplicate the mesh with varying amounts of alpha between them, creating the illusion of detailed fur.
    Sort of like this: (Shader I'm using atm, want to create a custom one for more control and to hopefully fix the lack of direction, causing the hairs to spring straight up.)
    upload_2021-3-2_10-47-37.png

25. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

We need the actual shader so we can determine why it's not rendering as expected. We're available privately via support@amplify.pt if you cannot post it here.

You seem to be missing DDX/DDY, as exemplified here: http://wiki.amplify.pt/index.php?ti...lify_Shader_Editor/Parallax_Occlusion_Mapping

Do send over a small sample(shader, textures and material) if that does not solve the issue on your end.

You're going to need a script to create the actual shells. It could be possible to create something with a Geometry Shader but that's not something we currently support.

26. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

I'll try the DDX DDY trick first but I don't have those options in the HD/Lit version of ASE. Are they not implemented for HDRP yet?

27. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Which options, this?

upload_2021-3-2_12-28-3.png

28. mattmrtnvllt

mattmrtnvllt

Hi,

Thanks for help, here is the shader we use.

29. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

Any example for coat material? I want it for car body
    Built-in pipeline

30. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Please send the shader file, it will be faster to test when we come back to forum messages; textures would also be welcome.

Yes, there's a built-in sample called "DoubleLayerCustomSurface".

UnityLighting likes this.
  31. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

I plugged the DDX and DDY but it's still warping the same way. It's probably the curvature of the parallax occlusion node I need to modify but I can't seem to find it.

upload_2021-3-2_18-42-29.png

32. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there, Toggle the Silhouette. Please do share a full sample if you're unable to sort it out, we'd be happy to run a few tests.

upload_2021-3-2_16-11-4.png

33. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Sent an email of the warped parallax shader, material and textures to support@amplify.pt

34. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Made a 3D volumetric version of the energy ball from half life2

35. KenanTheFab

KenanTheFab

That's unfortunate. I was hoping to do a workaround of sorts by abusing the vertex offset node and/or the outline bit. Is there any chance and/or timeline for geometry shaders in this plugin?

36. mattmrtnvllt

mattmrtnvllt

Hi,

here is the file, thanks for helping.

Attached Files:

37. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

This could be related to type of value HDRP emission requires, try this:
    upload_2021-3-3_10-30-25.png

38. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Sadly, when it comes to generating actual geometry it's a bit more limited. In any case, using a script it pretty standard, you should be able to find examples online.

No ETA for geometry shaders at the moment.

39. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

That's really impressive, you nailed it. We'll check your email as soon as possible.

40. iamarugin

iamarugin

Hi. Saving amplify shader on Unity 2020.2 and HDRP 10.3 takes ages in my project because of shader compilation. Is there any why to enable async shader compilation (how Shader Graph does it) or save the graph without shader compilation and then trigger it later?

41. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

For now you'll have to disable Async Shader Compilation; I should point out that this also happens with manually coded shaders, it's not specific to ASE.

As for how it's done with Shader Graph, we're looking into a possible solution.

I should also point out that this is editor-only.

42. iamarugin

iamarugin

Thanks for answer! I have two more questions:
    - if I create Texture Object node, set it to Property and enable Autoregister, TEXTURE2D and SAMPLER will be added to the shader. I use sampler states, so the option to disable SAMPLER creation on Autoregister would be great.
    - Is there any reason, why we could not pass Texture Object into custom function (I mean via Input Node) or this feature is planned?

43. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there, can you show us how you're using it? I'd be happy to ping the devs for details.

Regarding the second one, you're referring to a custom expression? (Functions are Shader Functions in ASE, somewhat like sub-graphs)

I definitely recommend checking our Discord server for quick questions: https://discord.gg/zVdqVSp

44. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Quick note from the dev; should work if you set the Input type to Sampler2D. Do share additional details or an example, we'd be happy to help.

45. iamarugin

iamarugin

Ok, thanks, that solved all the problems. The name Sampler2D is a bit confusing after Shader Graph (where it called just Texture2D).
    Overall, ASE is much much better in terms of UI and workflow than SG, but it takes some time to change habits.

Amplify_Ricardo likes this.
  46. _slash_

_slash_

Hi, I can't seem to find any template for the stacklit shader of HDRP?

Thanks

47. Sholms

Sholms

hello, I was trying to recreate a Normal Decal for edges with amplify, I don't found any way to do it, but I found a shader that recreates the effect that I want, is there a way to recreate the shader with amplify? SharedScreenshot.jpg

Attached Files:

48. javilillofernandez

javilillofernandez

Hello, I have Unity 2020.2.6f1 HDRP and when create a surface shader is was in pink, only can create HD/Lit shader.

49. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Greetings,

Apologies for the inconvenience but we currently do not provide a Stacklit template.

Hello!

Tricky to set up on the legacy renderer but it's totally possible in HDRP with our Decal template.

You could try writing to the buffer but I would not recommend exploring this option if you're not familiar with shader development in general as we cannot provide that type of development assistance.

Hi,

That's the expected behavior. Surface Shaders only work with the Built-in renderer, Universal with the Universal renderer, and HDRP with the High Definition renderer. On the left tab, change the shader type to match your current project renderer, in your case HDRP Lit and save.
    Learn more here:

_slash_ likes this.
  50. footnotesforthefuture

footnotesforthefuture

Hi, great asset!

Is there any way to sample a texture with colour interpolation between pixels?

I'm trying to sample a gradient using radial UV: gradient-sample.JPG

The gradient in the sample looks smooth, but when zoomed in is not. I think it's because when sampling the gradient we can only pick colours that are actually present in the pixels?

An example from in scene (after other processing - so I hope I understand the problem correctly!)

chopppy-gradient.JPG

I'm looking for a way to stop this being so blocky.

Note: I don't want to use a unity gradient because I want it to be customisable in the inspector, and I want more than 8 keys.