Search Unity

[Best Tool Asset Store Award] Amplify Shader Editor - Node-based Shader Creation Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Sep 13, 2016.

1. flybird

flybird

It's hard to create a custom material editor.

2. generalhi

generalhi

I guess I can't wait for news on the bug(((.

3. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Ah yes, the Inverse Lerp was a user request; we regularly use our own Shader Function system to add new content to ASE.

Should be negligible, I'll confirm with the devs.

It can be challenging, especially because there isn't much official documentation out there.

I recommend checking this:
    1. https://catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/rendering/part-9
    2. https://www.alanzucconi.com/2016/11/07/shadergui-custom-material-inspectors-unity-5

Hey there, apologies for the delay, the update is now available. Please update, re-save your shader, and let us know if the problem persists.

http://amplify.pt/download

generalhi and MirzaBeig like this.
  4. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Is there a way to modify the Z-depth using textures like how Impostors can make a quad write a 3D depth into the scene and intersect with other objects and cast proper shadows?

5. overthere

overthere

Hi is it possible to use ASE written shaders for post processing V2 effects without ASE in unity project? Just copying shader and c# code written by tool to another project does run but with issues with expected effect on screen - not shown in scene view, texture scrolls off rather than wrapping. (Context - I've been using ASE to make shaders for group hobby projects, committing just the shader code so I don't inadvertently share ASE itself in source control). Thanks

6. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Possibly, but it's not something we have on the editor side as an option, some work is required.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/writing-to-depth-buffer-with-custom-shader.217814/#post-2724985

Hey there,

Image Effects made with ASE do not need the editor, what seems to be the problem and what files are you copying along? Removing ASE by itself should have no effect whatsoever on your shader, could you me be missing one of our default textures?

Cactus_on_Fire likes this.
  7. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I made this waterfall shader and the mesh still casts shadows despite having it turned off, I only have received shadows on. What am I missing? *EDIT: Nvm I figured it out :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Amplify_Ricardo likes this.
  8. overthere

overthere

I've copied the shader code, the texture file required (not an ASE one) and the c# file generated by the ASE tool for working with post process shaders into a different project that has never had ASE installed. Projects are both on same Unity and post process V2 stack versions
    In the original project the post process shows in scene view and the panned texture covers whole screen and continually loops as expected. In the non ASE project I can assign the post process but it only shows in game view and the texture doesn't cover the whole screen and scrolls off the bottom rather than looping round.
    Thanks

9. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

That is odd, thanks for elaborating. Have you tested taking ASE over for a quick test? Just to be sure, the editor does not touch anything at all, hence why it's quite odd.

I would request that you send us the shader, script, and textures, directly to support@amplify.pt so that we can further examine the problem; a screenshot of it working and not working would also be very helpful.

Thanks!

10. generalhi

generalhi

Thanks, everything works fine!

11. overthere

overthere

When I went to reimport and set up to get your requested examples it is now working! So no idea what's going on there but I can get them into club projects so I'm happy, thanks :)

12. JohnnyFactor

JohnnyFactor

I am targeting powervr on ios so I would like to set precision to 'half', but I heard that unity casts and recasts between 'half' and 'float' during runtime, erasing this optimization. Is this true?

13. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there, what was the context?

14. JohnnyFactor

JohnnyFactor

15. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

How can I make sure I get normals based on worldpsace (like plugging a 0,1,0 vector3 would always make the normals face upwards) with the spherical billboard option? Because no matter what I do, rotating the object changes the normals of the model as well.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  16. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

I would refer to this page, hardware plays a part: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/SL-DataTypesAndPrecision.html

Can you show us your setup?

17. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Attached Files:

18. JohnnyFactor

JohnnyFactor

Thanks for digging that up. It was this bit from the PowerVR dev docs that originally caught my attention, but I think this is a futile effort or at least it's better to focus on something else for now.

"While all mobile architectures are great at half-precision computation, PowerVR is exceptionally good at it, so make sure you use it wherever you can. Using half-precision (FP16) in shaders can result in a significant improvement in performance over high precision (FP32). This is due to the dedicated FP16 Sum of Products (SOP) arithmetic pipeline, which can perform two SOP operations in parallel per cycle, theoretically doubling the throughput of floating point operations. The FP16 SOP pipeline is available on most PowerVR Rogue graphics cores, depending on the exact variant."

19. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

You're setting 0,1,0 in the Local Vertex Normal, you're assigning a new normal in Object Space; having the Billboard active will affect this value in order to be consistent with the vertex adjustment.

"How can I make sure I get normals based on worldpsace"

This is always local/object space, not worldspace, what exactly are you trying to achieve? Do you have a reference of the effect, perhaps a shot?

I suppose we could consider adding an option to the Billboard that would prevent it from adjusting the normal but we'd like to be sure this is what you need.

Thanks!

20. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

I'm defining a rolling cloud shape in worldspace and I use a model with stacked planes with billboards to always face the camera to simulate something like raymarching but as you can see the normals also change depending on the angle you look or the orientation of the object. And it creates these normal changes no matter what I plug there.

RedEarth likes this.
  21. RakNet

RakNet

Amplify version: 1.8.8.000
    Unity version: 2020.1.14f1
    Renderer: Whatever the default is
    Lighting setup: 3 directional lights, no shadows. 1 baked reflection probe.
    Deferred rendering
    Using post-process layer
    Render type is set to opaque, see attached
    upload_2021-1-21_20-2-27.png
    upload_2021-1-21_20-4-54.png

upload_2021-1-21_20-5-18.png

upload_2021-1-21_20-14-39.png

Attached Files:

22. Strut

Strut

Hello everyone. Someone knows how to make the screen position node return the center instead of the lower left corner?

23. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thanks for the additional details, we're going to add a Normal toggle to the Billboard parameters; should resolve the issue. We'll notify you directly when it's available.

Hey there,

Thanks for the additional details.

-Are you using baked lighting? Please show us your actual Lighting Window, screenshot would be great.
    -We can't examine the shader, the ASE metadata has been removed. Is there a specific reason for this?

Please feel free to reach out to us via support@amplify.pt if you prefer.

Hey there, we'll need some additional context.

24. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Amazing! Thank you.

25. Strut

Strut

I am creating a procedural shader that can be rotated and offset to the center of the screen.

Attached Files:

26. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Also is it possible for you to make a version for the Atan2 node that makes its range from [0,1]?

27. Pescu

Pescu

Hello, does someone know how to import function file and use it with the custom expressions?
    I am using the Universal/PBR which dont contain the "Additional directives" on the main node.

28. moyashiking

moyashiking

29. moyashiking

moyashiking

30. Strut

Strut

So no one knows how to solve my problem? I posted the shader code above.

31. TheOtherMonarch

TheOtherMonarch

I was actually using UV Set 4. The frame was titled "UV5 Selection" changing the Frame Title to "UV4 Selection" of course did nothing. At a loss on how to fix this.

32. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

You can create a Shader Function from this node network, but I will pass it on to the devs.

We're actually going to add that option soon but you can achieve the same results by adding your own CGINC and calling it from a custom expression.

What shader type are you using, our own URP PBR? Directives can be found here:

upload_2021-1-25_10-51-5.png

Yes, some of the more recent shader functions do not have a page yet. In any case, you can double click it to see what's being done. It's similar to the Normal Create in shader graph.

Similar, for what purpose?

That node is very specific, it's a legacy node used by one of our Plugins(Amplify Texture) that has since been retired from the store.

Replies can take some time, especially on weekends. For quick questions, I definitely recommend using our Discord server, we have specific channels for ASE discussion.

https://discord.gg/zVdqVSp

You're using the Rotator node, you have to input the center offset value directly in the Anchor input.

What are you referring to by "frame"? Did you re-save your shader?

moyashiking likes this.
  33. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Just saw that your shader was made with 1.8.7, update, change the value, re-save your shader.

http://amplify.pt/download/

EDIT 1
    Removed my previous answer, this node is till using UV5.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    TheOtherMonarch likes this.
  34. Strut

Strut

Manipulations with center offset in Anchor input do not give the desired result.

35. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Improved my volumetric explosion shader. No scripts, no extra libraries, no post processing tricks, correct depth sorting with solid objects and fully modifiable flame / opacity. Also pretty lightweight on the GPU.

36. TheOtherMonarch

TheOtherMonarch

Thank that fixed that.

But I cannot seem to update beyond v1.8.7 rev 12. Tried delating my AmplifyShaderEditor folder and redownloading it still keeps installing v1.8.7 rev 12.

Edit: Downloading directly from your website fixed it.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  37. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

@Amplify_Ricardo

Hiya, hows things? I have a few questions:
    • [edited] - emailed :)
    • I need to access light attenuation in URP, it seems missing. I would be using height and normals to add extra self shadowing, and that's not possible in URP...
    • I need to access the final pixel colour (this is important) so I can add dither / in-shader grading etc at a shader not post level.. so it has to be the pixel after lighting... (see https://forum.unity.com/threads/ton...rocessing-for-oculus-quest-or-mobile.1043182/) - also in URP
    • Where can I find bent normal support in URP? I have been looking... I have great bent normal and AO baking capabilities here.

Please let me know how I can achieve these in amplify as they're the only things preventing me using ASE instead of custom code.
    <3

38. Liderangel

Liderangel

Hi again, are there plans to support the creation of Post-Process shaders like built-in but for HDRP?

39. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Anyone have any examples of a hair shader with Anisotropic Specular Highlights? Right now I'm using Transparent Transparent with Cull Mode: Off, but I'm getting a see-thru effect. Anything else and either I get a cut out effect on the transparency, or the hair is not "full". Any tips or examples would be greatly appreciated!

transparent-transparent.jpg

40. moyashiking

moyashiking

Check "Unpack Normal Map" in the "Texture Sample" node and save it.
    When I open the editor again, the "Unpack Normal Map" is unchecked.
    Am I using it incorrectly?

save & close
    before.png
    open editor
    after.png

41. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

I think you need to change the "Default Texture" to Bump. Then check the Unpack Normal.

42. moyashiking

moyashiking

thank you for the advice!
    I tried it, but the condition didn't change.

After trying a little more, I've noticed.
    • If I open the Shader in an editor, the reported symptom does not occur.
    • When I open Material in an editor, the reported symptom occurs.
    • With the Material open in the editor, manipulate the values from the Inspector (for example, Tilling, Render Queue). This will immediately uncheck "Unpack Normal Maps" in the "Texture Sample" node.

43. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

I meant the center of the texture, you still have to account for position.

You might have experienced a Unity Package Manager cache problem there, deleting those files could help according to other users. (unrelated to our editor)

Hey there!

You'll need to use the SRP shader function for Additional Lights when doing Custom Lighting stuff with URP; this is demonstrated in the video bellow, we're using LWRP there but it's the same for URP. (sample in the description)

Try using a custom expression for the final color; check our URP terrain sample.

Bent Normals on URP, not sure if this is possible at the moment; has Unity put something out for URP with this?

Yes, for a future ASE version; we have it partially working but it's not something we can publish at the moment.

Maybe a Masked(cutout) alpha multiplied by a simple dither could do the trick; transparent surfaces are problematic. Is that a single mesh?

What's happening there is that you're adding textures that are not Normals, the Sampler Node will automatically change to adapt. This is not a problem if the the shader is closed, but if it's open it will change; try it, add a regular texture and then a normal.

Don't place textures that are not Normals on a Texture Sample node with Unpack checked, that's just going to give you incorrect results. What's your goal here?

Liderangel likes this.
  44. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Great stuff!

45. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Heya! Thanks for the video (fun vid!), but custom lighting isn't available on URP from what I can see. That final slot doesn't exist in URP, perhaps I missed a step!

Did you have a place I can put in code for editing the final pixel colour after lighting etc has been done? I must have missed it, I'm tired, or maybe not seeing it show up in URP version.

46. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there!

You might have missed a bit; you'd use the Unlit URP shader type for custom lighting. Along with the SRP Additional Light node as demonstrated, which is required for URP.

Regarding the Bent Normal, you'd probably need to create your own URP Template(which you can base off our own) in order to modify how the Normal is used. I'll consult with the devs for additional details in the morning.

My mistake there, the URP terrain version does not use the Custom Expression as does the built-in terrain shader. Let me get back to you on that.

47. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I see.. I think we crossed wires! I want to use Unity's lighting but alter their attenuation so that I don't have to rebuild their lighting, but modify their attenuation with my own from bent normal/ao + my own stuff.

As for final pixel, that's something really, really great for mobile and VR. It means we can tone map, dither and grade in model (shader) space instead of post process. As you can imagine... .very big deal for VR :D

Thanks for following up, I guess my use cases are nontypical.

48. moyashiking

moyashiking

@Amplify_Ricardo
    Instead of creating a dedicated texture, I just wanted to reuse the texture.
    Thanks for the advice!

49. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Ah, in that case it's a bit beyond our editor, you really need to dig into their code. Perhaps our URP Lit template could help you getting started in implementing your own, we wouldn't recommend it lightly.

upload_2021-1-28_11-32-11.png

Regarding the finalcolor;

Turns out our template does not allow for that; the function that does the final lighting calculations is called after all the input code is generated; meaning that we don't have access to that final value on our current inputs.

The only way around this is to, once more, edit the actual template file. e.g. create a new input port for code declared after the final lighting calculations; provided that you know which data to access, you'd then use a custom expression for whatever manipulation you may require. (based on dev feedback, this has not been tested)

We're talking about the Texture Sampler auto-adjustment, what's the context of what you're referring to?

There are ways to re-use a texture, what's your goal? Please elaborate.

hippocoder likes this.
  50. eggsamurai

eggsamurai

how to recompile all shader in one click?