Search Unity

[Best Tool Asset Store Award] Amplify Shader Editor - Node-based Shader Creation Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Sep 13, 2016.

1. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

bug: amplify made URP shaders don't have the open amplify button
    upload_2020-9-3_23-31-42.png

2. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

I understand what you mean but that functionality is there as a convenience, it's the "common outline" you'd see on a Surface Shader. That said, there are ways to improved it; our Outline Node offers additional controls but you are responsible for adding your own functionalities.

You might enjoy this stream, particularly when it comes to outline size control:

As for the shader, you can create your own Vert/Frag templates using our Template System; looks complex but I definitely recommend giving it a read, and be sure to check our included templates for reference.
    http://wiki.amplify.pt/index.php?title=Unity_Products:Amplify_Shader_Editor/Templates

laurentlavigne likes this.
  3. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Not a bug, we are unable to use our own Custom Material Inspector at the moment, same for HDRP; we're using what Unity provides, this is subject to change, when possible.

4. OscarLouw

OscarLouw

I'm back :)
    Perhaps it's a long shot but I'm fighting with a problem and was wondering if any of you had solved this before.

I'm using a screen space texture to decide when to move or clip vertices on surface shaders. This RenderTexture is generated from two meshes in the scene. Everything is great, except for shadow casting. The shadows are completely misaligned:

Since I am comparing the object's vertex position with a screen space texture, the shadows are being drawn wrong. This is, I assume, because the shadow texture is generated from a orthographic camera at a different angle.

How would I go about either making sure the Screen Position node gets transformed in the shadow caster pass? I can send the View or Projection Matrices to shader globals via script on the camera on which the render texture is generated, but how would I use them to sample the texture angled differently?

Cheers <3

5. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Just do confirm, that's due to the use of derivatives on that specific node which wont work on the vertex function, this is expected; we updated the node on our side to warn other users, thanks for bringing it up.

6. Victoralm

Victoralm

Hi all!
    I'm trying to convert the following shader into an ASE URP PBR. And I'm stuck...
    I would really appreciate some help and/or directions, please...

Code (CSharp):
    1. ///Adapted from Skydome shader by Martijn Dekker aka Pixelstudio
    2. Shader "Holistic/Sky" {
    3. Properties
    4.     {
    5.         _MainTex ("Texture", 2D) = "white" {}
    6.         _cloudHeight1("Cloud 1 Height",float) = 1
    7.         _cloudHeight2("Cloud 2 Height",float) = 1
    8.         _cloudSpeed1("Cloud Speed 1",float) = 1
    9.         _cloudSpeed2("Cloud Speed 2",float) = 1
    10.         _fade("Cloud fade height",float) = 0
    11.         _WindDir("Wind Direction", Vector) = (0,0,0)
    12.         _SkyCol ("Sky Colour",  Color) = (0.7, 0.8, 0.9)
    13.     }
    14.     SubShader
    15.     {
    16.         Tags { "RenderType"="Opaque" }
    17.         LOD 100
    19.         Pass
    20.         {
    21.             CGPROGRAM
    22.             #pragma vertex vert
    23.             #pragma fragment frag
    24.             // make fog work
    25.             #pragma multi_compile_fog
    27.             #include "UnityCG.cginc"
    29.             struct appdata
    30.             {
    31.                 float4 vertex : POSITION;
    32.                 float2 uv : TEXCOORD0;
    33.             };
    35.             struct v2f
    36.             {
    37.                 float2 uv1 : TEXCOORD0;
    38.                 float2 uv2 : TEXCOORD1;
    39.                 float orgposz : TEXCOORD2;
    40.                 float intensity : TEXCOORD3;
    41.                 UNITY_FOG_COORDS(4)
    42.                 float4 vertex : SV_POSITION;
    43.             };
    45.             sampler2D _MainTex;
    46.             float4 _MainTex_ST;
    47.             float _cloudHeight1;
    48.             float _cloudHeight2;
    49.             float _cloudSpeed1;
    50.             float _cloudSpeed2;
    51.             float4 _WindDir;
    52.             float4 _SkyCol;
    53.             float _fade;
    55.             v2f vert (appdata v)
    56.             {
    57.                 v2f o;
    58.                 o.vertex = UnityObjectToClipPos(v.vertex);
    59.                 o.orgposz = abs(v.vertex.y);
    60.                 float t1 = _Time * _cloudSpeed1;
    61.                 float t2 = _Time * _cloudSpeed2;
    63.                 float3 norm = normalize(v.vertex);
    65.                 float2 len1 = float2(norm.z,norm.x) * _cloudHeight1;
    66.                 float2 len2 = float2(norm.z,norm.x) * _cloudHeight2;
    67.                 o.uv1.xy = 0.1 * len1 + t1 / 10 * _WindDir.xy * o.orgposz;
    68.                 o.uv2.xy = 0.2 * len2 + t2 / 10 * float2(_WindDir.z,0) * o.orgposz;
    70.                 float fadeHeight = _fade/64;
    71.                 o.intensity = max(norm.y - fadeHeight, 0);
    73.                 UNITY_TRANSFER_FOG(o,o.vertex);
    74.                 return o;
    75.             }
    77.             fixed4 frag (v2f i) : SV_Target
    78.             {
    79.                 float4 noise1 = tex2D( _MainTex, i.uv1.xy/i.orgposz);
    80.                 float4 noise2 = tex2D( _MainTex, i.uv2.xy/i.orgposz);
    81.                 float cloudAlpha = max(noise1.a, noise2.a);
    82.                 float intensity = 1 - exp(-512 * i.intensity);
    83.                 float4 cloudColor = (noise1 + noise2);
    84.                 float4 col = cloudColor.z * intensity * cloudColor + _SkyCol;
    85.                 UNITY_APPLY_FOG(i.fogCoord, col);
    86.                 return col;
    87.             }
    88.             ENDCG
    89.         }
    90.     }
    91. }
    Till now, I jus got as far as shown below...
    ASE_SkydomeAttempt.png

7. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

I don't see what the doc shows
    upload_2020-9-4_20-14-46.png
    and surface doesn't have the edit template button
    upload_2020-9-4_20-15-20.png
    so, since all i need is to change your outline math, how do i copy paste the surface custom lighting template?
    this doesn't do anything is this templating correct? (see attached)

upload_2020-9-4_20-27-45.png
    The doc was last modified in jan'19 which is a year and a half ago so is the above ^^^ addressed?

Attached Files:

8. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Q: SRP Add Light node loops through lights and add extra pixel lights in the same pass - cool but they're expensive pixel lights. how do i add extra light in URP but as vertex lighting and not pixel?

9. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

re: scale independent outline, never mind, i got it, was so easy in URP :)
    built in though :/
    upload_2020-9-4_21-11-6.png

10. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Q: how do i turn off transparency of the ASE inspector? with these subtle contrasts of the new unity GUI design i find it distracting.
    upload_2020-9-4_21-27-33.png

11. Aladine

Aladine

Solved

Am trying to recreate this No Man Sky scanner breakdown:

And am stuck with the part where he reconstruct the world space position using the depth buffer, which allow him to click anywhere and get a radial scanner effect:

I tried my best to solve that but all that i could come with is a linear scan, i can change the direction by choosing one of the 3 different axis, but that's all, here is a preview of mine:

My Goal here is to eventually integrate the Scanner line into gameplay, for example in the video below, i want to know when the line has crossed the Spider, so then i can trigger whatever visual effect i want (for example make the spider glow in red, or just put a UI arrow on top if it saying to show that there is an enemy)

Here is a high-res screenshot link for my node setup:
    https://i.imgur.com/StIioGk.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  12. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Another experiment with volumetrics. I'm sure I can get a better looking nebula structure with more references and maybe figure out if I can add lights in the clouds.

Mauri, laurentlavigne and Aladine like this.
  13. dualpulse

dualpulse

Our team is developing a game for PC and Nintendo Switch in Unity 2019.4.0f1

We bought 1 seat of ASE to evaluate it and pretty happy - about to buy seats for the whole team but have run into a strange issue and cannot find any similar examples when searching this thread.

I built a UI shader in ASE and it works correctly (yay!). We've been using it this week to make our game's UI.
    I reopened the shader in ASE again, but now when I re-compile - even without making a single edit - it breaks.

Repro:
    1) open unitypackage, check shader works correctly in example scene

2) open the shader in ASE & hit compile

3) check if shader breaks and shows the following error:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader error in 'amp_dan_wmi_shader_v3': sampler2D object does not have methods at line 170 (on glcore)
    3. Compiling Vertex program
    4. Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_RGBM_ENCODING
    If support is good and we can figure this out, we are likely to commit to ASE and buy seats for all teammembers. Thankyou in advance for any help.

Attached Files:

14. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Please provide specific details on what you're having problems with so that we can best assist you.

15. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

There are no Surface Shader templates, they are Vert/Frag only; this has been touched upon on previous posts/discussions.

Is that even possible with regular URP?

Yes, that was referenced in the video I shared previously, glad to know it's working.

Sorry, we don't have options for that.

So you got it working? Great!

Disable Sampling Macros, that should do it; this is a recent addition.

upload_2020-9-7_10-31-16.png

16. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Let me see if one of our devs can provide some insights.

17. b1gry4n

b1gry4n

I am not very experienced with shaders, but I was able to figure out how to sample the normal buffer in hdrp using amplify. If anyones interested heres how I did it. If you know of a better way I would like to see :)

You must also include "Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/Runtime/Material/NormalBuffer.hlsl"

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    syscrusher and Amplify_Ricardo like this.
  18. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Can you forward us a scene sample(support@amplify.pt), along with the required assets, we might be able to help identify the issue.

19. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

My shader is turning out pretty good but I have a few questions. Is it better (more optimized) to use "single line texture" or just leave the texture as it is, tbh I want my shader to look tidier so I want to add a "tile and offset like property to all 3 textures at a time so that they can be controlled globally like the Unity standard shader?

Snow Shder Toby.jpg

I want this! Is that possible I couldn't figure out how to do it, would it make the shader slower?

Screenshot_1.jpg

20. OscarLouw

OscarLouw

Sent an email. Thanks Ricardo!

21. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

It's possible but you need a Custom Material Inspector for that level of customization.

florianalexandru05 likes this.
  22. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

O_O I have seen that around, no relation hehe

Our devs will check it out, thanks for the sample.

23. b1gry4n

b1gry4n

I am using amplify with hdrp custom render pass and in order to access render textures in this process I need to be able to use TEXTURE2D_X instead of TEXTURE. I couldnt find anything online or anyone asking about this. In shadergraph you can create a custom node that references a HLSL file and write something like this...

Code (CSharp):
    1. #include "Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition/Runtime/ShaderLibrary/TextureXR.hlsl"
    2. TEXTURE2D_X(_MaskBuffer);
    3. SAMPLER(sampler_MaskBuffer);
    4. void ObjectMask_float(float2 In, out float4 Out)
    5. {
    6.     float4 samp = SAMPLE_TEXTURE2D_X(_MaskBuffer, sampler_MaskBuffer, In);
    7.     Out = samp;
    8. }
    Is there any way I can do something similar in amplify? The only way ive figured so far is to manually open the shader after it compiles and change the TEXTURE2D to TEXTURE2D_X, but that starts to become tedious when I am iterating and testing the shader. Maybe there is a quick hacky way I can clone the texture node and have it output TEXTURE2D_X instead? I only need a reference to be able to sample it and I am sampling it from a custom node

Edit* i was able to achieve this in a very hacky way like I mentioned. I created a new texture type in the TexturePropertyNode script. After bouncing around between scripts fixing errors I was able to get it to write what I want.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  24. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I see, thanks I'll figure something out then. If I don't I'll just live with it lol.

25. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

i just found out that it's a setting: additional light max = 8 as vertex light (God I am loving URP!)
    upload_2020-9-7_12-17-16.png

just tell me where in the code transparency is, i'll hard code it

only in URP, not builtin, any prepass in builtin? i'll make my own outline.

Something for you, to support the excellent GPU animator that is Meshanimator in ASE...
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/mes...stancing-and-more.284377/page-13#post-6286034

26. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Q: how do I setup an uber shader with many features like tesselation and outline but where those features turn off when the value is zeo? Or when a toggle isn't ON.

27. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Q: what causes this weir render. using displacement in the context of custom lighting node
    upload_2020-9-7_20-15-0.png
    ^^ ghosting when displacement is behind it
    upload_2020-9-7_20-16-6.png
    ^^^ works when no displacement is behind it
    i tried all combination of depth settings

Attached Files:

28. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

I'm not familiar with it, let me check with our developers if there's a less hacky way to use it. How did you work around it?

There's some info out there that might help.

https://www.alanzucconi.com/2016/11/07/shadergui-custom-material-inspectors-unity-5/
    https://catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/rendering/part-9/

Changing that transparency is not as straightforward as it might seem, meaning that there's no alpha that you can change. We're using an internal Unity texture that adapts automatically to the Light and Dark mode; like many attributes of our UI, we're using what Unity provides for consistency.

As far as I know the light usage is handled automatically by the shader, do you have an example/reference that specifically lets you control that in URP? We'd be happy to investigate it.

About the outline, you don't have Surface Shader templates as I mentioned previously.

That's a very broad question but if you want full control you create a custom vert/frag template and use a Custom Inspector. If you're not experienced with shader programming, and what creating an UBER shader entails, I don't recommend it; as much as our editor might simplify this, it's not something we'd recommend for general use.

Please provide a full sample as we're unable to replicate "ghosting". Are you using any post effects there such as occlusion?

29. b1gry4n

b1gry4n

I just opened the TexturePropertyNode script and added a new texture type, Texture2d_x. I went across a few scripts to plug it in. I havent tested the changes I have made entirely as far as sampling from it inside the editor. All I needed for it to do was to write TEXTURE2D_X(texturename) instead of just TEXTURE2D(texturename) since I am assigning the texture via c#. Theres a new entry in the texture2d enum inside the editor. Any texture that I want to write 2d_x I select that enem and mark it as auto-register.

Amplify_Ricardo likes this.
  30. enhawk

enhawk

hi @Amplify_Ricardo theres a bug in Amplify Shader Editor, at least on the mac, with gradients. If you have more than one gradient in a shader, it will override the other gradients and apply itself to all gradient samples.

Is there a way to rename the gradients?

31. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there,

We just corrected a Gradient redefinition error, be sure to pickup the latest ASE version from our website.
    Download here: http://amplify.pt/download/

Let us know if it works.

32. enhawk

enhawk

Ah ok I'll do that thanks. This was from the latest Unity Asset Store build.

33. Aladine

Aladine

Hi,
    is there a way to "extract" a texture from the entire objects in the current scene ? (like Lightmaps)
    i am trying to re-create the Splatoon world painting effect:

and i think the best way to do it (for static objects) is by having them all mapped into one texture, once that map exists, we can add whatever color and effect to it to create splats, and then use a mask to display them.

1st, is the theory correct here ?
    if yes, can anyone point me to some of the nodes i may need for this ? mainly how to unwrap every object in the scene into one texture ?

Thanks!

34. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there!

Let's try not to duplicate questions, I think you posted something similar on Discord. From your description, you're going to need a custom system/scripting that's beyond what a shader, or our editor, does.

I'm not sure if that method is better than regular decals but even if you have everything packed in a single texture, you still need to "paint" that info; that's the hard part to solve, not the nodes in ASE.

Please do elaborate, there might be something else we can suggest.

35. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

I would also recommend looking into systems that already do something along those lines.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/tutorials/realtime-painting-33506
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/painting/paint-in-3d-26286

36. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

I'll have a look anyway. what's the name of the builtin texture or style you're using?

37. Aladine

Aladine

Sorry for the duplication, thought i thought Discord is for questions among members too
    (or is the Technical-Talk channel mainly made to interact with you guys ? )

back on the topic:

What i wanna know atm is if there is a way (with Amplify) to create a texture of the entire level, in other word, treat the whole level as a single object, so when a splat is about to be placed, we can used the UV of the desired position, and apply modification, after some research i found this blog post, here is a quote from it:

"The bloodmap approach I ended up going with is definitely the most immediately intuitive. The concept is the whole worlds a canvas and you can paint it. "

Painting on a single object is easy, what i want is entire level painting with access to the painted data so i can use it for gameplay, this is the only assets on the store that does what i want, but since my whole purpose with this challenge is to get better with Amplify, i wanna learn how to do it by myself.

thanks!

38. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Ah yes, the site version is always more recent, Asset Store updates can take some more time.

MenuParent.cs line 89
    m_style = new GUIStyle( UIUtils.TextArea );
    Here we create a new TextArea style instance which internally points to GUI.skin.textArea
    To change the background style do:
    m_style.normal.background = (...);

I must stress that we don't recommend altering this kind of stuff, we wont be able to support you if you run into any issues with it.

"Something for you, to support the excellent GPU animator that is Meshanimator in ASE...
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/mes...stancing-and-more.284377/page-13#post-6286034"

Looks interesting, I'll ping the developer.

The Discord is mostly for the community, this is for support; for shader discussion, best use Discord, for technical support use the Forum or Email.

I'm afraid not, shaders are not responsible for creating textures or combining your mesh data, you'll need additional scripting regardless of our editor. On the shader side you're just applying the color splats based on the mask, generating the mask is the hard part, hence why I recommended checking the other packages.

Look into the links I shared on my previous post, or the one below for additional details on how to actually "paint" your own mask.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/need-help-painting-to-splat-map.678604/

Totally get that, it's a nice challenge but this is not an ASE specific problem to solve; you'd have the same questions with Shader Graph or by coding your shaders manually; might even involve preparing the actual assets beforehand with an additional UV channel that packs everything neatly.

Aladine and laurentlavigne like this.
  39. Aladine

Aladine

I see, thanks!

40. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

2020.1 draw instanced on terrain - how to with ASE?

41. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I'm getting this error when making a new Tessellation shader in any other place than the folder the example is in, my shader turns pink or doesn't work. A friend of mine tried it and it works for him but not for me, I got amplify installed in a clean project in Unity 2017.4.1f1 (64-bit).

"Shader error in 'Tessellation/Snow Tes': undeclared identifier 'v' at line 32 (on d3d11)"

42. PerunCreative_JVasica

PerunCreative_JVasica

Hi,

I am not sure if this is a bug or some missing checkbox on my end, but setting emission in the amplify surface shader to non-black color has no impact on the lightmapper and the resulting output is baked as if the emission was set to none. In the default Standard shader there are 3 options under emission GI - realtime, baked and none. These options are not present in ASE so maybe that is causing the problem.

43. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Which SRP, with or without Tessellation? Tessellation with Instanced Terrains is currently not working due to a Unity related issue.

Can you forward us a sample? What Unity version did he use?

We're available at support@amplify.pt

Should be there in the Material, what Unity and ASE version are you using?

upload_2020-9-14_10-33-30.png

44. PerunCreative_JVasica

PerunCreative_JVasica

Hi,

ok so in turned out the problem was caused by using different Custom Editor fallback and not the default ASE. Using the included editor or setting the Lightmap flags manually works.

45. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Great! Alternatively, you can always add that to your Custom Inspector.

46. PerunCreative_JVasica

PerunCreative_JVasica

Hi,

shaders created using ASE are not recognized in the Texture Streaming view. Instead of colors the objects in the view are only red or blue.

47. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey, we need some more context.

-Unity version
    -Renderer
    -Sample
    -Streaming Settings(not needed if default)

48. PerunCreative_JVasica

PerunCreative_JVasica

Unity 2020.1.5
    Built-In SRP
    Default streaming settings
    Sample showcasing the issue using newly created ASE surface shader only with Albedo input:

Texture streaming.PNG

49. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I'm trying to have SSR with my water shader tow it doesn't seem to work. Is there an option I'm missing, perhaps my water has to be Opaque?

50. syscrusher

syscrusher

Amplify folks, I want to respectfully request a grammatical correction to the ASE documentation and some of the error messages emitted by the editor code. There are several variant spellings of "inexistant", "in existant", and so forth, all of which are incorrect. Something that does not exist is "nonexistent". I hate to nitpick, but this has been itching my psyche for quite a while, so I finally decided to point it out with hope that it can be corrected in the next release. :)

florianalexandru05 likes this.