Search Unity

[Best Tool Asset Store Award] Amplify Shader Editor - Node-based Shader Creation Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Sep 13, 2016.

1. castor76

castor76

Not sure if this was asked here, since this thread is so massive... does this work with urp 2drenderer?

2. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there, updating to the latest ASE version from our website should resolve that issue; be sure to remove the ASE folder if the problem persists. Just to confirm, what's your OS language?

Download here: http://amplify.pt/download (v1.8.1.003 – 12th June 2020)

Not entirely sure about your specific use but you can loop through a Texture Array using a Custom Expression if you intend to do it all via shader. For full control, I would probably recommend using a script to pass the index value onto your shader; if you're unsure on how to do that, check our Smear example.(built-in sample)

As for accessing multiple textures, consider referencing the Array by setting the Texture Array to Reference; notice that you can change its UV and Index value.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused here, but is it working for the rest of the tree? Not sure what you're trying to do there.

Thanks!

3. georgerh

georgerh

Hi,

I just got tasked to optimize a Amplify terrain shader which is extremely memory bound because it samples different textures in different texture arrays over 100 times and blends them together. Unfortunately, the shader samples the textures even if their blend weight is zero.

Is it possible to execute a function conditionally?

Basically something like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. float4 color = float4(0, 0, 0, 0);
    2. if (layer0Weight > 0)
    3. {
    4.        // sample all the textures for layer 0
    5.      color += layer0Weight * UNITY_SAMPLE_TEX2DARRAY(...);
    6. }
    7. if (layer1Weight > 0)
    8. {
    9.        // sample all the textures for layer 1
    10.      color += layer1Weight * UNITY_SAMPLE_TEX2DARRAY(...);
    11. }
    Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  4. fwalker

fwalker

We created a shader using the Billboard Node and we are having a very strange behavior. With Light Probes set to Blend Probes the shader works without a problem. With light probes set to Off the meshes using the shader move around, following the camera X and Y movement. What in the world could cause this?

5. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there,

I don't exactly know what you have on your side but you can try using a Static Switch.

I'm guessing that batching is kicking in when you toggle that, billboards don't work with batching as that would alter the object transform; be sure to disable batching and to use Instancing instead.

Disable batching by adding the tag below.

DisableBatching=True

upload_2020-6-17_11-51-15.png

Let me know if that works for you, if not please let us know what's your current shader type.

6. castor76

castor76

@Amplify_Ricardo , can you let me know if shader editor works with Unity 2dRenderer?

7. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

You mean the experimental Render Asset for 2d lights?(2 specific URP shaders included for that) It should but I must say that we haven't fully tested that in recent versions, be sure to let us know if you run into any problems.

8. georgerh

georgerh

Thank you for the response, @Amplify_Ricardo . Unfortunately, we can't use a static switch since the condition is dynamic. There is a way to do dynamic branching in Amplify, but it only works in very simple cases. Take this complex shader, for example:

upload_2020-6-17_18-57-18.png

The value that comes in at the top requires a long list of computations and many texture samples. However, it is only used if SomeDynamicValue is greater than 0.5. In all other cases, you can skip the computations. Unfortunately, the generated code looks like this:

upload_2020-6-17_19-5-18.png

Even though, it uses dynamic branching, it still calculates all those values. All of that code should be in the else branch.

Is there a way to achieve this in Amplify or do we have to optimize the generated shader manually - effectively breaking visual shader editing.

Thanks.

9. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey, thanks for elaborating!

Regarding Dynamic Branching, by default, that If node won't branch in all situations, it does generate something similar without branching. This is why we include a toggle for Dynamic Branching in the node properties. When activated, it will be similar to manually editing your shader to place your If/Else conditions.

Be sure that you are on the latest ASE version: http://amplify.pt/download/

At closer inspection, the code is still outside but a Unity Macro is added, you can confirm this by compiling and checking the code:

I hope the information above helps, let us know if you're referring to something else; we would be happy to elaborate. We'd be interested in knowing more about what you'd change manually so that we can provide you with an alternative that will still allow you to visually edit your shader.

Please do keep in mind that any manual edits will be discarded once the shader is edited with our tool; there's also a Custom Expression node if you need full control over specific areas of your shader.

10. bigbrainz

bigbrainz

When upgrading to Universal Render Pipeline shaders in 2019.4.1 all my shaders are giving me this error:

Code (CSharp):
    1.  #error "LODDitheringTransition" is not supported on GLES 2.0 at line 412 (on gles)
    Any ideas how I might be able to resolve those? Thanks!

11. Rob-Madden

Rob-Madden

Hey! Can you guys help with a problem I am having where, when using a Mesh Renderer in a Particle System to spawn meshes that use a Vertex Offset, the position of the meshes is being changed relative to world position? When I move the emitter around the position of the particles change, which I would not expect to happen. This does not occur when no Vertex Offset is applied - the particles stay in their spawned positions.

Any help would be amazing!

Thank you

Attached Files:

12. Rob-Madden

Rob-Madden

I was being stupid - easy fix! I just had to subtract the Vertex Position from the World Position. Does anyone know why this happens in the first place? When Unity spawns mesh particles does is use Vertex Offset in the renderer to position the meshes? Is that why they have that extra offset?

13. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey, haven't seen it before.

-Are you targeting GLES 2.0?
    -Have you updated to the latest ASE as well?
    -What's your URP version?

http://amplify.pt/download (v1.8.1.003 – 12th June 2020)

That's usually the first way to avoid an offset; not sure about the particle system specifically. Maybe one of our users in our Discord channel has come across that before.

14. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Hi everyone. Anyone know if it's possible to do an alpha cutout but still retain it's shadow? I'm try to make the VR avatar head transparent to prevent clipping, but I would like to show it's head shadow. Thanks!

15. Passeridae

Passeridae

Hi!
    Does anyone know if it's possible to make an edge masking effect like the one used in the Unreal Hair shader from Paragon?

The full description is on the screenshot, but the short version is this: it masks all polygons (or their parts) that are perpendicular to the camera. It would be great to mask them via dithering.

I kinda get the idea from the Unreal graph, and I've tried to replicate it. It even works to a certain degree, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly and I'm just blindly following the steps without a full understanding of what's going on.

Btw, what do I use as a replacement for the Unreal Camera Vector node in Amplify for this case?

16. Tony_Beretta

Tony_Beretta

Hello,
    is there an example around on how to replicate the parallax effect in a shader without using the parallax nodes?
    I have already seen the shader "Fake Interiors" but each plane is splitted and I am not able to change it as I would need it.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  17. enhawk

enhawk

Hi, I was trying out "Grab Screen Color" in VR and it doesn't show, also it disables one of the cameras (right eye). This is on the Oculus Quest.

I saw a thread on this topic back in the old Amplify forum, was this issue ever resolved?
    http://amplify.pt/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=361

Screenshot 2020-06-21 at 16.46.05.png

18. TheRebirth2393390183

TheRebirth2393390183

Not sure is this has been asked before but when I click Compile and show code button in shader inspector, it throws a MissingMethodException, specifically CustomShaderInspector.cs:754 where it trys to invoke OpenCompiledShader method. I'm using ASE 1.8.1 and Unity 2020.1b8.
    The full error message is:

MissingMethodException: UnityEditor.ShaderUtil.OpenCompiledShader Due to: Attempted to access a missing member.
    System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember (System.String name, System.Reflection.BindingFlags bindingFlags, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object target, System.Object[] providedArgs, System.Reflection.ParameterModifier[] modifiers, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture, System.String[] namedParams) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    System.Type.InvokeMember (System.String name, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object target, System.Object[] args) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    UnityEditor.ShaderUtilEx.OpenCompiledShader (UnityEngine.Shader shader, System.Int32 mode, System.Int32 customPlatformsMask, System.Boolean includeAllVariants) (at Assets/ExternalAssets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Utils/CustomShaderInspector.cs:754)
    UnityEditor.CustomShaderInspector.ShowCompiledCodeButton (UnityEngine.Shader s) (at Assets/ExternalAssets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Utils/CustomShaderInspector.cs:510)
    UnityEditor.CustomShaderInspector.ShowShaderCodeArea (UnityEngine.Shader s) (at Assets/ExternalAssets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Utils/CustomShaderInspector.cs:343)
    UnityEditor.CustomShaderInspector.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/ExternalAssets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Utils/CustomShaderInspector.cs:279)
    UnityEditor.UIElements.InspectorElement+<>c__DisplayClass58_0.<CreateIMGUIInspectorFromEditor>b__0 () (at <96ac283d3ed54c8586075d55d7cc2a57>:0)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility. ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&)

19. syscrusher

syscrusher

Good evening!

I'm creating my first custom node for ASE, one I hope to share with the community under MIT License if it works out okay.

The node, which is called ChannelModify, will work like BreakIntoComponents except that it will also have input ports for each channel. Any of those that are unconnected will be ignored and those channels will keep the data from the main input. Any connected channel input will override that channel in the output. Following the BreakIntoComponents pattern allows both the aggregate and channelized outputs to be available downstream.

UPDATE: Never mind, I found it. Apparently I accidentally copied and pasted the problematic function inside another function -- while never intending to do so! -- and was editing the nested function and not the one defined directly at the class level. As best I can tell, I must have accidentally dragged-and-dropped the text and gotten really...lucky?...unlucky?...that it got dropped in a place that happened to be syntactically valid. It probably happened when I'd selected the method to let JetBrains reformat the code for me. I've been coding for several decades, and this is one of the weirdest and stupidest things I've ever done. Sorry for the bandwidth!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  20. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello!

Alpha cutouts retain shadows, can you elaborate?

Sorry, not entirely familiar with it. Perhaps the World Space Camera Position node?

Hey there, are you referring to our Fake Interiors Package or the Fake Interior in the ASE Package? Not sure what you mean mean by "splitted", here's a good reference on how to achieve parallax: https://catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/rendering/part-20/

Hey!

Not sure if you're experiencing the same issue; there were definitely quite a few updates since 2017 ;)

-What's your current Unity and ASE version? (Window > Amplify Shader Editor > About)
    -Are you using the built-in renderer or any of the SRP's?
    -Single pass or multi pass rendering?

Unfortunately, we don't have an Oculus Quest at our disposal so we won't be able to test the same exact conditions; we can run a few tests on a Vive if you'd like. I'm not entirely sure about the output you'd get with that node setup, is this working in the editor?

Hello there!

Happy to know you found the problem, those types of issues can be hard to track indeed. Do let us know when it's out, we accept Community Submissions.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  21. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there, we don't support Alpha/Beta Unity distributions, 2020 will be supported as soon as the first stable release is made available; that issue will not be present then.

Do let us know if you can replicate the problem on any previous distribution.

Thanks!

22. enhawk

enhawk

Hi thanks for the swift reply. Here's the setup:

Unity 2018.4
    ASE 1.7.1r1
    built-in renderer
    forward rendering
    works in editor set to Android / pc

23. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Before we proceed, I recommend updating ASE; you're using a much older version.

Amplify Product - Downloads - v1.8.1.003 – 12th June 2020

enhawk likes this.
  24. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

I can confirm that the issue does not seem to be happening with our HMD; unforunately, as I mentioned, I'm unable to test it using an Oculus Quest.

Can you confirm that the problem is still present with the latest ASE?

25. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Hey, attached is what I meant. I want to have my characters head invisible because of VR camera clipping, but still retain the head shadow on the ground. Is it possible? Thanks.

shadow-missing.gif

26. enhawk

enhawk

Hi, I upgraded to the latest ASE, problem is still present. Maybe it's a limitation in Android?

If I replicate the same in the Standard Unity shader (reflection probe reflection over transparency) it works fine.

27. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Not sure, we're unable to test at the moment. Can you send us that shader for examination, assuming it's not too complex, we can try replicating it.

Thanks!

28. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Go into the Mesh Renderer component, under Lighting, and set it to shadow only.
    upload_2020-6-24_11-1-47.png

29. Mars91

Mars91

Is possible to use opacity mask with URP shader?

30. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello there, you can.

upload_2020-6-25_15-53-19.png

Or this for a cutout:
    upload_2020-6-25_15-57-38.png

Hope it helps!

31. illinar

illinar

upload_2020-6-26_13-4-29.png

This is the shader from the examples. Where is ambient light? How to make it look smooth and properly lit? I don't want the vertices to show, and those weird offsets.. Let's say I want a TF2 style shader how do I do that in Amplify?

Attached Files:

32. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

-Did you calculate your lighting?
    -What's your lighting setup like?

33. illinar

illinar

upload_2020-6-26_15-21-43.png
    upload_2020-6-26_15-22-23.png

Thank you.

Everything is fully dynamic.

EDIT: Now I see.. It's the shadows. It doesn't work properly with recieved shadows.

upload_2020-6-26_15-40-14.png

Is there a fix for this?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  34. DanijelM

DanijelM

Heya everyone,

Got a probably newb question, but I can't find an answer.

I'm trying to expose a stencil buffer parameter to the inspector. Basically a simple: check/don't check stencil buffer. I've linked the parameter to an int node that's configured as a custom enum (as is shown in the manual), but the property doesn't display in the inspector. What am I missing? Here's a couple of shots for reference.

[EDIT]
    I just realized I'm having issues with properties in general. No new properties that I add to any shader, not just this one, show up in the material inspector. Anyone experienced that? Any hint to provide as to what to do?

CustomEnumSetup.jpg
    OutputNodeProperties.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  35. syscrusher

syscrusher

When you look at the settings for the output node in the shader graph, is it set up to use the ASE custom inspector? Start by checking that, because the default Unity inspectors may not know how to handle the added properties. Aside from that, the ASE custom inspector generally has nicer formatting in the inspector, for ASE properties.

36. DanijelM

DanijelM

I've changed it to use the custom ASE inspector as you suggested. Thanks for the hint. Didn't fix the problem unfortunately.

There are two separate issues actually. The "edit" I posted was because I was trying to use the Outline node in the URP shader, but it only works on surface shaders, as the documentations states, which I noticed later. So I'm guessing any property linked to that node didn't show because it couldn't work. So we can scratch that off the list.

The original problem persists. The int enum property is simply not displayed in the material inspector. It shows up in the ASE editor window material properties list and the effect itself works as intended. The property however is missing from the inspector.

37. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

distance fade.
    Here is what I get so far
    upload_2020-6-26_12-16-5.png
    upload_2020-6-26_12-16-18.png

Is it possible to have the entire object including it's internal fade away as if the object was an impostor ?
    Here is the shader http://paste.amplify.pt/view/raw/6998c1a1

38. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there,

Depends if it can be fixed, what's your current renderer?

If you want to use an Outline, or even Custom Lighting in URP, check this dedicated stream as there are crucial differences between the built-in renderer and SRP.

Regarding the properties, I would request that you share a sample for examination so that we can determine might have happened on your side; any value set to property should be visible in the actual material properties by default without any additional steps on your part.

-Is this issue also present in our samples?
    -What's your current Unity and URP version?
    -Try using using the latest ASE version from our website.

If I understand correctly, you might simply want to manually apply the dither uniformly based on your object distance and not based on your camera depth.

39. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

40. DanijelM

DanijelM

No worries about the outline. That was just a sidenote. I went in a completely wrong direction on that one, though it did tell me that properties linked to nodes that cannot work aren't visible in the inspector (or at least it looks like that to me).

Gladly. I've attached the shader. It's quite simple, really. The only problem is the "CanBeHidden" meant to control the Stencil Buffer does not show. It's not set as "HideInInspector". One thing that does come to mind is that it doesn't show, because the node's output is not linked anywhere on the canvas. Is that possibly the problem?

- I didn't notice it in any other instances. Any other properties that I've added in any shader works as it should. This is the only one that isn't displayed.
    - Unity 2019.4.1f1 | URP 7.4.1.
    - Downloaded 5 minutes ago as instructed. Recompiled the shader. No difference. Problem persists.

Some added info:
    - I can see the node exists in the "ASE" block at the bottom of the shader file.
    - I can also see the property in the ASE Material properties window in the editor itself.
    - I "linked" the property to the Stencil Buffer parameter without a problem.
    - I CANNOT however see the property in the inspector when the shader file is selected
    - and I cannot see the property at the top of the shader file where other properties are listed

[EDIT]Apologies. I've uploaded the wrong file. Proper shader now attached.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  41. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thanks for confirming it. Yes, ASE disregards unconnected nodes, they are kept in the file but not used unless specifically set to or simply connected to any of the input ports of the main Output Node.

In this case, since the node is not connected, you'd use the Auto-Register toggle.

upload_2020-6-29_13-32-59.png

Hope it helps!

42. DanijelM

DanijelM

Yep. That's the step I was missing. All is working now. I was wondering what that flag was for.

Thank you very much!

Amplify_Ricardo likes this.
  43. illinar

illinar

View attachment 650063
    (The checkered sphere that doesn't have black shadows doesn't receive shadows)

This is the builtin renderer. Can the shadows be fixed?

44. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

45. castor76

castor76

I am trying to use 2dRenderer shader base, and it seems to work ok so far, except when I use normal, writing to normal buffer seems to happen without writing to depth buffer, causing normal to draw in incorrect order than the sprite itself.

This is clearly visible in frame debugger, where writing normal happens without regarding to the depth buffer whatsoever, and then starts to write to depth buffer when it comes to rendering the actual composited with lighting.

Not sure if this is Unity bug.. but any idea?

46. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Which one doesn't, the left one? Mark your screenshot please, this is a bit vague. I can't quite make our what exactly you're referring to, start by checking your Light Shadow parameter or project quality settings.

Here's a comparison between low Shadow Distance and the Default Unity settings, this is as close as I can get to your issue without an actual sample.

Low Shadow Distance
    upload_2020-6-30_11-36-8.png

Defaults (you should at least be able to get something like this)

upload_2020-6-30_11-37-43.png

Hope it helps!

Apologies, I forgot to mention that I was using a Cutout shader; just plug the nodes you shared into the Opacity Mask, works with your values.

Does it happen with Shader Graph? If not, it could be an issues on our side. Let us know, a sample would be great for further examination. (ASE and SG)

Btw, what's your current Unity version?

Thanks!

laurentlavigne likes this.
  47. castor76

castor76

Just to add some slap to Shader graph, you cant even enable depth option in shader graph... so you cant test this . It is the reason why I am using amplify shader graph.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  48. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Ah, I see, that might make it trickier to find a solution. I will add this to our ticket list but I can't guarantee that we can make it work, especially if there's some sort of Unity limitation preventing it from being used. I'll pass it on to a dev for further examination.

Thanks!

49. illinar

illinar

Sorry, I thought it's most clear. upload_2020-6-30_21-34-1.png

Objects with custom lighting receive pitch black shadows, instead of normal shadows like this white sphere.

Shadow settings are fine. Environment lighting is fine. Builtin renderer. No baked lighting.

Thank you.

50. Beauque

Beauque

Hi. Exact same problem.
    Unity Version: 2019.4.1
    Version Of Amplify Shader: 1.8.1

EDIT: Never mind, fixed with last release from ASE website.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020