Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Best Tool Asset Store Award] Amplify Shader Editor - Node-based Shader Creation Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Sep 13, 2016.

1. bigbenmatt

bigbenmatt

Hey there!

I have a material which is pushing the verts along there Vertex Normal using the vertex offset input in the material (nothing fancy). When i use a projector (using the basic Amplify Projector material) on a model with this material on it the projector doesn't seem to render. I feel like this is something probably to do with the Projector Matrix and Vertex Position not being in the correct place anymore but have no idea how to go about fixing this issue. Any chance anyone can point me in the right direction?

Ben

p.s. The "Vertex Offset" value in the images is the scalar multiplied by the Vertex Normal to control the push

upload_2020-4-22_19-45-15.png

2. Gregnaut

Gregnaut

Hi! How can i get scene vertex normal in post process material? I want to make post process effect based on triplanar projection, so i need scene vertex normal for planes blending.

3. piotr-kolodziejczyk

piotr-kolodziejczyk

Heya, didn't find info anywhere.
    Is there a way to group custom Amplify Functions categories? Since slashes don't work Screenshot 2020-04-23 at 14.02.15.png

4. max_striebel

max_striebel

Hi Ricardo,

I tried using DrawMeshInstancedIndirect by using an InstancedProperty of Vectex4 to offset the vertices. This doesn't work. Is there an official support for this or are there any work arounds? Also I would like to suply additional parameters by buffer. Does this work when they are set as InstancedProperty or do I have to treat them differently?

Thanks
    Max

5. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there, that's pretty cool!

I'll add a request for it as a Gradient option, until then be sure to use the recommendation that you saw via Discord.

The community samples are a great resource: https://github.com/DMeville/AmplifyShaderCommunityExtras
    Specifically, the Radial gradient: https://github.com/DMeville/Amplify...ommunityExtras/ShaderFunctions/RadialGradient

Awesome!

Absolutely, one of our main goals with ASE is really to provide this level of flexibility; you can pretty much adapt it to your requirements.

We can't make out what the user is doing from the video, I would recommend contacting him directly.

There are many ways to achieve something like this, some more complex than others. I suppose a simple way would be to have the same shader on both the ground and rocks, you could than use position/depth to define where they mixed. It seems that he's using Triplanar projection but, like I said, can't make out what's being done exactly.

I'm afraid that might actually be a bit more complex to solve than it appears, perhaps one of our users on Discord can provide some insight into common Projector quirks due to the way they work. I can confirm that you'll see the same problem with Unity's own projector.

In short, the projector is not taking that transform into account, one way to go around it would be to create your own projector shader that does the same transformation; this will probably not fit your usage case. An alternative usually recommend is to use Screen Space Decals instead.

I see that you got an answer on Discord, please don't duplicate questions, it gets a bit confusing to manage on our side ;)

Yes, use the Category parameter; you can create your own. Be sure that you are using the latest ASE version, otherwise you might not have that option.

Hello Max,

Can you elaborate on what exactly you're trying to accomplish, and how? One of our ASE developers would be happy to guide you in overcoming any possible hurdles.

We're also available privately via support@amplify.pt.

Thanks!

6. Yaos

Yaos

Thanks for your answer!

I've followed a few tutorials but it seems I bit a bit more than I can chew.... Especially when it comes to mixing and reconstructing normal maps, I'm having a really difficult time. So far I've succeded in mixing albedo (as seen with the first image) but the meshs are still not blending at all, normal wise.

Everything I tried goes terrible. I've tried using the depth map as an alpha for the lerp and it does not work for normals as it does for albedo.
    My questions would be first, how would you go about mixing the normal so it seems seamless but also I'm really wondering if that can be achieved using only ASE or if it does requires additional code. I'm not fluent in code and that's why I'm struggling so hard with the already existing solutions that I'm trying to reproduce.

Here's the nodes for the depth mask, which is exactly how this tutorial was doing it

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  7. sabojako

sabojako

Hey there! Small issue:

Context: SRP + Multipass Template (Universal PBR) + SRP Batcher

It looks like the Texel Size node registers its variable outside of a CBUFFER, which is combersome when you want to make an SRP Batcher compatible shader.
    Because _Texture0 is declared in Properties, the SRP Batcher requires _Texture0_TexelSize in the UnityPerMaterial CBUFFER. Note uou also cannot put it in another random CBUFFER.
    Note that if _Texture0 is not declared in Properties, then uniform float4 _Texture0_TexelSize is allowed for SRP Batcher compatibility.

Code (CSharp):
    1.             sampler2D _Texture0;
    2.             uniform float4 _Texture0_TexelSize;
    3.             CBUFFER_START( UnityPerMaterial )
    4.             float4 _Texture0_ST;
    5.             float4 _DefinedPropertyNode;
    6.             CBUFFER_END
    Thanks! :)

8. piotr-kolodziejczyk

piotr-kolodziejczyk

Hey Ricardo, thanks for replying so quickly!
    As You can see from the screenshot, I use the custom categories. The thing is, it would be neat if I can put my amplify functions UNDER Functions category with some child names (with the use of slash like it works in Shader naming and everywhere in Unity). Is such a functionality possible to add easily with how current Amplify UI works?

9. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

I don't want to discourage you but maybe it's best to go for a pre-made solution like Micro Splat. It's not an easy problem to solve, specially for a solution that fits custom requirements without any additional scripts.

Don't worry about it but let's try not to duplicate conversations, it gets really tricky to manage on our side. On Discord, Patrick recommend the article below, it evolves some scripting but it's probably one of the simplest ways to get what you need. I believe the user provides the source via Patreon; and it uses ASE.

https://inresin.wordpress.com/2020/04/03/terrain-and-mesh-blending-in-unity/

As a side note, you should contact the original developer in the video you shared, there's no telling if his not using additional data.

Hey there, can you send us a sample of your template directly to support@amplify.pt? One of our ASE devs will take over from there.

Hey there, I see what you mean now!

We don't have that type of functionality there, perhaps something to consider for future UI additions. I'll pass it on to the Devs.

Thanks!

10. -Singularity-

-Singularity-

Hi Amplify, long term user of your tool, it's great.

I stumped on one thing - is map based / dynamic tessellation possible with amplify?

I only want to tessellate certain parts of a mesh, exactly as above, but I cannot for the life of me get it to work!

11. Yaos

Yaos

Thank you for your answer!
    Yes this is the tutorial I followed. I even subcribed to its Patreon to see his files, but the normal doesn't work and need more refining (he even said so in his tutorial) which I can't figure out.

I contacted the original video poster but I found out that his method was too performance heavy for my project.

I understand now that maybe there's no way the ASE can handle it by itself and it's a bit more than I can chew.
    Thanks for your answer though.

Sorry about the double conversation I didn't think you were looking at all the conversations on discord and thought it was only community-driven.

12. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there,

It depends, this is really not an Amplify Shader Editor thing, more dependent on how the Surface Tessellation function is working. Short answer, it's not possible; however one of our developers is actually working on URP/SRP tessellation support, one of the goals is to offer that level of control. Are you using any of the SRP's or the built-in renderer?

Ah that's a shame, I hoped the Patreon sample would help build what you needed. It's not necessarily dependent on ASE, you'd run into the same limitation coding your own shaders; not an easy problem to solve. Like I said, I don't want to discourage you, but it will be hard to get a step-by-step solution for something like this on the forum, or Discord, it involves a considerable amount of work.

I recommend looking at the MegaSplat/MicroSplat solution, if you want to get down to the details of how it works.

However, if you have specific/exact technical questions that we can assist you with, especially if it pertains to something that you know how to do but can't in ASE for some reason, feel free to post them on discord or here.

We do check Discord, it's not a replacement for support via the forum or support@amplify.pt but we try to participate whenever possible.

Thank you for understanding.

13. TextusGames

TextusGames

Input BUG.
    Sometimes then I press Cntrl + S. "S" input is not cleared and than I press left mouse button without holding anything else the Subtract node is created. I need to press ESC in order to go back to normal behaviour.
    (It happens almost always if I press Cntrl + S in Shader function than switch to Material shader editor which is using that function and press Cntrl + S again, then after 1 second if I press LMB on empty canvas space subtract nodes are creating.)
    Is it known? Any workarounds?

14. SuperUltraHyper

SuperUltraHyper

Hoping there is a solution to this one!

15. TextusGames

TextusGames

Shader function bug.
    Let say you have an input parameter on shader function.
    You use it in another shader, and assign input values in function node panel.
    If you change numbers of outputs in function editor it will reset values of used function nodes.

Another bug.
    Sometimes preview of any node are not updated and you need to remove node and add new one.

I do not actually thougt I will encounter so much bugs in first day...

16. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

This one is a known issue. It's related to the Unity save, and the fact that you can use S+Left Click to create a Subtract node. The issue is present when you have changes to be saved in a shader(yellow button) and save without having your mouse focused in the editor. It's an odd one, not always replicable depending on the Unity version; hopefuly this is something that we can work around in future Unity versions.
    Pressing S with canvas selected should correct it.

Hopefully soon, it's on our support queue.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused. I don't quite understand what you mean in regards to the Shader Function problem, please elaborate, with screenshots if possible.

Regarding the preview issue, there are some conditions that could result in that, please share an example of the problem described so that we can replicate it on our side.

Thanks!

17. OmarVector

OmarVector

I tried to add emission color to Unlit template, by adding an HDR color node and multify it with an alpha mask , then added the result final output, but when I bake the light, it does not work

Is there any right way to add emission value to the Unlit template?

18. TextusGames

TextusGames

This is more of a saving problem. My data is not always saved( it appears to be saved ) and sometimes resets its state to default values spontaneously. Custom expression node is not always working too, one time it works another it does not. I often press Cntrl + s and work in open canvas mode. For me, these issues are related to the saving system. I can not say more, but I switched to the shader graph in the same project and there are no such issues.

Edited.
    Actually maybe this saving issue is on the Unity side. Because now I reopen my yesterday's project and Lost all the data in the scene...

Edited.
    Further investigation had shown that it is an ASE autosave problem.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  19. TextusGames

TextusGames

upload_2020-4-26_20-43-17.png
    Values of assigned function inputs are spanteniusly resetted.
    Notice how smooth input was 2 than I assigned it to 3 then resaved shaved function graph. Than used smooth input was somehow resetted to its default value.
    Kind of saving issue.
    The only solution is to always connect inputs to another nodes (properties or constants).

20. TextusGames

TextusGames

So considering custom expression in shader function issue. upload_2020-4-26_21-3-43.png
    The thing that is causing the problem is the autosave feature. If I press the second grey dot (autosave toggle) in shader function toolbar the button does not becomes green but something happens ( autosave is turning on) because then I start to type in custom expression the "*"save indicator in the title bar is not showing up and then ending editor I am pressing First dot button (create and apply the shader to the material). Sometimes later I discover that my editing is not being saved and instead reverted to some previous state. This is very annoying!
    The worse is that the autosave indicator is not turning green than it is On (on shader function graph).
    While the issue is on and the indicator is not working is there a way to globally disable autosave? (I apparently sometimes click on that button and since it is not turning green I do not care about it but this enables the reset issue) I would like to disable the autosave feature completely because it is causing loosing data problems. Is there a way?

21. Kali2048

Kali2048

I'm working on a grass shader

As you can see the very first front prefab has been rotated and is not moving properly, how do I fix that ?
    Here is my current noise setup

Should I switch to a texture panning method like the flame tutorial, would that be more cost effective ?
    How do I get the prefab rotation into my shader?
    Thanks

22. cyuxi

cyuxi

Hi ,
    I am using Unity 2018.4f1, LWRP, ASE 1.8.0r1,
    currently working on a customized shader based on the ASE Unlit LWRP template.

The node
    Fetch Lightmap Value

will get error :
    'DecodeLightmap': no matching 0 parameter function at line 168 (on d3d11),

and if look into the shader file for the code line:
    float3 decodeLightMap6_g1 = DecodeLightmap(localSampleLightmapHD11_g1, );

The second input parameter of the function is missing. Not sure what's causing it. Even if remove the comma making it to one input won't help.

In the LWRP shader library, in the file Lighting.hlsl, I can only find a lightmap related function half3 SampleLightmap(float2 lightmapUV, half3 normalWS) , but the DecodeLightmap is from legacy UnityCG.cginc, So does this mean the fetch lightmap node is not ye supported for the LWRP unlit?

Just did few more tests found that the other node Decode Lightmap can do the job fine!
    :p

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  23. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

What's the renderer and Unity version used?

With the Surface Shader type, you can set its Lighting Mode to Unlit and simply plug the emission; just make sure that the proper parameter is toggled in the Material.

Thanks for the heads-up, I think you found a recently introduced problem specific to Shader Functions. Are you seeing any problems elsewhere with the save function? It's an odd one, surprised it did not come up sooner given the amount of users using it daily.

I saw a Null Ref error on my side, do you see any on yours? If so, it's best to restart Unity as this will probably lead to additional issues. I'm going to escalate this to our developers, we should have a fix soon.

Apologies for the inconvenience, please use the Save button to manually save for now.

Quick note, instead of disabling save functions, best to tackle the problem as quickly as possible.

Not sure, is it at 0.0.0? Try moving it, or perhaps adding a small value.

Regarding the second question, texture panning would be preferred over Noise Generation(costly).

We include a node to help with rotation:

24. DatoKiknavelidze

DatoKiknavelidze

Hello, I'm building Grass shader with vertex animation, it seams that everything works fine but I have this kind of issue with Z sorting, can someone suggest any ways to solve this problem? Thank you very much in advance

25. TextusGames

TextusGames

Sometimes I need to press save button twice because after several seconds graph becomes not saved again. THat happens rearaly.

upload_2020-4-27_14-39-55.png
    Yes a bunch of errors)

26. Kali2048

Kali2048

Switch from using a Transparent surface setting to an Opaque one, then use a 0.5 float value for the Alpha Clip Threshold input of your shader, that should probably solve it.

27. Kali2048

Kali2048

The mesh is not at 0.0.0.
    Actually, I did not use anything in the shader to handle the prefab rotation, I was hopping you could point me in the right direction :)
    How can I make the noise be applied as world coordinates ? or rotate the UV ? whats the way to handle it ?

Alright, I'll look into this, thanks!

But how do you get the prefab / object angle in the world ?
    Thanks

28. megawhile

megawhile

hey, iam new with amplify shader editor,
    i paste a shader to another project without amplify shader asset, the shader not working why? get a bug: cant select materials @ cube inspector

everything of material is grey... i delete the shader, but the bug is not killed, thats not good, my project is now crashed, what i doing wrong? what can i do to solved the problem?
    can u help me pls?

EDIT: update unity solved the problem, sometimes i must replace the material with there own.

29. DatoKiknavelidze

DatoKiknavelidze

Thank you very much, will try :)

Amplify_Ricardo likes this.
  30. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Unfortunately, sorting issues are quire common, can you share a sample of your shader? (we're also available privately via support@amplify.pt)

The issue has been corrected, a fix should be included in the next update.

The initially reported save issue(specific to shader functions) has been corrected, a fix should be included in the next update.

That's very worrying, where exactly is the problem happening? We need exact steps on how to replicate it or a description of where/when it happens.

What's the Unity version used in that last screenshot with the console?

If you have a considerable amount of errors in your Console it's time to take a step back and sort that out before actually using the editor; this is not usual behavior. Are there any other errors unrelated to ASE?

What Unity version where you using in the shot with the console visible?

Please elaborate.

Not sure I understand what you need regarding rotation, do you want to create a billboard?

"How can I make the noise be applied as world coordinates ? or rotate the UV ? whats the way to handle it ?"

What's the context? There's a UV Rotator node, but I'm not sure that's what you're looking for.

Hey there,

ASE Shaders can be used in other projects without the editor, they work just like regular shaders.

That's not an image of a Material using an ASE shader, where exactly are you seeing that? Please provide additional details, looks like the Default Unity Material on a model, we would be happy to point you in the right direction.

sabojako likes this.
  31. Kali2048

Kali2048

Sorry for the confusion
    Let's say I want my grass shader to move the vertex on the world X axis, even if I rotate my instance to any angle, its vertex should always move on the world X axis. How can I achieve that?
    (Right now if I rotate my instance 90Deg, its vertex will move on the world Z axis instead)
    Does that make any sense? :p

32. Kali2048

Kali2048

I just found out that disabling SRP Batcher and enabling Dynamic Batching solves the problem. Is that normal ?

33. DatoKiknavelidze

DatoKiknavelidze

Thank you very much for the reply, just sent you email with sahder package

34. Hellwaiker

Hellwaiker

Hello I have Unity 2019.3 and Latest Amplify Shader from asset store.
    The Simple terrain example shader has a bug. If you add 5 textures the 5th texture comes out all black when you paint it.
    I think there is a problem with Addpass shader (It is what handles more than 4 textures)

DatoKiknavelidze likes this.
  35. petey

petey

Hi there, I wanted to make an X-ray shader using stencils, (rather than the way the example file handles it). Is there a way to combine a stencil shader for the X-ray (when behind objects) with a normal surface shader? I'm really struggling with Muti pass shaders.

36. TextusGames

TextusGames

That was Unity 2019.3.11.
    I have restarted the project and there were no more errors in console. I do not know exact steps for double saving issue and may be it was related to errors in console. I will inverstigate more while I work with ASE.

By the way. I find a writing in custom expression very painful. Is there a feature request to add file mode in custom expression node as alternative to innate text arrea. ( like in shader graph custom function node ). Because writting in Rider is much more convinient than in plain text area.

Also once(four times actually) I had a very funny issue than I somehow (definetly not intentionally) duplicated custom function node instead of some lines of text. And the worst one was than duplicated node appeared just exactly on top of existing custon node (seems like an issue), Wheras it should be duplicated with offset (usually duplivcation happens with offset). I worked in that new unconnected custom expression node and was very puzzled why changes I write are not working wheras I knew they should work. Then I solved the issue i smiled, but before that i experienced a series of frustrations. It seems to me it is related to same "not cleared input on save problem".

As you can see my meeting jorney with ASE was somewhat painful, and I wanted to quit several times. But was determenistic and was able to find the origin of several problems. Now I can use a benefits ASE provides. I hope it was worth it in long term context

EDITED.
    So duplication of custom expression node is happening than I press on this node select any text in left text area and press cntrl + D (it is pretty common shortcat for duplicating text in my text editor (Rider)). Selected lines is not duplicated and it seems like nothing happened. (SInce cntrl + D is not supported in text area it fall back into graph editor). But in fact, the whole custom expression node was duplicated and focused and all your further work is made on this uncannected node. The worst thing is that it was duplicated beneath the text area and you do not see that it was happened.
    This behaviour should be fixed.
    Important!. if you work in text area none of shortcuts should fall back into graph editor!
    (Except cntrl + s)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  37. zackblack

zackblack

I'm also trying to figure out how to disable the specular highlight on a Universal/PBR shader, but plugging in this node doesn't seem to affect anything. Unity 2019.3.11f1, URP 7.3.1, and latest ASE from asset store.

38. o1o101

o1o101

Yea this didn’t end up working for me either.

39. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Sorry, not sure I fully understand; perhaps an example can do the trick. If it's being moved in world space, rotating it will probably not look as you expect but it should still be moving in the same axis.

Depends, we need to see what's up.

Thanks, we will look into it as soon as possible.

We've got back to you on Discord, please don't duplicate questions ;)

For other users, removing the Splat tag should do it; be sure to check the available documentation.
    http://wiki.amplify.pt/index.php?title=Unity_Products:Amplify_Shader_Editor/Terrain_Shaders

What has been your experience so far with the Stencil example? Have you had a chance to try that?

Thanks for the details, please try to identify the exact steps that caused the problem. If you see any errors on the console, please contact us immediately.

Thank you for your suggestion regarding the file inclusion. Keep in mind that you can also add your own cginc files in the Output Node tab, could be a better alternative in some situations.

Duplication offsets the node, I can see how this might not work in a crowded area; perhaps we need to be more strict here.

To be clear, that's unexpected/unreported behavior:
    -In this report, we would have needed to know if you used CTRL-D, Copy+Paste.

Depends on what you mean by save problem, we did find and correct a save problem that will be fixed in the next update.

Completely understand, this is definitely not the first experience we wish you had with ASE. Our editor is fairly stable, as many of our users will attest, this type of issues are quite uncommon but, when found, dealt with promptly.

However, when reporting such issue, we ask that you, and any other user, provide exact steps on how to replicate the problem. As an example, consider the duplication issue; a message like that sends alarm bells to the entire team; not having details on what exactly is happening is not ideal.

So, to be clear for other users, you were using CTRL-D, which is used in Unity to duplicate "objects"; thank you for elaborating.

Not allowing duplication in that specific instance is a good corner case, we will take note of that for a future update.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    TextusGames likes this.
  40. Kali2048

Kali2048

Yes, that's what I meant about rotating it.
    My only goal here is to be able to control how much noise is applied per world axis (not per local axis).
    I was thinking about using a triplannar node to fix that rotation but I'm not sure it's worth the cost ...

I've sent you the shader by email a few days ago, please let me know if you need more info.
    Thanks for your help and patience :)

41. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Ah yes, just saw it! Sorry about that, we have a bit of a backlog, we're currently going over all emails.

Thank you for your patience!

42. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Strange, please try it again and make sure that the property name is correct.
    http://paste.amplify.pt/view/raw/173e4e57

upload_2020-4-30_15-5-50.png

We would be happy to examine a sample if this is not working as expected on your side.

43. Createman

Createman

Is there a way to make/use terrain holes in a ASE terrain shader? How should I modify the included terrain shaders?

44. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Is it possible to have a shader switch to another branch when a certain distance is reached?
    For example turn off toon outline when too far to see it (could be a fixed distance)
    Think geometry LOD for shaders.

45. TextusGames

TextusGames

The "If" node should work.

46. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Not sure about the full implications of what you need to build but you can use an opacity mask for simple stuff.

While distance based control would be possible, you wont be able to trigger a Static Switch in that manner; all other methods will still run your calculations, such as with the If node.

We've been working on adding LOD's, it's not quite ready yet but you can try it out. Alternatively, using separate shaders is perfectly acceptable; remember that you can customize any shader with our Template System.

You'll have to edit an existing template(using URP here) to unlock the hidden feature; add /*ase_lod*/ above the CustomEditor line.

The Outline Node itself, given how it's used, cannot be toggled. As a workaround, we usually recommend adjusting the alpha.

More soon!

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  47. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Adjusting the outline alpha won't skip the double reverted render of the object...
    How do you recommend I do a more efficient toon outline? It's currently eating up 20% of the polycount (not in the defered shadow pass I guess)

48. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

If a post-effect solution is not an option for you, try using the "old method" where you use a second material(or mesh) for the actual outline. (basically drawing it with the faces flipped and with a slight offset).

The outline technique is really limited, sadly there's not much we can do at the moment.

49. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

that old method is what i use, is there a post process method which gives good results? all the ones i've tried black out at grazing angle

50. LoknarStudio

LoknarStudio

Hi, I wanted to ask if its possible to get proper baked shadows from ASE cutout shader. I tried various settings in Blend mode with no luck, I'm using Transparent Cutout with Alpha Test. The default Unity shader produces baked shadows just fine. I'm posting image of example showing Baked Lightmap view. Tested on Unity 2018/2019.3 and latest ASE.
    Thank you! Shadow_Bake.jpg