Search Unity

1. Get the latest news, tutorials and offers directly to your inbox with our newsletters. Sign up now.
    Dismiss Notice

[Best Tool Asset Store Award] Amplify Shader Editor - Node-based Shader Creation Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Sep 13, 2016.

1. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hello Ricardo, here are two images illustrating the result I am getting and the current shader network. With geometry that is merged everything is all good but with my actual character the geometry is all separate pieces. Maybe using an Xray shader for an 'obstacle-see-through' solution just isn't viable with characters that are made up of separate pieces. As mentioned in my previous post, the distance falloff network I just grabbed from someone else's post in this forum.

In essence I like the look of the Xray effect when behind obstacles but want to get it so that it only works within or beyond(?) a set distance. Just let me know if I am barking up the wrong tree with this as I do understand that a better or proper see-through solution is through masking and the camera (not shaders) - which I will need to conquer much later on in development or start investigating now.

XrayCharacterExample.jpg XrayDistanceFalloffSetup.jpg

2. dvfs789

dvfs789

i want the distortion of the sword like this.
    can you show me the node?
    searching but not found tutorial :(

3. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thank you for elaborating, we appreciate it!

As one of our developers mentioned earlier, this is trickier than it seems because of how Unity handles the rendering order. Since both objects share the same material, their render queue is exactly the same and the order they are drawn is entirely up to Unity. Since this effect depends on what is or isn't written over the depth buffer it won't work for two objects using it. (Or better, it sometimes work)

Our recommendation here is to try using a Stencil for the Xray effect(we provide a Stencil sample to get you started). Alternatively, it might be simpler to use an existing Image Effect solution.

You could try to fade it based on distance but it's not an ideal solution, might not work too well depending on how you have it setup up. Here's an example: http://paste.amplify.pt/view/raw/8084d74f (paste into canvas)

Check our refraction samples, simple and shadows; it's a good example to get you started. Our Particle Template sample uses a heat haze effect that could also be helpful.

4. Amplify_RnD_Rick

Amplify_RnD_Rick

Hey guys,

New build uploaded to our website.

Here are the release notes.
    Release Notes v1.7.8 rev 01:
    • New HDRP Templates:
      • Hair
      • Fabric
    • New Shader Function:
      • Inverse Lerp
      • Inverse operation of the 'Lerp' node
    • Improvements:
      • Update HD templates to v.7.1.8 and above
    • Fixes:
      • Fixed issue with 'Component Mask' node preview not correctly showing alpha channel in all situations
    Happy shader creations!

KRGraphics likes this.
  5. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Let us know, we're also going to prepare a sample or two for it.

6. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I
    I was tweaking my cloth materials and unfortunately, the object turned black, even with a diffusion profile on it. Also, I am playing with Hair... will get back to you guys when I have some playtime

7. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This is IMPRESSIVE!!! My hair is looking SO MUCH better... even without transmission atm. I will have to author some new maps to get the hair where I want it...And ensure the speculars are taking the normal map and alpha into account.

Also, I would love to have some of the shading models internally, like Kayija-Kay and Marschner...
    upload_2020-3-3_10-5-1.png upload_2020-3-3_10-0-30.png Screenshot 2020-03-03 09.54.09.png

Rowlan likes this.
  8. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi. Since Unity 2019.3.1f1+ i get this error on scene start.
    Amplify Shader Editor v1.7.8
    Build and Shaders are working.

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. AmplifyShaderEditor.SceneSaveCallback.OnWillSaveAssets (System.String[] paths) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Menu/SceneSaveCallback.cs:24)
    3. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    4. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    5. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    6. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <437ba245d8404784b9fbab9b439ac908>:0)
    7. UnityEditor.AssetModificationProcessorInternal.OnWillSaveAssets (System.String[] assets, System.String[]& assetsThatShouldBeSaved, System.String[]& assetsThatShouldBeReverted, System.Boolean explicitlySaveAsset) (at <9a184ab867bb42c296d20ace04f48df3>:0)
    8. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    Any idea what to do?
    I resaved all subscenes and used Amplify Shaders.
    For now no change.

9. lordzeon

lordzeon

Hi, im trying to make a shader to replace the trailRenderer Shader, i want to use a texture in the trail, but also use the gradient opacity... i can do that work, but not both at the same time... if i add the gradient to control the opacity... the color is changed. Someone know why albedo is overriden if there is a gradient? there is some way to avoid that?

Attached Files:

10. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hello Ricardo, thanks for that information. I guess that I really need to investigate what solutions give the best performance as I am targeting mobile platforms. I will stick with the Xray for now as it is still very much early days and at least that will allow me to test the underlying gameplay as I go along with production.

I really like how ASE is coming along now and am looking forward to finally getting a chance to use it in a project - my last one was a collaboration job and unfortunately the pin was pulled by the programmer late last year so I didn't get as much time is ASE as I would have liked.

11. spvn

spvn

Hey just to check. Both toggle switch and static toggle don't work with the Outline Node right? Seems like it's because the Outline effect is on a separate pass. Is there anyway to toggle the Outline effect from the material inspector?

12. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hello, is it possible to make a Float (property type) Min/Max range go from 0-100 (the easy part) but when it is piped into a Material Property like perhaps Smoothness, that the Smoothness Slider range in the Inspector also goes from 0-100 (instead of just staying at 0-1)? Or is the 0-1 range like some kind of absolute standard with Unity3d Materials etc?

13. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there, thanks for the heads-up. That's a bit odd since we didn't change anything there, are you using any other plugins that could somehow affect this process? Can you replicate the issue on an empty project?

Seems to be working as expected; be sure to check the available documentation. You can access it directly by pressing F1 with the node selected.

No problem, hope you find a technique that works well for your project.

You're correct, you cannot toggle the Outline node; you can chance its opacity to hide it.

You can set whatever value you may need, how are you setting it? We could use an example, or very small sample.

14. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hey. An empty project workd fine because. The error is related to Amplify, isn ´t it?
    I build the up the scene since Unity 2018 with Ampify. The issue first came up in Unity 2019.3x.

15. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there,

Hard to say without examining a sample, we didn't change anything there so it shouldn't be causing any problems. We also don't have any reports of similar issues, could be something in your project.

Are you using any other plugins?

Thanks!

16. MudPuppet

MudPuppet

Hello Ricardo, actually I am just using the Community/DissolveBurn shader and just trying to get the Dissolve Amount (Float) to work with any other Max value than 1 and then I can access that value in the Inspector via code. Basically I was considering using it on a player in conjunction with player damage/health so that every time the player's health goes down the dissolve amount increases hopefully showing some damage underneath. If I can change the Float Max Value to match whatever the Player's health value ends up being I can perhaps cut out some math headaches with the code that connects the Dissolve Float to the Player Health. Hopefully this makes sense ;)

17. lordzeon

lordzeon

Hi Ricardo, thanks for your reply.. i did exactly what you´ve sent, i made it work, but now i have 2 problems...
    1) gradient alpha doesn´t seem to work correctly, even if i get the alpha output of the sample directly to opacity it is ignored, the only way to make it work is like your example, using black for transparent...
    2) my gradient is in the other way, i mean, im using U instead of V mapping, i need to tile the texture along the trail (in trail renderer i can set "tile" texture mode), but i need the grandien´t opacity to strech along the trail, i whant to use it to blur start and end of trail... is that possible?

18. wonjung_unity

wonjung_unity

hi. i'm noob in unity. i just want to know how it works, shader editor and unity shader.
    i write some sample shader nodes and it makes unity shader code. maked code is almost understandable.
    but i can't understand how input texcoord run .
    for example i make a vertex texcoord node and texture texcoord node reference MainTexture.
    and compiled shader makes uv_texcoord, uv2_tex4coord2.
    it doesn't have anything that explain why they have value has attribute setted by shader editor.
    some of builtin shader input run like that, for example like uv_(reference texture name).
    but it doesn't seem be built in shader input.
    amplyfy shader has another preprocessor that allocate input value refer to shader editor node?
    if it true. can i get some explain about that?

19. midask89

midask89

Hi. my team use your asset. it's functionality is so good. but after our team upgrade unity engine 2017 to 2018, some shader makes 'too many texture interpolators...' error.

so we tried to many things to remove this error. we make all setting same as before but error did not disappear.
    and we modify shader code generated by node editor. and we compress and optimize it's calculations but it also not effectable.

finally we compare each version of shader assembly to find out it's reason. but they are so- different. it did not produce meaningful results. do you know this issue? and is there general solution for this?

20. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there, I understand what you mean now. That value is relative to the way the following nodes are setup; in this case changing it to 100 is not going to produce the same result.

You could Remap the slider amount so that it takes in your 0-100 range but still outputs 0-1 to to the following nodes. http://paste.amplify.pt/view/raw/3eac3c35 (paste into canvas)

Or simply multiply it: http://paste.amplify.pt/view/raw/fbab0016

Either way, it's probably best that you do this in the actual game code in order to avoid having to change the shader later on if you decide to use another range.

Please share a sample so that we can check it out.

We would need to know what shader type you're using but, for Surface Shaders, we are using the Unity generator for surface shaders; additional naming serves as a guide so that we know what's being handled since it reuses UV's.

Specifically, uv2_tex4coord2 means that it's UV set 2 with 4 UV channels, instead of the typical 2.

Let us know if this asnwers your question, we would be happy to elaborate.

Hey there, thanks for using ASE; great knowing that you've been using it since good old Unity 2017.

That limitation is not entirely specific to the shader, Unity it self adds to that overall count. We need to see the actual shader so that we can determine if there's anything we can suggest to improve your current setup. A higher Shader Model will allow for additional samples; I recommend increasing that if you have not already.

Feel free to reach to us via support@amplify.pt if you can't share the shader here.

Thanks!

21. wonjung_unity

wonjung_unity

thanks for your answers ricardo. your ansewr is good for me

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    Amplify_Ricardo likes this.
  22. Dmitry-Pyalov

Dmitry-Pyalov

Hi.

Can someone please describe, what is the meaning of hidden _texcoord propery which gets generated every time?

[HideInInspector] _texcoord( "", 2D ) = "white" {}

23. mxbrunner

mxbrunner

It's a preview issue in that it does not affect the actual shader, but the preview error propagates to subsequent nodes.
    So a relay node that displays the alpha originating from a component mask is also always just black.
    But the resulting shaders/materials are fine, i.e. different from the previews.
    So it's just annoying for developing the shaders, because it makes all the node previews wrong.

24. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Happy to help!

It's a placeholder sampler 2d that we use to ensure the Surface Shader generates the required coordinates on the fly. In your particular case, given that you're using a Sprite shader template you mentioned below, I'm not 100% sure what's happening there.

**edited for clarity

As with the __Dirty property, you may disregard it.

Thanks for reporting it! Be sure to update to the latest ASE version, let us know if the problem persists.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  25. Dmitry-Pyalov

Dmitry-Pyalov

I'm using a custom template based on Sprite shader. And I get this hidden property whenever I add Texture Sampling. This hidden property is not used neither in the final shader, nor in the template though. Do I understand correctly that it is used for Editor kind of stuff. I'm not seeing the gradient you have mentioned or don't understand what you mean.

26. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Sorry, should have gone into more detail. It's a placeholder sampler 2d that we use to ensure the Surface Shader generates the required coordinates on the fly. In your particular case, given that you're using a Sprite shader template, I'm not 100% sure what's happening there.

Can you share a sample to support@amplify.pt so that one of our developers can examine it? We would be happy to elaborate based on your specific case.

Thanks!

27. talofen

talofen

Every time I update Amplify shader, I get two errors that refer to the same issue:

Assets\AmplifyShaderEditor\Plugins\Editor\Utils\IOUtils.cs(230,27): error CS0029: Cannot implicitly convert type 'UnityEditor.VersionControl.Task' to 'Task'
    Assets\AmplifyShaderEditor\Plugins\Editor\Utils\IOUtils.cs(231,20): error CS1061: 'Task' does not contain a definition for 'Wait' and no accessible extension method 'Wait' accepting a first argument of type 'Task' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

The error refers to this block of code:

Code (CSharp):
    1.                 Asset loadedAsset = Provider.GetAssetByPath( FileUtil.GetProjectRelativePath( pathName ) );
    2.                 if( loadedAsset != null )
    3.                 {
    4.                     //Task statusTask = Provider.Status( loadedAsset );
    5.                     //statusTask.Wait();
    6.                     //if( Provider.CheckoutIsValid( statusTask.assetList[ 0 ] ) )
    7.                     {
    8.                         Task checkoutTask = Provider.Checkout( loadedAsset, CheckoutMode.Both );
    9.                         checkoutTask.Wait();
    10.                     }
    11.                 }
    It can be corrected changing one line as follows:

Code (CSharp):
    1.                         UnityEditor.VersionControl.Task checkoutTask = Provider.Checkout( loadedAsset, CheckoutMode.Both );
    Am I the only one getting the error? Perhaps you could correct it, beacuse it's quite annoying having to correct it every time and I'm not 100%sure the correction is….correct! :)

Thank you,
    Andre

28. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thanks for the heads-up, I will pass it on to one of our devs; we have not seen any recent reports of this issue.

This is usually caused by a conflict with another script that's not in its correct namespace; can you confirm that it's not the case on your side?

Thanks!

29. keeponshading

keeponshading

Yes. I use other assets but
    the error leads me to 24 from SceneSaveCallback.cs

1. AmplifyShaderEditor.SceneSaveCallback.OnWillSaveAssets (System.String[] paths) (at Assets/AmplifyShaderEditor/Plugins/Editor/Menu/SceneSaveCallback.cs:24)

30. Zenneth

Zenneth

31. IDreamofIndie

IDreamofIndie

I'm having an issue where the colors are wrong in the shader canvas. As shown in image, textures in the texture sample vary from the input texture. It has effect on other nodes. Is there a way to fix this? I have tried reinstalling the asset and it is still like this.

AmplifyColorIssue.png

32. Recon03

Recon03

Hi question and just curious... is there support yet, so we can make HDRP base shaders. for foliage.?

I know Unity has nothing yet. just curious.

Thanks.

33. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

One of our developers will examine your report. While this is usually caused by a conflict with another script that's not in its correct namespace; it could be something on our side.
    Not without additional scripts; regarding this specific application. I could be wrong here but I think the Staggart solution includes a simple tool to generate the "pigment map" which is then used to tint the grass. You can generate this map as you see fit, should work as long as you can position it correctly in world space.

The previews render in the linear color space so unless you specify an sRGB texture the results will always show in Linear mode. However, this shouldn't affect the output of your shader, is it rendering correctly?

We currently only provide what HDRP offers; Lit, Unlit, Fabric and Hair.

Thanks!

34. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

You can start with a standard HDRP shader. For things like grass and leaves, you can enable Transmission and turn on double sided polygons. To get the variation in leaf colours for things like fall or extra details... you would have to create a second UV set just for the leaves and use a special mask that will allow you to change the hue, saturation, and brightness of the leaves based on colours from that mask

For tree bark and logs, you can use POM and tessellation to sell the look of complex detail

Recon03 and Amplify_Ricardo like this.
  35. keeponshading

keeponshading

Thanks a lot. I also did an complete reimport of my project in Unity 2019.3.4f1
    Took some time because of 140GB.
    The issue is still there.

My last last idea is that it could be related with Adressables. I use the latest Package Manager version .
    However. Without Adressables i could not test my project.

As simple Test on your side you could make an empty scene with an cube and an Amplify Shader and then mark this scene as Adressable before build content and build.
    But this is only my last idea.

36. talofen

talofen

Hi, thank you for your prompt response. What exactly do you mean with "a script that is not in its correct namespace"? I'm sorry, English is not my first language....
    I have no other issues and the project is a rather big one...all my other scripts work and I get no other errors...

37. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Not entirely familiar with Addressables, but we would be happy to examine a sample if you're able to replicate it on a smaller test project. Let me get back to you on that.

What other plugins are you using? Editor plugins like PEEK for example.

From the description, it seems that it could be a namespace issue but we'll confirm that as soon as one of our developer is able to examine your case.

It might be caused by a conflicting identical class name without a namespace specific to your project, it is always good practice for classes to be declared inside a proper namespace to ensure this issue doesn't happen with other plugins. Have you ran a search with Visual Studio to determine if that's the case?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  38. Filto

Filto

I am trying to use local vertex offset but I can't figure out how to offset in the correct axis. It offsets by default in a 45 degree angle (ish) instead of the objects normal. It seems to involve object to world matrix but I can't for the life seems to get a hang of the correct procedure.

Attached Files:

39. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there, you'll need a few additional nodes for that, simply plugging the texture does not define the behaviour that you're looking for.

e.g. We do this http://paste.amplify.pt/view/raw/77c05b55 (paste link into canvas) in our Tessellation sample to multiply our height texture by the object Vertex Normals.

If you simply want to offset the vertex position, you'll need to go to your Output Node's settings and set the 'Vertex Output' parameter to 'Absolute', which will change the Local Vertex Offset port to Local Vertex Position. This way, the surface's shape won't be altered due to vertex manipulation since, instead of offsetting each vertex from its relative position, it will offset them in absolute world space direction.

What are you looking to build?

40. Filto

Filto

Perfect! Thank you for quick response. I got it now :)

41. UXeyeway

UXeyeway

hello.
    I'm running unity 2019.2.21f1 with the latest version of ASE.
    working on a project using LWRP I've encountered a weird problem using the time node.
    for some reason instead of providing values in an additive way, it creates this sinus movement effect. (attached gif)
    anyone knows what this is about? the problem doesn't occur with unity's built in renderer.

42. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hey there, this problem has actually already been fixed, please update ASE.

You can always get the latest version from our website.

43. UXeyeway

UXeyeway

thank you for the fast reply, it works now.

44. talofen

talofen

You were absolutely right. I had
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public delegate void Task()
    out of the namespace of a script. BTW, it was also a remainder of an obsolete version of the script, so I could safely delete it from my script.

Thank you, and sorry I bothered.

45. Amplify_RnD_Rick

Amplify_RnD_Rick

Hey guys,

New build up on our website.
    Here are the release notes.

Release Notes v1.7.8 rev 02:
    • New Property Attributes:
      • Remap Sliders attribute for Vector2 node that creates a min-max slider in the 0-1 range
      • Single Line Texture attribute for texture properties nodes that minimizes texture object field into single line fields
    • Fixes:
      • Fixed fog color and ambient color node values in HDRP
      • Fixed issue with Fabric and Hair HDRP templates not correctly writing to depth offset in all shader passes
      • Fixed custom expression precision types that didn't respect the selected choice in all cases and added a new Inherit option
      • Fixed possible issue with saving files when path is null
    • Improvements:
      • Improved loading of shaders by preventing unnecessary loads of other types of assets
      • Added warning with fix button to diffusion profile property drawer for when profile isn't present in the profile list
      • Shader functions names now have automatic spacing when searched in the palette
      • Added a direct dependency check for shader function files that allows to search which shaders and shader function are currently directly using it
      • Templates context entry generation is now done by name to prevent random sorting
    Happy shader creations!

46. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

No problem at all, very common issue, happy to help.

47. Murgilod

Murgilod

In case anyone else is pulling their hair out like I was trying to solve this problem: it turns out that if you have GitHub for Unity installed (yes, as in the official GitHub plugin), you'll just start getting this error. I'm not sure why it is or how to solve it though.

syscrusher likes this.
  48. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

That's an awesome tip, we now have something to test on our side.

Thanks for the heads-up!

49. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey, guys. Anyone have information on creating Post processing Shaders using ASE? I want to create a spec debug where I can show all of the rendering channels in the game view?

50. Drenyn

Drenyn

Having issues using the Custom Lighting Toon Shader example provided with Amplify, creating just an empty scene with the default directional light the back side of the sphere is really dark, it looks like there might be an issue with there not being enough indirect light or the toon map being too dark. I'm not fluent enough in AME to know.

Attached Files:

unityunity