Search Unity

Best Terrain Tool for Flight Simulator

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShrikeHawk, Jan 21, 2017.

1. ShrikeHawk

ShrikeHawk

I'm interested in creating a flight simulator, and I'm trying to decide what is the best terrain tool for it. There's a lot of impressive-looking ones out there, so I'm trying to research before buying.

I feel like I will need very large terrains. Standing on a hill, you can see about 20 miles, from 10,000 feet up, you can see a lot farther. So terrains would necessarily be big. That means framerates would be a concern. Does WorldStreamer sound like a good option? Perhaps the TerrainSticher be handy as well? I feel like with many of these tools, I would need to make many terrains and glue them together, yes?

I love seeing tree leaves fluttering and grass waving in the demos I've seen, but for my sim that's not a huge concern. Trees and grasses don't need to be animated, necessarily. I see a lot about "procedural" development, and that's fine, but I would like to place landmarks (rivers, mountains) for at least a minimum of historical accuracy.

I already have WorldComposer. It's very cool, but obviously doesn't place any trees. I need to be able to add them, hopefully. Also the area I want to simulate ( North & South-Western China) has poor satellite pics. The terrains need a lot of touchup. A terrain editor would be nice if it played well with WorldComposer or at least use the heightmaps from it.

I'm a newbie at this, but I don't mind putting in the time to learn tools. I just want avoid spinning my wheels with something unsuitable. So far, Gaia looks like the best option. I would just like to know if anyone has a better suggestion for a terrain tool.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Rombie

Rombie

TerrainComposer2 (from the creator of WorldComposer) will allow for massive terrains which can be tiled and then set for streaming in chunks with World Streamer. TerrainComposer will place trees and details according to how you configure so you won't have to mess around with manual placement unless necessary. I own the two and they play really nice together and you can create some pretty impressive landscapes; worth having a look at.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/65563

Also, you should be able to take terrains from WorldComposer to TerrainComposer to finalize details.

ShrikeHawk likes this.
  3. ShrikeHawk

ShrikeHawk

Thanks kindly for the reply. Any reason why you wouldn't suggest Gaia?

4. Rombie

Rombie

Out of the box TerrainComposer supports multi-tile terrains while Gaia currently doesn't; but that should change at some update in the future.

They are both great products, and I would recommend buying them both. For my personal projects I use TerrainComposer + Gena and the workflow has been pretty solid.

ShrikeHawk likes this.