Search Unity

Best sound effect library?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Denisowator, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Denisowator

Denisowator

I know this has nothing to do with Unity or games. But then what does it have to do with, except for game sound effects.

So anyway, I want to know if there's a website where there's so much sounds and sound effects that you need a bazillion Zettabites to store. ;)

It doesn't matter if it's free or not. As long as a single sound effect doesn't cost £5 or more.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  2. michaelhartung

michaelhartung

This is a very broad question that is not easy to answer. There are many really good effect libraries available online. It really depends on what you're looking for.

But it's with all things: You get what you pay for.

For free sound effects there's freesound and opengameart (quality of effects vary, well it's free ;)).
    For paid sound effects you can check the following sites.
    If you're looking for a base library that gets you setup then the ProSoundEffects hybrid bundle might be a good choice:
    Also, for £5 / sound you'll probably find a Sound Designer (like myself ;)) who would create sounds specifically tailored to your needs!

Hope that helps!

Meltdown likes this.
  3. Denisowator

Denisowator

Thank you so much. :D

4. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Nice to see that you got helped already. :D

But I'm curious.
    What type of sound effects, are you specifically looking for? :cool:

5. Denisowator

Denisowator

No idea. xD
    I've never worked with sound, but I know that what I'm looking for is not gonna into the regular categories since it's not a cliche game where you use footsteps, wind, doors closing and opening, people talking, items being used like knives or guns.

It's really hard to explain, you're basically a floating ball, in a square where there's gonna be a path cut into it, and you have to get to the end without touching any of the walls or obstacles. Now, imagine that with no textures or no materials used at all. It's gonna look really *robotic*, and therefore I'll have to use lots sci-fi style machine, and non-existent sounds.

It's gonna be basically a lot of sounds made the same way the Wookiee shout or whatever was made, I'm gonna have to combine alot of sounds, maybe change their pitch, speed, and some other stuff, to get what I'm looking for.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  6. Denisowator

Denisowator

Hi, I couldn't find a single sound from any of the websites that you mentioned, as well as from some others that I found myself. The only thing that came really close to what I need is the "Designed Whooshes" from chuckrussomfx.com, but I'm not willing to spend £55 for a large set of sound effects that I'm probably not even gonna use. And as I said in my previous reply, I never worked with sound, so the only way in which I could figure out which sounds I'm gonna use, is by actually using them and combining them to see if they make the sound effects that I want. Which obviously is not worth paying £55 for.

So please reply, and we'll talk more in-depth about what I need, so you can make it for me, for that £5.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  7. lightance

lightance

8. ivomarkovic

ivomarkovic

Check the Sounddogs Desktop App, it's a SFX Subscription & Free Application: app.sounddogs.com

The main goal of the app is to integrate sounds effects directly to the sound editor workflow. The subscription-based license system avoids dealing with browsers and download links.
    -Fast Search and Preview
    -Direct, Single and Bulk Download
    -Drag & Drop

The App is also a FREE management tool for local sound effects libraries.

9. LabMatti

LabMatti

10. Gabbimonkey

Gabbimonkey

Check out https://freetousesounds.com. Thousands of high quality and royalty free sound effects creates as libraries that can be downloaded for free via Bandcamp.

11. mgear

mgear

12. mourioche

mourioche

13. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Four years have passed, and the autumn leaves and the cherry blossoms have fallen. And I ask myself.............How the heck did I forget to respond? Or did I, and for some strange reason, my post didn't post due to bad internet?:confused:

Okay. After reading your reply, I think the best thing here for you, and anyone reading this topic, would be to make your own sound effects. I know, making sound effects is kinda hard, and takes a while to learn. But there is a high chance, you might not find the sound you are looking for, on the net. And yeah, that combining sounds idea thing, is a good idea too.

PS: Aye! Someone bumped this old thread. Good thing too. Lol!:)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  14. PaulStew

PaulStew

Found this website lately: https://yourfreesounds.com. Interesting independent sound library with lots of free stuff (attribution or license key required).

15. danys7

danys7

A12Acorns likes this.
  16. zaxavar

zaxavar

Try directory.audio - large catalog of sound effects and music under a Creative Commons license. If you can't find the sound you want, you can create a request there and it will be added to the library.