Search Unity

Best solution for turn based game?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by DarkSlash, Jan 19, 2016.

1. DarkSlash

DarkSlash

I'm writing a turn based game. Imagine, for example, a chess game. I got all the logic done for 2 players in the same computer. But now I want to make it for 2 players online. My considerations are:

-The game is just for 1player vs 1 player.
    -There're 2 teams. Players from team 1 will be playing against players from team 2.
    -I need match making!
    -All player will login into the same server, and the server will control the movement process, save high-scores, etc.

What's the best solution or approach I can follow? Using an already made server (which and why?) or using the native Unity functions? I don't want to use the Unity server option for now. Any suggestions?

2. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

Take a look at Project Orleans http://github.com/dotnet/orleans if you want to develop the server yourself. It will make it a hell lot easier than doing it all on your own. You can add a WebAPI layer in from and use Unity's new JSONUtility to convert data that you send and receive. Also Photon Server can be used for the matter. Later on in 5.4 when unity releases server library that might become an option too. Also there are several third party platforms like gamesparks and hydra and playfab and .... which have related functionality which I can not evaluate for your case.