Search Unity

Best solution for realistic hair in Unity?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Devconone, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Devconone

Devconone

Hey all,
    I just wanted to get any shouts in about what people are using for Hair dynamics simulations in Unity?

I'm trying to get as realistic hair as possible, real-time optimisation and interaction not essential.

Looking at the options available, it seems to be:
    • use Unity cloth on some limited hair cards
    • use the Hair Designer plugin (which look reasonable for short hair or fur, but I can't see any convincing shots of long hair dynamics)
    • Import a pre-baked Alembic animation of hair dynamics from an external package.

Any of the really promising hair plugins for Unity such as Neofur, nVidia HairWorks, and Shpakivinia's Hair Tool all seem to be discontinued.

What does anyone looking for decent hair do these days? And if an Alembic is the best way to go, does anyone have any good suggestions for hassle-free software to generate this?

Any insights greatly appreciated! Many thanks

2. matheosx

matheosx

So sorry that nobody say anything, because this is a huge...((
    I don't even know what to do with the abc file in Unity, not to mention SDK nvidia hair stuff
    with GitHub parts and all super complicated explained in some thread I found today, and then...when I open Iclone 7 and press play on default hair example, looks like 23th century comparing Unity attempts so fare

3. Devconone

Devconone

Hi matheosx, thanks for getting back.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to get a lot of attention. I suspect that most Unity projects are happy to stick a little cloth sim on the end of a short hairstyle, and that will work for even a quality title. Anything more and you're looking at AAA studio efforts, as it's generally an add-on to make character's slightly more realistic, and not needed in most cases.

You can bring an .abc Alembic file into Unity with this importer:
    https://github.com/unity3d-jp/AlembicForUnity
    It's been working pretty reliably for me so far, but it only supports a single material, so if the simulation needs more than one texture/material, it needs to be exported as separate Alembic files for each mat used.

Using iClone or something similar to simulate cloth dynamics on hair cards, and then exporting as an Alembic may be the best option I've seen.

4. Simod

Simod

To matheosx, devconone.

I know it's a bit late. We did this recently using Unity Cloth and HairWorks. Both techs are running well, except they won't interact with each other.

5. steveh2112

steveh2112

hi, hair composer is 125 euro!
    can anyone explain how to use unity cloth for hair? thanks

6. khos

khos

Did you get any solution yet? I guess using a hair like texture on cloth will be a start?

7. methusalah999

methusalah999

3 - Cover.jpg

Take a loo at HairStudio ! available now on the asset store.

GilCat likes this.
  8. spikezart

spikezart

9. methusalah999

methusalah999

I doubt it will. HairStudio targets high end hardware and will only be available for HDRP in the future.

10. spikezart

spikezart

ok thanks for letting me know. Im firmly in URP for the medium term but if I move to HDRP I'll definitely purchase.