Search Unity

Best site to hire Unity 3d developer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KaraZee, May 28, 2020.

1. KaraZee

KaraZee

We are looking to hire a freelance remote Unity 3D developer for a iOS app. What is the best site to do so? We have already posted on angel and indeed.

thanks
    Kara

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

KaraZee likes this.
  3. KaraZee

KaraZee

4. Kevathiel

Kevathiel

gameDevClassifieds is horrible. It's filled with amateurs and you will be spammed with Audio guys.
    I would recommend proper freelance sites like Upwork. You will get a nice overview about their experience, reviews by their past clients, how much they earned, etc and also get payment protection.

5. neginfinity

neginfinity

Unfortunately, upwork has draconian privacy-invading application to monitor "worker's" activity, and people who know what they're worth are unlikely to put up with it. (opinion) I would not recommend it.

6. Kevathiel

Kevathiel

You don't have to use the tracker.. I have been using Upwork for years as a freelancer. Manual time tracking or fixed price jobs only.

7. neginfinity

neginfinity

As far as I'm aware, that voids payment protection.
    https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068488-Add-Manual-Time

However, I'll admit that I haven't been active on Upwork since vworker acquirisition. I was thoroughly disgusted by time tracker app and was much happier working with people directly since.

The situation back then was largely the same as what you said about gameDevClassifieds - on all freelance resources. Regardless to where you apply, the client would be flooded by ton of people trying to underbid while lacking qualification.

Maybe situation changed since. Though I doubt that.

8. Kevathiel

Kevathiel

Only manual time does. And it's a week that you waste at most. But you can see the clients history(and reviews) for potential issues beforehand. Also, the alternative in this case(some reddit forum..) won't give you any protection at all.

About the flood, reddit is far far worse to manage. You end up with a bunch of private messages you have to manually check through(where many people are even just audio guys, unrelated to the ad..). Upwork lets you filter and sort them in a quick overview. You can see if a freelancer is a professional with a quick glance on their number of finished jobs, hourly rate, money earned and their job success score.

Also, the whole fact that freelancers got to pay to apply(20-60 cents) keeps a lot of garbage away, though there is still a lot.

9. Murgilod

Murgilod

I've used gamedevclassifieds for years and it is on par with every single freelancing site.

10. neginfinity

neginfinity

You just gave a good reason to avoid the site. Actually I think either rentacoder or getafreelancer or some other early platforms had this nonsense too. Charging for the bid or something like that.

Brings back the fun memories, when you try to land your very first contract, and every single person along the way tries to fleece you. Payoneer fees were quite fun to deal with.

Either way.

gamedevclassifieds, reddit or any random forum should be on par with average freelancing resource, as it is the same thing everywhere - you'll get a sea of incompetent or bad, some mediocre guys, few good ones and a few hidden gems underneath it all.

The chance for money loss can be dealt with by weekly milestones, or milestones in general, and by using upwork, you'd end up paying up to 20% more, because freelancer would need to offset service fees.

11. Kevathiel

Kevathiel

Well, I disagree with that. Charging keeps more lowballers and amateurs away, while professionals are not really affected by it.

No, you lack a lot of useful tools. With reddit you have no clue about the history of the freelancer, aside from their portfolio. It's also far more work to check them, because their soft skills could be garbage. Also, the volume is not there. I mean, just take a look at the sub right now and look for actual programmer ads.. No wanted ad in the past month(last one is from April 9th..) and only a few "for hire" every few days with questionable content(and post history..). How is that on par with anything? I don't think any real professional would even check the subreddit daily, given the lack of ads.

The 20% is actually not true. It's only 20% for the first 500$. If you work on a serious project, it's 5-10%. I found it worth it. Most of my clients are repeated work for 0-5%.

12. Murgilod

Murgilod

This has been proven to be absolutely untrue in a number of different places. Remember when people said this exact same thing about the $100 Greenlight fee on Steam? And then people went "well it should be per title" and then Valve did the exact same thing and nothing at all changed?

13. Kevathiel

Kevathiel

I like how you act like you know anything about it without even using the service..

Before the change, it was a horrible experience posting an ad to a point where I only posted private. Now it's at least manageable. It went from literally hundreds of proposals to a few dozen.

14. Murgilod

Murgilod

I have used the service, but please, tell me more about these things you know about me.

15. Kevathiel

Kevathiel

Sure you did. That's why you made the steam example instead of actual stating your experience with the said platform :rolleyes:

16. Murgilod

Murgilod

That's because it was an example of other places where it has also proven to be untrue?

Because... it's an example?

Are you always like this?

17. neginfinity

neginfinity

My experience tells me when a job offer comes with a paid test, then they want your money and not give you the job.
    Not sure why I should treat odesk, I mean upwork any different.

In the long term, such services only provide sense of false security. For example, upwork does not appear to be protecting against chargebacks, which makes it rather pointless. Same applies to most other platforms, by the way, and that's what both sides are paying for.

18. Kevathiel

Kevathiel

But it has no relevance? Also what about "other places where it has been proven to be untrue"?
    It's a fact that it worked for the site. Again, check out old ads with 100s of proposals and look at the current ones..

Only, when I call out bullshit.
    Just stick to the actual facts, but judging by your (huge) post history, you are always like this.

But it is different? It's not like a paid test at all. And if the client hires no one, you get your cents back in many cases.

Well, you are protected by the fact that you see your clients history(with reviews) and their total paid amount. While it's no perfect protection you should check your clients like you would elsewhere, with the exception you got more information available.

I don't want to sound like a salesman for their service, but it's ridiculous how you guys claim that it's on par with a subreddit, which had their last programmer ad over a month ago.. That is just facts.

19. Murgilod

Murgilod

You're judging by my post count but not the part where I've mentioned multiple times that I've done hiring consultation and hiring work in the past. You, however, came out of nowhere to... S*** on a subreddit?

Also, job requests are generally not what you use gamedevclassifieds for, you use it for job postings more than anything else.

20. Kevathiel

Kevathiel

In this specific case, it's irrelevant. The point was about the paid connects affecting anything. I just stated the fact that it did. I didn't have to make any unrelated example, because I stated facts about the platform. So stop grasping at straws..

Also, I didn't S*** on a sub. I stated my EXPERIENCE. When I tried to hire on it. You on the other hand felt the need to be offended for some reason. I also had to correct a lot of just plain wrong statements. I know that you are argumentative for no reason, which his why you are always participating on all arguments on this forum..

Also, among all of your nonsense, you didn't provide any argument for the sub. You said "it's on par" or your default, but yet not a single argument. Meanwhile, I gave plenty. From the specialized tools that help you to sieve through the sheer number of messages, to more information when hiring(with reviews an all), a bigger pool to choose from.

21. neginfinity

neginfinity

Guys/girls, use ignore lists instead of going at each other's throats.

Socrates and Kevathiel like this.
  22. Murgilod

Murgilod

I already did when it was clear from the last reply that this wasn't going anywhere

23. Kevathiel

Kevathiel

I didn't want to go at anyones throat, sorry if it came off that way. I just hate it when people provide answers without any reason, or worse make up unrelated arguments. Saying "x is the best" is not helpful at all. So I just tried to provide actual arguments.

But thanks, the ignore list is a good idea, especially for the future forum use.

24. MDADigital

MDADigital

Pretty crazy a business related site like this needs ignore function. I got a list of people to ignore from our CEO when I registered the account, one is even a moderator of the forum.

25. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Please keep it civil.

26. neginfinity

neginfinity

Any self-respecting site needs ignore function. Otherwise people will murder each other or endlessly fight.

Such is human nature, I believe.