Search Unity

Best setup to build for iOS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tinatotty91, May 28, 2019.

1. tinatotty91

tinatotty91

Hi,
    I'm doing some reaserch to find the best solution to build app for iOS. I started working with Unity less then a year ago and I'm working for a company where I mostly develop AR apps for Android and iOS. I usually developed them on my Dell XPS 15, where I build for Android, and then exoport the project to an old 2012 Mac Book Pro to build for iOS. This setup is less then ideal since the old Mac Book is extremely old and prone to crash at any time of the process, which makes the build time last an eternity.
    So my company has finally decided to invest on a Mac machine to make the process faster. This machine will be used to develop AR apps and build them for iOS. I will continue to use my Dell to develop and build for Android. I will mainly use Unity + Visual Studio 2019.
    For what I've gathered looking online, my options are:
    1. A Hackintosh is a bad idea because it would be a pain with the updates
    2. A MacBook Pro is the best choice, unless you need to work on extremely demanding projects, which at the moment is not my case. But is extremely expensive and I don't know if my company would approve the purchase.
    3. Someone uses a PC for development associated with a Mac Mini for building for iOS, but it's not clear if the Mac Mini alone would be suitable for development.
    What are you using to develop for iOS and what would you suggest me to buy?

2. ChazBass

ChazBass

Best option is to use a Mac and then use whatever you use for version control to sync the project on the build machine. While you could use a MacBook Pro (what I do), you can use a cheaper Mac, of course to do builds. In fact, if your doing a lot, I would recommend doing this since the machine will be more resilient from a cooling standpoint than a laptop.

You can also go cheap and then just get an external GPU if you need to run your game on the Mac as opposed to building. While I use GIT for version control, I also just use Collab to sync the project between my Windows 10 machine where I develop and my MacBook where I build iOS.

tinatotty91 likes this.