Search Unity

Best practise for designing floor pieces in mobile 2.5D platformer games?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by jas49, Aug 9, 2020.

1. jas49

jas49

Hi All,

I'm a newbie to game development, i'll try to explain the best i can.

I wanted to know what are the best practises for building floor pieces in mobile 2.5D platformer games. I've used Mario for an example (see image) as this is the style i will be mimicking as a practice run. The bottom section of the floor looks like it could be standard cubes with a world space texture applied so wherever you move the shape the texture will be consistent. The grass section is what i'm uncertain on. In the past i've made a corner piece and a flat section, such as Pic 1. Ive also tried just making the side sections and placed them to the cubes such as in Pic 2 and used a tri planar shader to add images to the sides and the top. I can see both pros and cons to either.

My 2 question are:
    • What is the best mesh shape for the grass section to mimic the Mario floor?
    • Should i texture the grass area by UVs or another projection shader?

Attached Files:

2. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

@jas49 I looked at both pics. Good work there, trying to replicate those grass tops.

Okay. Concerning the pic from the Mario game:
    The yellow sandy beach wafer looking platforms, with the green grass on top of it, might be one texture or texture atlas, applied to a single 3d model.

A simpler explanation on what I mean:

1) The green grass floor, and the sandy ground platform part, might be a single 3d mesh object and not two.

2) The grass, shadow under the grass, and the yellow orange sandy ground, might be a single texture atlas, and not many textures.

If my observation is correct, and it turns out that that is how nintendo did it, then doing it that way, might work well and perform well on mobile too.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020