Search Unity

Best Practices? Release an asset with shaders for all render pipelines

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by _EasR_, Dec 16, 2021.

1. _EasR_

_EasR_

I have an asset that I would like to release which includes both mechanics and graphics. Originally it was made in the built in render pipeline, but a URP shader has been created as well.

What is the recommended approach for providing HDRP, URP, and Standard RP in an asset store item?

2. BetaMark

BetaMark

The flow I prefer (as a buyer of assets) is that the asset on the asset store works out of the box with the built in renderer, but a wizard on import (or a note in the readme) explains that if I want to use either of the scriptable render pipelines, that I have to double click and import one of the two included unitypackage files which will overwrite all the existing materials, textures, and shaders with the ones designed for that target render pipeline.

This has the tiny downside that you have to include those two extra bundles for all asset downloads, which will bloat the download for everyone, but that only happens on the download for your asset and people who know they don't need the HDRP oe URP in their game can just uncheck those files at import