Search Unity

Best practices for managing a VR project which supports different platforms

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by UmairEm, Dec 8, 2016.

1. UmairEm

UmairEm

Hi

This might be a stupid question at this time but VR who VR.

I am working on a mobile VR app which will run on Oculus Gear VR and Google cardboard (and daydream later at some point). As I should eat the elephant one bite at a time, I have successfully completed the app for Gear VR. Now I want to import Google VR SDK and setup the scene for cardboard. I should copy the same scene for cardboard and replace the camera object (and other platform specific objects) with the one from Google VR sdk.
    What I really need to know is that what are the best practices to manage the project.

1. Would it be better if I keep two copies of project with different SDKs just to keep things in place and manageable as cardboard app would be for Android and IOS while Gear VR would only support Android. SDKs and native plugins gets really messy sometimes.

2. Or keeping everything in one project is better as I can make a change once (e.g update some feature in the app) and get it done for all platforms.

I would really appreciate any good advice or opinion

Thanks

2. Selzier

Selzier

3. UmairEm

UmairEm

Well I already wrote an editor script a while ago which does the same thing. In fact my whole code is running under pre-processor compiler symbols. I am concerned about project and scenes structure. Working on actual project is different than this "up and running" tutorial. For example publishing on Oculus store requires changes in AndroidManifest file. That's not all, having extra code causes additional uses-permissions in final build causing failure on Oculus store. I guess you got my understanding of differences in platforms.