Search Unity

Best Practice?

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by FlightOfOne, Oct 10, 2020.

1. FlightOfOne

FlightOfOne

Good day, All,

When you are using addressables do you put everything (audio, textures, prefabs) into one group (Base Game Resources) or do you spIit them up and create multiple groups? Like Game_Audio, Game_Texture. Or do you group them by something else, like IntroScene, or Vehicles?

I am trying to see how everyone else approaches this and is there an up or downside (performance/overhad, manageability, etc..) to doing it one way or the other.

I think spliting them up would make it easier to manage things but you can get carried away.

Cheers!

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

3. FlightOfOne

FlightOfOne

@Peter77 Hey, Thank you very much for sharing those, really appreciate it!

Peter77 likes this.
  4. FlightOfOne

FlightOfOne

@Peter77
    Hi Peter, Thanks again for sharing those links. I am still very new to the concept of addressables (and never really used asset bundles in the past). Your harbor and rail-yard analogy made some sense but I am trying to grasp the big picture and get that ah ha moment.

Could you please tell me how you would break up a project like this ?

Scenes
    5 play scenes (with maps and environment objects etc, static stuff, AI will be spawned in at run time).
    1 Lobby scene (with an environment and Main menu UI)
    1 Pause menu scene (with pause environment and Pause menu UI)
    1 Management scene (which handles the booting and where all the managements systems live in, other scenes are additive to this)

As for assets I have (Only listing few different examples):

AI
    - Tanks (Prefabs, Textures and materials for these)
    - Aircraft (Prefabs,Textures and materials for these)
    - Humanoids (Prefabs,Textures and materials for these)
    - Environment: Trees (Prefabs,Textures and materials for these)
    - Environment: Buildings (Prefabs,Textures and materials for these)

Audio (these are shared between the UI, AI and almost everything else, I think I should break these up into categories?)
    - Vehicle Sounds
    - Human Sounds
    - Weapon sounds
    - UI Sounds
    - Music

FX
    - Weapon particles
    - Vehicle particles
    - Explosions

Textures
    - GUI Textures

I was thinking I can create an asset kit, like a desert environment kit with all the dependencies of that kit and make a bundle out of that. Then I saw your dog example, and it looks like you are splitting that into much smaller parts. In my case would I create a separate bundle for each aircraft and its assets? Because this could amount to a lot separate bundles.

Also, any thoughts on how prefabs should be handled, because a prefab could have so many dependencies from different categories?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020