Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Best practice on sharing code between projects?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Mullan7, May 1, 2019.

1. Mullan7

Mullan7

I find myself copying and pasting a lot between projects. Or exporting packages with systems in them.

I would like to maintain a library with scripts that update in all of my projects at once so I can have a framework of sorts.

What's the best way to do this? I've seen git submodules and symbolic links suggested. What's the best practice?

2. dgoyette

dgoyette

3. lordofduct

lordofduct

I personally maintain a separate visual studio project, and when I update it I have build scripts that compile it and then copy it to whatever projects I want updated with it.

I also have a 'create project' script that creates new unity projects with all my files layed out and generates the buildscript to be ran that updates it when necessary.

Mind you when I say "scripts" in this context... I don't mean "unity scripts". I mean just general bash scripts.

4. andymads

andymads

We have common code on a separate SVN repo and use externals to bring it into multiple projects. Not perfect, but has served us well for several years now.

5. Mullan7

Mullan7

These all sound like good approaches. I think I'll try out the packages. Thanks!