Search Unity

Best practice for these games

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by NunoDinisSantos, May 22, 2019.

1. NunoDinisSantos

NunoDinisSantos

Hello everyone!
    I would like to make a game where I use hundreds (200-400) AI and I, as the player, am able to kill them.

However, I want to make it for Android and it must run smoothly on low end mobiles as well.

My question is, apart from using low poly models, using the same material with GPU instancing and no shadows, what else should I do to make this type of game?

Thanks in advance!

2. ibbybn

ibbybn

Bit too general a question perhaps but for mobile I'd try to avoid the AI using raycasts. Or at least spread those out over a couple of frames.

3. NunoDinisSantos

NunoDinisSantos

Thanks for the reply and sorry if I wasn't too specific.

Basically, I want to use as many agents I can but still having high fps.

I already have a game running but it starts to lag a lot with 50+ zombies. I'll try what you suggested !

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

General response for a general question.... Whenever you want to push the general limits of the engine or the hardware platform you're going to need to lean heavily on the Profiler and optimize, optimize, optimize. So profile your current 50 zombie game, see what is slowing it down, optimize that, rinse and repeat over and over.

You may end up having to develop custom systems to replace Unity or 3rd party you are using so they can run as CPU lean as possible, things like that. Just depends on what exactly is using the processing power in your game.