Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Best practice for large / long animations ?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by chasechampagne84, Apr 29, 2021.

1. chasechampagne84

chasechampagne84

I am currently developing a mobile app that requires a lot of mocap animation, and heavily dependent on facial animation, ie blendshapes / morph targets. I am currently using CC3 and iClone for character creation, animation, and exportation via FBX to Unity. Everything is working properly but I am noticing some large file sizes for the animations. For Instance, as of now one of the longest animations is 6k frames, which is a 15mb file. With all animations for the character totaling about 120mb. I have tried keyframe reduction in iClone and in Maya with no success once imported back into Unity.

Is there a way to reduce animation size?

What is the best practice when dealing with scenes that use large / long animations on characters?

Would GLTF be an option for this use case ?

Willing to look into any options to address these issues.

Chase C

2. Yandalf

Yandalf

I'm not experienced with mocap data unfortunately, but this does sound like you'll need to clean the data up BEFORE bringing it into Unity, as I'm fairly certain Unity does not have the tools for efficient animation cleanup (it has some keyframe reduction options on import, but they're very minimal in my experience).
    It might be better to look around for info in places dedicated to your authoring software (Maya, iClone, and CC3) rather than here.