Search Unity

Best practice for creating a mud / text adventure?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by evan140, Oct 25, 2017.

1. evan140

evan140

I want to keep going with the tutorial "Creating a Text Based Adventure"

Q. Would you do anything special for lots of text? If anybody else has played a MUD before, it's really easy to quickly go from room to room over and over, thus really making it a LOT of characters. Is there anything I should know about or avoid?

Q. I want to make words clickable and formatted like this.

• Room names have a bar that titles them, that stretches across the screen, separating it visually from other rooms and actions.
    • Characters, Directions, and Interactables work like a hyperlink on a webpage.

I'm just wondering, what would be the best way to start something like this? The unity tutorial has everything on one big string object. Would I want to make multiple string objects? If I were to use that Text Mesh Pro, would that change anything?

Not sure where to start.

2. methos5k

methos5k

TMP does offer support for character, and word selection in the text. You could look at some of the examples in the package :)

Some of your text (highlight) options look like they could be done with or without TMP, imo.

Good luck with your project. I love text things heh.

3. TonyLi

TonyLi

^ TMP is great for highlighting and links.

Where you might run into issues is lots of scrollback. If you need to allow the player to scroll back through their entire history, you might want to look into one of the optimized scrollview assets on the Asset Store, such as Super ScrollView or Optimized ScrollView Adapter.