Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Best possible shadow settings, using unity 5 to render animations...

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Cohmervac, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Cohmervac

Cohmervac

Title asks the question.
    Currently I'm having trouble getting nice, consistent shadows.

2. Cohmervac

Cohmervac

Also, how do I turn on global illumination?

3. Cohmervac

Cohmervac

Like, I want to set unity up for best possible graphics so I can render animations in it.

4. Cohmervac

Cohmervac

So... it's impossible then?

5. Stardog

Stardog

Window > Lighting. See here.

For graphics > Edit > Project Settings > Quality.

6. KingMatthew

KingMatthew

If you are making high quality animations, maybe making your own shadow shader would be best. Unity's shadows are designed to use as little processing power as possible. That of course lowers the quality of the shadow. If you don't want to make your own shadows, do what Stardog said.

7. Cohmervac

Cohmervac

Shadow shader? Is that different from a surface shader?
    Could you explain this some more to me and what kind of result I could get, I just want some crisper shadows that act a little more accurately here.

Could you point me to tutorials on how to program said shader too?

8. SeveredScion

SeveredScion

I think what KingMatthew meant by "shadow shader" is just make a custom shader to get the results you're after. There isn't really a type of shader called a shadow shader (at least not that I know of).

I think you're unlikely to get very helpful answers because you're asking a really general question - you're basically saying how do I make shadows that look awesome. Which is why you were pointed to the Unity documentation on lighting. You said you want "crisper shadows that act a little more accurately." For crisp shadows just select your light from the scene or hierarchy and in the inspector set shadow type to Hard Shadows. However that's not actually very realistic and doesn't look good and is probably not actually what you want. Soft shadows at high resolution tend to look better. As for Global Illumination, the settings are under Window-->Lighting. If you want a better answer you should probably be more specific about what you're looking for.

As was pointed out, because Unity is a game engine the shadows are designed to take up as little memory as possible, so of course they're not as high quality as shadows in an animation package like Maya or 3ds max.

theANMATOR2b likes this.