Search Unity

Question Best performance in HDRP, if I don't care about quality, how do I maximize FPS?

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by goodnewsjimdotcom, Jul 30, 2022.

1. goodnewsjimdotcom

goodnewsjimdotcom

Hello,

I monkeyed with numbers and was able to improve hdrp performance by a great deal(Got almost double the FPS of default HDRP). Still I'm not sure what I am doing.

Still when I am using HDRP now just because its the way forward, but hammers my FPS by 1/2 to 1/3 compared to URP.

How could I improve my performance even more? I almost don't care at all for quality right now. My settings are below in case they help anyone looking for performance or if you could help me get more performance.

I don't want to use HDRP, but it is the future.

So how can I maximize the FPS if I don't care about quality at all? My MMO network tech allows for a crazy number of players in game, DOTS/ECS allows for lots of AI then what happens is rendering becomes the limitation at this point. So faster FPS can mean hundreds of more players.

,Jim

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
    tmonestudio likes this.
  2. goodnewsjimdotcom

goodnewsjimdotcom

3. goodnewsjimdotcom

goodnewsjimdotcom

4. goodnewsjimdotcom

goodnewsjimdotcom

5. goodnewsjimdotcom

goodnewsjimdotcom

I think a post like this could help many. First off, I spent a few days getting the fastest HDRP FPS I could, so my stuff above is better than nothing. Second, many people want fast performing HDRP too.

6. ElevenGame

ElevenGame

I think this question cannot be answered in a vacuum like this. It all depends on the specifics of what you're rendering in the scene.. Also I think modern renderers like HDRP aren't built to get as much FPS as possible, the goal is more to have a stable 60 or 100 fps or whatever you target. The rules for optimization haven't changed: use Profiler to see what's happening and remove any workload that's not necessary.. If your visuals are final, you could then also modifiy the code of SRP itself and remove the stuff you don't need or optimize something specific..

Ryiah likes this.
  7. jjejj87

jjejj87

If you seriously want performance out of HDRP, then go hard on with DRS. Like force 50% FSR. It won't look pretty, so crank up contrast, sharpness and avoid all temporal effects. You should see about 50% FPS increase.

But, then at this point, I suggest you to use URP...because it would look better and perform better.
    What you are trying to do is taking a super car and trying to tune it down to a everyday car.
    Probably better to buy a everyday car. Just less hassle.

Ryiah likes this.
  8. Ryiah

Ryiah

I disagree. I don't think it can help much of anyone because the entire point of using HDRP is quality. If you want performance you should be using URP not HDRP.

9. jjejj87

jjejj87

Well, in general yes. But who knows...his project might require HDRP but some URP qualities as well. Life can force situations u know...

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

If you need the features of one pipeline but the performance of another the answer is to modify the pipeline not to dial down all of the default settings, and if that's not within your capabilities then you need to re-evaluate why you thought you needed it that way.

11. mick129

mick129

HDRP is not just for high end looking games.
    If I were to do a low poly game I would even use HDRP just for the lighting system.

As for the performance, HDRP can be extremely performant depending on what you need, especially if you compare it with URP + more features like volumetric light / fog etc.

PutridEx likes this.
  12. goodnewsjimdotcom

goodnewsjimdotcom

>If you need the features of one pipeline but the performance of another the answer is to modify the pipeline not to dial down all of the default settings, and if that's not within your capabilities then you need to re-evaluate why you thought you needed it that way.

I'm using HDRP because I'm making a MMORPG who is investing in the future 5-10 years.

Right now, everyone has low end computers, but after about 3 years, we scale into it.

I know my system architecture like nobody's business.

My question is 100% relevant, or you'll start arguing that every game system has it wrong for having low and high graphics options on the menu system.

At some point, you absolutely do want to have a choice for the lowest possible options. It does not mean you'll never use higher options.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
  13. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

You could try Deferred Only and a lower precision for the Color Buffer Format. Depending on your scene(s), Deferred may be a bit faster, but this would need to be profiled.
    upload_2022-8-4_0-34-35.png
    (instead of Forward and FP16 like in your screenshot above)

You can also reduce the precision of the grading (it won't make a big difference, except if you do some crazy color grading with extreme values):
    upload_2022-8-4_0-35-26.png

In Project Settings > Quality, you could also lower the Texture Quality.
    upload_2022-8-4_1-40-6.png

You can take it even further by disabling features directly in the HDRP Global Settings of Cameras and Reflections, you could for instance fully disable Shadows, Fog, Transparents, etc.
    upload_2022-8-4_0-42-44.png

And as already suggested, using Dynamic resolution (with FSR, or even TAAUpscaling based on your preference) will also yield better performance.

tmonestudio and xVergilx like this.
  14. goodnewsjimdotcom

goodnewsjimdotcom