Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Best option to create real mirrors in terms of performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ASIM-SENYUVA, Jun 22, 2020.

1. ASIM-SENYUVA

ASIM-SENYUVA

Hello,

We are a simulation system manufacturer. In our system, we use render texture for mirror. In the scene, we minimum uses 4 camera ( driver cam, left / right mirror, and rear mirror ), we integrate HDRP and adjust mirror rendering options for catch better performance, On the other hand, we just try to search new suggestions about making a mirror for driving simulation.

do you have any suggestions for making mirrors different way from Render Texture?

2. neginfinity

neginfinity

The other possibility is camera stacking. But that is not necessarily going to result in better performance.

Camera stacking means that you have multiple cameras in the scnee, each rendering their own scene on top of each other onto the same viewport, like photoshop layers.

3. Darkgaze

Darkgaze

I work on driver simulators too, where we also have 3 mirrors and several lights and cameras. Mirrors should always render simpler, with your own shader if you can create a simple one, removing all optical effects, reducing massively the far and near planes to a minimum, reducing the resolution of the image plane to the minimum you can, and also a good trick is to render alternatively. Maybe just once per X frames. That will result in a good looking mirror with very low consumption.
    Also, another trick is, if your mirrors are flat and they are both oriented in the same direction, you can use one texture for both. Render once for both and use the screen space shader to render both.

Also try to check if anyother computation is making is less efficient.

4. ASIM-SENYUVA

ASIM-SENYUVA

Thank you for the information. In our system, we have 5 monitors on the rig.

Our Rig like below
    1x 5750x1080p surrond ( 3 monitor )
    1x 1080x1920p ( 1 monitor )
    1x 1920x1080p ( 1 monitor )

I7 - 16GB RAM - GTX 1080

We also optimize mirror cameras renders, their resolution also full HD. Today I check the PC performance, CPU ~%43 GPU ~%35, RAM ~ 4GB. The hardware has more power but it does not affect the FPS. I do not understand here. Possible GPU or CPU waits for each other. On the other hand. When I add a secondary graphic card and make SLI the FPS suddenly down. I saw an article about SLI mode on NVIDIA, They said that The multiple GPU's waits for each other, When we add more GPU we can not say its double performance.