Search Unity

Best Modelling Apps for Unity

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by elias723, Jun 25, 2006.

1. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Not sure if you are aware of this, but you can re-map blender's mouse buttons:

Attached Files:

2. Morgan

Morgan

Anyone remember Real3D? Sweet physics engine and gobs of modeling tools, in the 90s. Now THAT had a daunting, scary interface.

3. islanddreamer

islanddreamer

I remember Real on the Amiga. I met the brothers who programmed that way back when. The physics were so impressive at the time, but I never got one frame out of it!

4. Morgan

Morgan

That's the one :) I own it, big ol' Amiga dongle and all. I DID get some frames out of it, but I only got so far with it. I also used Aladdin 4D, Caligari, and VideoScape 3D in my Amiga days :) VideoScape, of course, became LightWave.

5. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Ahhh... the Amiga. What a wonderful little machine. Remember "Guru Meditations"? (I think that's what it called it). Some real old farts on this forum, guess I'm not alone ;)

6. islanddreamer

islanddreamer

You never used Imagine or Turbo Silver or Sculpt 3D? Aladdin eventually became Cinema 4D didn't it?

I had them all. I got my A1000 in October of '85. I eventually owned a 2000, 3000 and 4000. I was with them til the bitter end.

7. Morgan

Morgan

Shamefully O/T, but yes I have briefly touched Turbo Silver. I think you might be right about Cinema 4D--I had forgotten that! Aladdin 4D was a pretty nice app, I recall. DeluzePaint IV remains the gold standard in feature-packed cool graphics apps, though :)

My Amiga 3000 has a dead HD but will live again some day. And of course I remember the Guru :) (I also had--or shared--an A1000, A500, and A2500.)

I even have an Amiga Joyboard--a product they made BEFORE Commodore bought them.

8. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Yeah, I know about that, but the remapping is quite limited. You can't make Blender use the same methods as Unity does for panning and rotating (and zooming, but they both also use the mouse wheel, so that one's mostly a moot point). I'd actually rather remap Unity's controls to make them like Blender's since I've been using Blender a lot longer, but one can't ask for everything. ;) (Well, not and expect to get it....)

--Eric

9. jeremyace

jeremyace

Heh heh, maybe it's just me, but who cares what the UI looks like as long as it works? I mean, a pretty interface is not going to do any work for you.

As long as you can work with whatever software efficiently, it doesn't matter what it looks like.

Just my opinion. :) I also like XSI's interface btw. The buttons are there for me to use, not to admire. If I want to admire buttons, I'll look at various webpages or flash pages.

-Jeremy

10. harrio

harrio

hey uniteam...
    has anyone checked out the latest release of mojoworld [3.1]? from what i've read, and i could be mistaken, they are now able to export terrain data. this app is similar to terragen. can either of these be a viable option for importing juicy terrain nuggets into unity?

11. gecko

gecko

We're trying to decide which 3d app to use, so I want to make sure I understand this advantage of C4D and Maya. From the docs, if you don't have the Maya or C4D app installed on your hd, then you have to export the files to FBX anyway. (I wouldn't necessarily have the 3d app on my hd because I'm not the 3d artist.) So does exporting to FBX eliminate this seamless import advantage, making these files no different than if they came from 3DS Max?

12. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Yes. If you export to fbx anyway, it's no different than using 3DS Max.
    It's very convenient to not having to convert to fbx though. Also when importing .mb files, you only need to have maya installed but not licensed on that particular machine since we are only using the Maya batchmode not the full maya for conversion.