Search Unity

Best Mice?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Macupuncture, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Macupuncture

Macupuncture

I just picked up a cheap Logitech mouse as a 3 button (actually the scroll is the 3rd button) and I can program it to work MOST of Unity's functions but not rotate.
    The scroll wheel is great for zooming, but I can't seem to get rotate to work without a key combination which makes it a little less useful than I would like.

Has anyone had better luck with a different mouse or do you have a way of getting UNity to recognise that ability? I'm a little surprised it's this difficult, but maybe I'm missing something.

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I don't think you can rotate in Unity without pressing Option. (Option-left click rotates, Option-middle click pans, Option-right click zooms.) If you had another button, you could use USB Overdrive to make it behave like Option-left click, so it would do what you want. Technically, you can do that anyway with the buttons you have...like, say, the 3rd button...but then you'd lose middle-click functionality.

--Eric

3. Macupuncture

Macupuncture

Yeah, I already programmed the mouse to do all that but it still doesn't work right. Wonder why?

4. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I had some problems with my Logitech mouse with Unity and Blender, so I went back to the "mighty mouse" that came with my iMac. I can't recall what exactly went wrong, but some basic functions just didn't seem to work. The mighty mouse drives me nutz though, the right click is a real pain. I'd love to find a 4 button mouse (with middle wheel button) that actually works with my iMac so I can dump that darn mighty (aweful) mouse once and for all...

5. Macupuncture

Macupuncture

Mighty Mouse is not Apple's best work....

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

My Logitech MX518 works flawlessly, in Blender and anything else. 6 buttons, though only 5 of them are easily accessible. (That's enough however. ;) )

--Eric

7. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

Kensington Optical Elite, USB Mouse. 5 buttons, works great for everything, even comes with it's own programability drivers. It's a fantastic mouse.

Alternatively I use my 6x8 Wacom Intuous3 Tablet pen/mouse. The only issue with this is when using the pen with Cinema 4D - the camera navigation gets all tweaked and spins out of control. To remedy that, there's tablet option in the C4d Preferences, but that makes the mouse visible on the screen, which limits the amount of navigation you can make with a single pen stroke. So what I prefer to do is keep the tablet option unchecked and use my pen in photoshop and either of my mice in Cinema.

Another downside to the wacom mouse is that many games don't support it at all, so I always have my kensington plugged in just in case.

8. taumel

taumel

MY Logitech didn't work under OSX, no matter if i installed the logitech drivers or not, till there was an OSX update. Dunno which version it got fixed but since this update everything is fine.

I used an old two button M$ mouse during the times where the logitech didn't work... ;O)

9. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

My MX500 works great with Unity and my 3D apps. Jeff

10. bytescruncher

bytescruncher

Go for Logitech G5 mouse it is far the best mouse I ever had. If you add the SteerMouse driver under osX (see http://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/) you can configure every mouse button (i.e. you can even mimic the apple mighty mouse behavior for dashboard and expose').
    Take care.

11. holmeren

holmeren

I cant seem to get my mouse to work on my g4..
    (logiteck mx 310)
    I cant open the app. in the dock but I can see the "mouse over" effect when the curser runs over the dock...
    any suggestions?

Cheers

12. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

as an option:

Try a second hand Wacom tablet, maybe a simple Graphire 2 (As I have); working with them (pen and tablet)you feel very comfortable and you mouse preferences will get used with the tablet's pen, or change them at the Wacom's preference panel.

the tablets doesn't need a high end computer and works on any OS (MAC, Win or Linux, even on SGI machines)

13. holmeren

holmeren

cool I have a tablet.. ill try

thanks