Search Unity

Best light laptop for trip&work in Unity3D?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bakir-omarov, Sep 16, 2018.

1. bakir-omarov

bakir-omarov

Hi,

I wanna buy new laptop for my trips, i have one, but it has old CPU and a bit heavy for road trips.
    So what i need:

1) Long work time in Unity 3D, 5-6 hours at least.
    2) Light weight, <2 kg
    3) Good CPU/GPU for Unity 3D (mobile low poly games), Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Web Surfing, Visual Studio.
    4) Good,strict (no neon lights, glowing RGB keyboards) design.
    5) At least 2k monitor, 15+inches.
    6) Price under 2.000$

My list. every of them has some disadvantages:
    1) MacBook Pro 2.3GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 8GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory 256GB SSD storage
    2) Microsoft Surface Laptop (Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB) - GPU SUCKS
    3) Huawei MateBook X Pro Signature Edition Thin & Light Laptop, 13.9" 3K Touch, 8th Gen i7-8550U, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, GeForce MX150
    4) ASUS ZenBook Flip UX461UN-DS74T i7-8550U, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, NVIDIA MX150 2GB, 14"

BUT, what is the best choice for Unity 3D? What is your advice? Thanks!

2. halley

halley

My personal best choice is "only use a laptop if you absolutely must, to check/fix something really quick." Second choice would be a beefy laptop plugged in at the home/office with all the suitable three-button mice and large monitors necessary to get work done. The problem with laptops is that they heat-throttle your performance horribly, and heat is also the enemy of battery health. Expect to change batteries after only 1 year of heavy CPU/GPU usage.

Of your choices, I would go with an MBP, with as much RAM and SSD as you can afford in it. It would suffice for both situations above.

bakir-omarov likes this.
  3. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I don't think you'll get this without resorting to a power plug.

For office type usage laptops can easily reach that these days, but not for 3D stuff that I know of. Basically, laptop power usage is optimised around the fact that most software is somewhat dormant most of the time that you're not actively giving input. (This is a simplification.) The way game engines work directly opposes this optimisation, since they essentially always want to get the most out of your biggest power draining components, the CPU and GPU.

Both of the laptops here - a Surface and a beefy gaming thing - last for ages when they're not running game engines, but drop down to about 2 hours battery life when you're playing games or working in an Editor. Furthermore, beefy GPUs don't run at full speed off a battery because they can't. Just as overheating is bad for batteries, so is draining them too quickly.

Also keep in mind that batteries degrade over time. The battery life you get while new is not what you'll get further into your laptop's life.

I find it interesting that you've flagged the Surface as "GPU SUCKS", but not the MacBook Pro. I thought that both had pretty similar GPU options at the entry level?

Ryiah and zombiegorilla like this.
  4. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Yea, cut the battery time in roughly half if you are using unity. Though the new MBPs charge pretty quickly, I would guess most modern laptops do as well. Also if you do end up choosing the MBP, make sure to get it with the max ram available, ram is not upgradable.

5. bart_the_13th

bart_the_13th

if you want long battery life, go with something that only use intel integrated graphic card. as you said, you only use it for developing mobile games so it wont need powerful dedicated gpu.
    also while i3 give you less power than i7, it also consume less electrical power so it might patch up more battery life

6. Murgilod

Murgilod

All of those GPUs are terrible, honestly. iirc, the GeForce MX150 is just a 1030, which is a dreadful card.

7. BrewNCode

BrewNCode

A friend of mine who only uses Unreal Engine actually uses a Razer Blade stealth 14". He says that is incredibly powerful and gets the job done.

8. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

You cant get a compact laptop with a good GPU.