Search Unity

Best HTTP Released

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BestHTTP, Sep 11, 2013.

1. BestHTTP

BestHTTP

@Shankar-Ganesh

That xml would be used if you use the android platform provided HTTP client. The plugin uses plain TCP channels and the os doesn't know what kind of data is going through it.

By setting the HTTPManager's Proxy, all communication from the plugin will go through that proxy. But, the plugin still uses multiple connections (tcp channels), so there's no relation between the proxy and connection count!

2. akitsu

akitsu

@BestHTTP got everything working. Everything works fine now and was able rip off 60% old because of that. HUGE thanks again!

3. Volpi91

Volpi91

I have final question, how you can get both compressed and uncompressed file size?

4. BestHTTP

BestHTTP

@Volpi91

If you are lucky, the server sends the content with a Content-Length header so you can know the compressed length. The uncompressed size is what you have access to in the HTTPResponse object:

Code (CSharp):
    1. private void OnRequestFinished(HTTPRequest req, HTTPResponse resp)
    2. {
    3.     switch (req.State)
    4.     {
    5.         // The request finished without any problem.
    6.         case HTTPRequestStates.Finished:
    7.             if (resp.IsSuccess)
    8.             {
    9.                 print("Uncompressed length: " + resp.Data.Length);
    10.                 print("Compressed length: " + resp.GetFirstHeaderValue("content-length"));
    11.                 Debug.Log("Uncompressed response: " + resp.DataAsText);
    12.             }
    13.             else
    14.             {
    15.                 Debug.LogWarning(string.Format("Request finished Successfully, but the server sent an error. Status Code: {0}-{1} Message: {2}",
    16.                                                 resp.StatusCode,
    17.                                                 resp.Message,
    18.                                                 resp.DataAsText));
    19.             }
    20.             break;
    22.         // The request finished with an unexpected error. The request's Exception property may contain more info about the error.
    23.         case HTTPRequestStates.Error:
    24.             Debug.LogError("Request Finished with Error! " + (req.Exception != null ? (req.Exception.Message + "\n" + req.Exception.StackTrace) : "No Exception"));
    25.             break;
    27.         // The request aborted, initiated by the user.
    28.         case HTTPRequestStates.Aborted:
    29.             Debug.LogWarning("Request Aborted!");
    30.             break;
    32.         // Connecting to the server is timed out.
    33.         case HTTPRequestStates.ConnectionTimedOut:
    34.             Debug.LogError("Connection Timed Out!");
    35.             break;
    37.         // The request didn't finished in the given time.
    38.         case HTTPRequestStates.TimedOut:
    39.             Debug.LogError("Processing the request Timed Out!");
    40.             break;
    41.     }
    42. }

5. akitsu

akitsu

yeah got lucky server sented right information, how I get that data streaming, not as single value, like bytesdownloaded += resp.GetFirstHeaderValue("content-length"));

6. BestHTTP

BestHTTP

@akitsu

I'm sorry but i don't get it.

7. Volpi91

Volpi91

OnRequestFinished you get as single value how big compressed file was. So I want percentage how much has been downloaded of compressed file

8. BestHTTP

BestHTTP

9. akitsu

akitsu

but thats also returns decompressed amount of downloaded

10. BestHTTP

BestHTTP

@akitsu

No.
    Download progress always reports the raw downloaded bytes, and if possible the length of the content the server sends (raw, compressed bytes from the content-length header). Progress report happens first, then decompression and the decompressed data is sent to the streaming handler or buffered if no streaming.

11. akitsu

akitsu

Thanks was again fix the problem!

12. unity3_unity131

unity3_unity131

Hello,
    i have one question how many time socket connect and disconnect. i'm currently working socket event. i have face a problem socket connect minimum 4 time. than after not connecting socket

13. BestHTTP

BestHTTP

@unity3_unity131

There's a ReconnectionAttempts field in the SocketOptions class that you can set:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. SocketOptions options = new SocketOptions();
    2. options.ReconnectionAttempts = 10;
    4. Manager = new SocketManager(new Uri(address), options);

14. craigmann

craigmann

first pass on REST POST here...

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System;
    2. using System.Text;
    3. using System.Collections;
    4. using System.Collections.Generic;
    5. using UnityEngine;
    6. using UnityEngine.UI;
    7. using UnityEngine.Events;
    8. using UnityEngine.Networking;
    9. using BestHTTP;
    11. public class Main : MonoBehaviour
    12. {
    13.   public static Main Instance;
    15.   private string jsonString;
    17.   void Start()
    18.   {
    19.     Instance = this;
    20.   }
    22.   private void OnRequestFinished(HTTPRequest req, HTTPResponse resp)
    23.   {
    24.     Debug.Log(resp.DataAsText);
    25.   }
    27.   public void HandleLogin(string URL, string KEY, string SECRET)
    28.   {
    29.     jsonString = "{ \"key\": \"" + KEY + "\", \"secret\": \"" + SECRET + "\" }";
    31.     var request = new HTTPRequest(new Uri(URL), HTTPMethods.Post, OnRequestFinished);
    32.     request.SetHeader("Content-Type", "application/json; charset=UTF-8");
    33.     request.RawData = Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes(jsonString);
    34.     request.Send();
    35.   }
    36. }
    besides the 500 from my service, I see the following in Unity console..

[637220282209932120] Err [VariableSizedBufferPool]: Buffer already added to the pool!
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    BestHTTP.Logger.DefaultLogger:Error(String, String) (at Assets/Best HTTP/Source/Logger/DefaultLogger.cs:76)
    BestHTTP.PlatformSupport.Memory.BufferPool:AddFreeBuffer(Byte[]) (at Assets/Best HTTP/Source/PlatformSupport/Memory/BufferPool.cs:491)
    BestHTTP.PlatformSupport.Memory.BufferPool:Release(Byte[]) (at Assets/Best HTTP/Source/PlatformSupport/Memory/BufferPool.cs:281)
    BestHTTP.Extensions.BufferPoolMemoryStream:Dispose(Boolean) (at Assets/Best HTTP/Source/Extensions/BufferPoolMemoryStream.cs:244)
    System.IO.Stream:Dispose()
    BestHTTP.HTTPRequest:SendOutTo(Stream) (at Assets/Best HTTP/Source/HTTPRequest.cs:1333)
    BestHTTP.Connections.HTTP1Handler:RunHandler() (at Assets/Best HTTP/Source/Connections/HTTP1Handler.cs:50)
    BestHTTP.Connections.HTTPConnection:ThreadFunc() (at Assets/Best HTTP/Source/Connections/HTTPConnection.cs:118)
    BestHTTP.PlatformSupport.Threading.<>c__DisplayClass4_0:<RunLongLiving>b__0() (at Assets/Best HTTP/Source/PlatformSupport/Threading/ThreadedRunner.cs:79)
    System.Threading.ThreadHelper:ThreadStart(Object)

thoughts?

15. BestHTTP

BestHTTP

@craigmann

What version of the plugin are you using?

16. craigmann

craigmann

BestHTTP/2 Version: 2.0.5
    Unity Version: 2019.3.3f1

17. BestHTTP

BestHTTP

@craigmann

Hmm, that quite strange. Could you send a repro-project to me?

18. craigmann

craigmann

sent a pm to share

19. hung-vt

hung-vt

Hi! I got 'failed: Error in connection establishment: net::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID' error when I tried to connect to socket.io on my node.js server. You can visit my site: cotuongtv.vn to get more info. Please tell me how to fix this!
    ===========update==============
    I can connect to socket.io perfectly fine from android, ios or editor but webgl. I tried some setting in nginx but it did not work :(

20. BestHTTP

BestHTTP

@hung-vt

Under WebGL the plugin must use the underlying browser's XmlHTTPRequest and Websocket implementation and they are very strict. I would suggest to open your browser's Developer tools and check its Console and Network tabs. They can be very helpful identifying errors. Then you can search for those errors.

21. hung-vt

hung-vt

solved it! the problem is I did not connect to socket.io via domain name. I connect to my server by ip address. not sure how it works but it's fine for now. thanks

22. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I am interested to buy your asset but not sure for what i can use it.
    If i am making a game like clash of clan for example, for what can i use your asset to support this kind of game?
    Not that i want to make such a game but it is good for understanding for me.
    Can i connect from that kind of ios/android game to a server and check some values, save the new map that i placed my troops and buildings to the server, download a map from another user so that i can fight against his map and then save the results of the fight savely on the server again?
    Can i change values to the games from the server so that it uses the christmas theme or download the cristmas textures?
    Can i let the players chat together in the games based on guilds or locations?
    I know that i have to program the most things in the game myself but i am not sure if your asset is what i imagine. I just have some kind of feeling that it could help me in some areas to use a modern way and not have to use the old php scripts anymore. I am not a webprogrammer but willing to learn.

23. BestHTTP

BestHTTP

@RandAlThor

The package implements multiple protocols that you can use for various goals:
    - You can use regular HTTP requests to check some values on a server, download or upload maps or other content, upload player moves and download opponent's.
    - A higher level protocol (Socket.IO, SignalR Core) with persistent connection to the server can be used for real-time chat, or other real-time uses (multiplayer for example).

You still have to keep around your old php scripts, as the plugin is a client side solution only.

While you can do HTTP requests with Unity's own solutions, the plugin supports connection pooling, cookies, caching with transparent offline use of the cache (depending on the server sent headers), the new HTTP/2 protocol and a lot more. All higher level protocols are built on top of these!

RandAlThor likes this.
  24. roointan

roointan

@BestHTTP
    Hello, couldn't understand from the docs, so I'm asking here.
    Are both OnError and OnErrorDesc called when an error happens? (WebSocket)

25. BestHTTP

BestHTTP

@roointan

That's a bug in the documentation that i just fixed (thanks for pointing it out!), with recent versions there's only one OnError callback.

roointan likes this.
  26. roointan

roointan

27. BestHTTP

BestHTTP

@roointan

I think you see the old version cached by your browser.

28. BestHTTP

BestHTTP

29. roointan

roointan

30. BestHTTP

BestHTTP

@roointan

The only difference between them is how the error is passed to the callback. OnError receives it as an exception, while OnErrorDesc receives a string. Otherwise they are identical. OnError with an exception was a bad choose when i initially implemented Websocket and i fixed it in the new version(removed OnErrorDesc and OnError receives a string now).

As they have the very same behavior you can use whatever you choose to, but i would recommend to use OnErrorDesc as it would make easier a future upgrade to the new version.

roointan likes this.
  31. roointan

roointan

@BestHTTP
    The game team I'm working with wants me to recognise packet loss and warn the player about network issues.
    Not when I expect a response, but also when I should be receiving a response.
    I see the default value for ping frequency is 1000, so at most with a delay of 1 second I should be able to know I'm not receiving network messages.
    Is that correct?
    And how?
    And if not correct, how can I recognise packet loss and network issues?

(I also tried taking a look at webSocket.Latency, but it's always 0. All the time.)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  32. BestHTTP

BestHTTP

@roointan

I don't think you could detect packet losses just from latency fluctuation. Latency can grow for other reasons too (congestion is a very real one for example).

Just tried out and it works as expected, however, you have to set StartPingThread to true, otherwise pings are not sent.

What you can do is to use Latency as an indicator for network condition, but it's calculated when the plugin receives back a pong message from the server. So, while latency can show that's everyting is OK, in reality the tcp connection might be already broken. But the plugin also exposes LastMessageReceived and that's when the plugin could read the last server message. If ping frequency is set to a lower value and the time between now and LastMessageReceived starts growing that can show that something is going wrong.

roointan likes this.
  33. roointan

roointan

I don't regularly send messages, but a message could be being sent to me.
    So I need to know the connection is healthy.
    Enabling the StartPingThread also can't work for me, because it throws error after 10 seconds and I'm not sending messages regularly.
    I just wanted to ping, and decide based on latency myself
    (The decision is not closing the connection, but displaying a blinking wifi on screen)

I hope we can go further from here, but thanks for the help.

34. BestHTTP

BestHTTP

@roointan

I don't know what error you receive, but sending a ping would trigger a server message (pong) too and you could blink your wifi icon every time websocket's LastMessageReceived is different when you last blinked.

35. roointan

roointan

This message:
    No message received in the given time! Closing WebSocket. LastMessage: ...

But oh, I think I need to change CloseAfterNoMesssage too.

Though, I still can't get a correct value for Latency. it's always 0. I'm testing in the Editor, could it be any different on actual device?
    And last time message received doesn't help me too. I wanted to know when was the last time a ping correctly received a pong.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  36. BestHTTP

BestHTTP

@roointan

That error means that no message is received at all from the server in the given time (10 seconds by default). There should be no difference on a device.

37. roointan

roointan

Ok we will accept it as is.
    I have another issue with websocket.
    On Android, when I switch network (like from wifi to 4G, or enable a VPN), the library correctly identifies loss of connectivity and throws an event.
    On iOS though, this does not happen. The websocket state remains open, but messages don't pass through. And no error or close event (and the game hangs in there).
    Any solution for this?

38. thetomatodev

thetomatodev

I am trying to call my azure signalR functions using best https.
    This is a test app I have created
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using Microsoft.AspNetCore.Http;
    2. using Microsoft.Azure.WebJobs;
    3. using Microsoft.Azure.WebJobs.Extensions.Http;
    4. using Microsoft.Azure.WebJobs.Extensions.SignalRService;
    6. namespace TestApp
    7. {
    8.     public static class TestFunc
    9.     {
    10.         [FunctionName("negotiate")]
    11.         public static SignalRConnectionInfo GetSignalRInfo(
    12.         [HttpTrigger(AuthorizationLevel.Anonymous, "post")] HttpRequest req,
    13.         [SignalRConnectionInfo(HubName = "chat")] SignalRConnectionInfo connectionInfo)
    14.         {
    15.             return connectionInfo;
    16.         }
    18.         [FunctionName("TestFunc")]
    19.         public static string Test(
    20.           [HttpTrigger(AuthorizationLevel.Anonymous, "get","post")] object message,
    21.           [SignalR(HubName = "chat")] IAsyncCollector<SignalRMessage> signalRMessages)
    22.         {
    23.             return "okscene";
    24.         }
    26.     }
    27. }
    And this is how I am calling the above code
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public void testsignalr()
    2.         {
    3.             IProtocol protocol = null;
    4. #if BESTHTTP_SIGNALR_CORE_ENABLE_GAMEDEVWARE_MESSAGEPACK
    5.             protocol = new MessagePackProtocol();
    6. #else
    7.             protocol = new JsonProtocol(new LitJsonEncoder());
    8. #endif
    9.              connection = new HubConnection(new Uri(AZURE_TITLE_URL), protocol);
    10.             connection.AuthenticationProvider = new AzureSignalRServiceAuthenticator(connection);
    11.             connection.OnConnected += Hub_OnConnected;
    12.             connection.OnError += Hub_OnError;
    13.             connection.OnClosed += Hub_OnClosed;
    14.             connection.StartConnect();
    16.         }
    18.         private void Hub_OnConnected(HubConnection obj)
    19.         {
    21.             connection.Send("TestFunc");
    23.             connection.Invoke<string>("TestFunc")
    24.                 .OnSuccess(ret => OnSuccess())
    25.                 .OnError(error => OnFailure());
    27.         }
    I get connected but "TestFunc" doesn't gets called. Am I doing something wrong here?

39. alvinchung

alvinchung

@BestHTTP

I found an issue here.

The "Reset" method in "HTTPUpdateDelegator" will cause an error when sending requests in EditorMode testing.

"Reset" is actually an EditorMode event name. Therefore, if
    go.AddComponent<HTTPUpdateDelegator>()
    is executed in EditorMode, Unity will randomly throw error like
    [Error] Failed to call static function Reset because an object was provided

Renaming "Reset" to some other name like "ResetSetup" will fix the issue.

40. BestHTTP

BestHTTP

@roointan

Unfortunately, reporting when the TCP channel is broken is up to the underlying OS. The plugin would detect the error when it tries to send data, but if there’s no error the plugin just can’t know that there’s any problem with the connection.

roointan likes this.
  41. BestHTTP

BestHTTP

@thetomatodev

As i see your TestFunc can be triggered through HTTP: HttpTrigger(AuthorizationLevel.Anonymous, "get","post")

42. BestHTTP

BestHTTP

@alvinchung

Reset is there to support Unity's experimental Enter Play Mode Settings. To this date didn't receive any issues about it, so i'm quite intersted when you receive this error and what version of Unity are you using.

43. alvinchung

alvinchung

@BestHTTP

The following is an example EditMode test with BestHttp/2
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         [UnityTest]
    2.         public IEnumerator TestSimpleHttp()
    3.         {
    4.             var req = new HTTPRequest(new Uri("https://www.google.com"));
    5.             req.Send();
    6.             yield return _EditorModeAdvance(req);
    7.         }
    9.         public static IEnumerator _EditorModeAdvance(IEnumerator block)
    10.         {
    11.             while (block.MoveNext())
    12.             {
    13.                 HTTPManager.OnUpdate();
    14.                 yield return null;
    15.             }
    16.         }
    It failed when it is executed first time after opening the project.
    The error message is
    The root cause is that Unity considers Reset is a Unity Message but also declared as a static method.
    See https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/MonoBehaviour.Reset.html
    Note my Unity version is 2018.4.13f1.

44. BestHTTP

BestHTTP

45. wicea

wicea

@BestHTTP Hi!
    Could you please explain me about the implementation of timeout properties?

I'm a bit confused with my results of tests.

My tests.
    I tested networking in 100% packet loss mode (I'm using Network Link Conditioner for OS X, but I'm not sure that it's important).
    And discovered that first POST request always returns ConnectionTimeout error after ~20-25 seconds.
    I tried to set properties (differenet values - 2, 5, 10 seconds) globally in manager and locally for requests - nothing changed.

Code (CSharp):
    2. HTTPManager.ConnectTimeout = TimeSpan.FromSeconds(2);
    3. HTTPManager.RequestTimeout = TimeSpan.FromSeconds(2);
    4. ...
    5. httpRequest.MaxRetries = 0;
    6. httpRequest.ConnectTimeout = TimeSpan.FromSeconds(2);
    7. httpRequest.Timeout = TimeSpan.FromSeconds(2);
    8. httpRequest.Send();
    As a result any GET request will return callback after 2 seconds.
    But POST request returns callback after 20-25 seconds. If I retry POST it begins to return callback after 2 seconds as intended.

Is it by design?
    I'm using v.2.0.5 from your last PM.

46. BestHTTP

BestHTTP

@wicea

In v2.0.6 there's a fix to make timeouts better, you should be able to upgrade without any issues. Also, if you could send logs, that would be helpful.

47. wicea

wicea

Yeah, seems your fix is working. I'm receiving timeouts after 2 sec right now.
    Thanks!

48. naqueve

naqueve

Page 59 by IVPathfinder

I'm seeing this same issue ramdomly. The server's logger doesnt even log the request. The BestHTTP logger also says
    Status Line: ''

Also I dont see this log before the "Status Line" one when it fails.
    [637232034159089506] I [ConnectionEventHelper]: Processing connection event: [ConnectionEventInfo SourceConnection: [-1006031360:http://localhost:3000], Event: ProtocolSupport, State: Initial, ProtocolSupport: HTTP1]

I use the latest version (2.0.6) with
    Code (CSharp):
    1. request.DisableCache = true;
    2. request.MaxRetries = 0;
    (I tried without them and it still happens)

Do you know how can i fix this issue?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  49. BestHTTP

BestHTTP

@naqueve

This error happens when the plugin wrote the request to the network and waiting for the response. But, instead of a valid response, the tcp channel got broken or closed and the plugin couldn't read anything.

You can try disabling connection reuse:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. HTTPManager.KeepAliveDefaultValue = false;
    Or lower the connection idle time:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. HTTPManager.MaxConnectionIdleTime = TimeSpan.FromSeconds(10);

50. naqueve

naqueve

Thank you for your explanation! I will try to fix it with that.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020