Search Unity

Best free SSRR solution?

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by jefferytitan, Dec 13, 2018.

1. jefferytitan

jefferytitan

Hi all,

There's a project that I'm keeping an eye on which (amongst other things) has voxel reflections. It would be awesome to combine it with a good SSRR solution for reflection quality. I'm wondering what the best SSRR solution would be to base it on. I've seen a few implementations around, for example kode80's, Charke's Stochastic Screen Space Reflection, the Unity Post-Processing one.

Firstly does anyone know of any other implementations worth mentioning? Secondly, has anyone got hands-on experience with any of them, e.g. performance, benefits, downsides?

Ideally I'd want performance, multiple bounce reflections and glossiness support.

Thanks in advance,
    JT

2. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I never got anything but odd black blobs out of the PP stack v2's SSR. It's useless in my use cases. Best free ones I've seen have been that Stochastic SSR (but it's pretty noisy even after TAA) and Unity's SSR on cinematic effects:
    https://bitbucket.org/Unity-Technologies/cinematic-image-effects or https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/essentials/beta-projects/legacy-cinematic-image-effects-51515

Unity claimed that this SSR version was too perf heavy so they changed and optimized it for the PP stack v2 (note: it's possible PPv2 SSR works on some specific scenario, I never could use that version on anything due to the mentioned artifacts).

Unity's HDRP has also nice SSR now built-in. You need latest HDRP 4.x (Unity 2018.3) or HDRP 5.x (Unity 2019.1) for it.

jefferytitan likes this.
  3. jefferytitan

jefferytitan

Hmm, I've heard other bad things about it. I wonder if it's broken, or just really hard to configure?

When you say it's noisy, does it take a long time to converge, but when it does it looks good?

Did you find it too performance heavy? Does it look good?

Good to know. Sadly the project I'm looking at doesn't support HDRP yet. They're (understandably) a little dubious that it's stabilised enough, as many new Unity technologies suffer from.

4. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I mean, it has this grain that always looks "alive", you'll know what I mean if you try it.

I never ran any benchmarks. It doesn't look amazing but it certainly works better than the newer one.

IMO you should try all alternatives yourself, see how they look on your own project and examine the perf on the settings that look acceptable for you.

jefferytitan likes this.
  5. jefferytitan

jefferytitan

By the way, to me it seems somewhat redundant to have stochastic effects and also TAA. Aren't you kind of doubling up on sampling?