Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Best format for video player - so far playback of 4K video is really slow

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by zacware, Sep 9, 2017.

1. zacware

zacware

I'm actually working on using video in VR on a Vive, but regardless of that effort it seems that in general the new video player doesn't seem to be using my hardware for help. I have a 3.5 GHZ quad core cpu and a GTX1080 Video card, but anything in the 4K range is tough to playback. I've tried MP4's using H264 and AVI formats using FFMPEG to try different settings, but nothing works. Playing the videos outside of Unity works great, and/or if I use something like the AVPro Asset, or another asset that uses FFMPEG on it's own

I've tried lowering the FPS, and changing the bitrate, and doing power of 2 resolutions, but I haven't found anything that seems to help with the built in player. I would say it can't do it, but in searching the forums I see people say it doesn't work for them either, but other people saying it works fine for them with 4K content.

2. MUGIK

MUGIK

Hi!
    Did you find solution for 4K video?
    I tried HAP encoded video, but for 4 min video its generating 25GB video file...

3. dormouse

dormouse

Hello, I have the same issue!
    But I have an alternative solution about that. I have tested my Alienware with R15 GTX 1070, I have the same issue with you. Outside Unity3D with other players, it works well.
    Then in my office I have a high-end PC with GTX titan X, Playing 4K video on this big machine with Unity3D, there's no losing frame/lag anymore.

I think Unity3D video player or 4K video preview rendering within Unity3D has a memory limitation or something else. While you change your 4K video resultion to 512*512 it plays well :)

Do you know where we can submit it bug/error ?
    Best

4. LT23Live

LT23Live

This is still an issue 3 years later...