Search Unity

Best for the business side of gamedev?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CyberInteractiveLLC, Apr 21, 2019.

1. CyberInteractiveLLC

CyberInteractiveLLC

**Mistake on thread title it should say "Best books..." Sorry .

As per the title, I searched around alittle seems most of those books have authors which I never heard of or can not get results of their accomplishments within the game industry

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

You can edit title.
    Risk with books is, that unless the talk about generic algorithms and techniques, they can quickly go out of date.
    I.e. examples, which often are collections of few years assets. If not copied directly, what is already on internet.

3. Ony

Ony

Which aspect of the game dev business are you interested in reading about? Which sector? I've been heavily inspired by plenty of business books in the past, but very, very few of them were specifically game development oriented. If you can share a bit more details about what you're looking for it would help.

Also, if you haven't checked out Boss Fight Books, I highly suggest you run there now.

Meltdown likes this.
  4. Martin_H

Martin_H

Thanks for the recommendation!

@frosted: They have a whole book about Jagged Alliance 2!

Ony likes this.
  5. Meltdown

Meltdown

If free to play economies are more your thing, check out Will Luton's Free2Play book, and if you want to take a deep dive, I mean a deep deep dive, check out Eric Seufert's book.

Ryiah likes this.
  6. CyberInteractiveLLC

CyberInteractiveLLC

I agree but mostly for technical books (coding, etc...) don't you think business side techniques are slower to get outdated?

7. Antypodish

Antypodish

It also depends, how tech evolves. There was point, where social media become important in game dev (topic deep as sea) and selling CD become outdated. Then micro transactions become a thing. And online shops. And mobile market boomed. Yet getting much out of that market, is completely different, what was 5 years ago. So as long tech is steady, business will be steady. But popularity of certain tech, may shift profitability of certain approaches.

Weather is evolving slower than particular scripts compatibility become obsolete, is rather speculations.
    But I wouldn't assume for sure, that business side techniques are slower to get outdated, either it is right, or wrong.
    So personally, I would be rather careful, on picking title / first publication date / content.