Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Best development flow for animations from Blender

Discussion in 'Animation' started by thefuturebymob, Jul 1, 2020.

1. thefuturebymob

thefuturebymob

Hi,

I am currently developing a game using Blender for all my animations, and Unity for the rest. I'm a bit lostt though on what type of flow/process scales wrt animations ? I have a couple of animations for a single character, and have saved those as actions eg IdleLegTwitch, IdleArmScratch etc, next will be more animations for the same character eg RunScared, RunPanting etc. Then there will be other animations for other characters. How can I organise these hierarchically ?

After I import these into Unity I want the ability to go back to Blender and edit them, and see the changes in Unity etc without deleting everything and re-linking/referencing etc

Is there a recommended flow for this ? I've read up on the NLA, actions, channels, action editor, dope sheet, fbx import/.blend etc. And I am pretty confused. Can anyone help out with what hey have successfully used in the past, and what type of files/transfer they use from Blender ie .blend or .fbx (I've read .blend runs the .fbx gen - bit opinions on file type also seems divided ?

The game will have 5 levels, with 30/40 animations across several different characters on each level, each animation will be around 60 frames, as I will also like to blend them. I wrote some c# to randomise the animations playing on the main character, but I would also like to blend/state machine them aswell. That will be the next challenge.

Thanks

Marcus