Search Unity

Question Best current networking solution for fast paced arena shooter?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by ClownOfMadness, Jun 10, 2022.

1. ClownOfMadness

ClownOfMadness

The title says it all. Long time have I wanted to jump into developing multiplayer game but with so many networking solutions I'm having hard time to understand which one to stick with.

Don't want to start working on one solution only to find out it doesn't fit to my sort of game

I'm trying to create fast paced high precision arena shooter, no need for dedicated server and preferably free or fairly cheap.

Thank you!

2. r31o

r31o

Easy way: Photon PUN
    Server authoritative: Fish-Networking, Photon fusion

PUN is the easiest, and includes a relay server (to connect between player without portforwarding) but there is no way of preventing hackers, since is p2p.

A server authoritative alternative for PUN is photon fusion (It can also run on p2p mode)
    it also includes the relay, and is more efficient (but harder)

And finnaly, the one I use, fish-net. It can run on server-client or p2p mode (there are some free relays for that). Is also very efficient, and with built in client side prediction and (pro only) lag compensation.

Both PUN and fusion have 20 free ccu (concurrent users), and you have to pay if you want more.
    Fish-Net can be used for completely free (the steamworks transport can be used as a free relay, but you have to put your game on steam) and, with fish-net pro, you have offline transport, lag compensation, network transform extrapolation...

The choice is yours

ClownOfMadness likes this.